The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Anyone got any killer ab routines??

I don't really have one.

I just tend to focus on keeping the abs tight when deadlifting, back squatting, ect...

If i were to give advice it would be to incorporate a little abs in your routine, but never a full day.

Sounds like your still pretty new to weight lifting. If I were you I'd focus on training for now and not worry about bulking or cutting. Wait until you hit a wall before worrying about that. Right now just try to lift consistently and get better each session.

Pretty much I am, I've lifted before but never consistent enough to get gains, so Its like a lifestyle change now for me.... Yeah I'm just going to keep lifting heavy, increasing weight every week on my workouts, doing cardio and eating clean.

I gained 14lbs in a month from 108g of isoflex protein and food in 4 n half weeks

not good. You gained to much to fast. 0.5 pounds a week is optimal (maybe a little more) if you wanna avoid fat gains. It will come back to bite you in the ass later. Also at least 10lbs of that is fat/water, you can only gain around 4lbs (biological limit) of muscle a month and thats if you do EVERYTHING perfectly which almost no one does.

Thank god for Greek Yogurt. I've been staying on Low Carb diet for a couple of months now, kind of annoying with all the delicious food I'm missing out, but I'm definitely noticing a difference physique-wise. 158 to 150 pounds, now I just want to get some muscle tone on.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

Thank god for Greek Yogurt. I've been staying on Low Carb diet for a couple of months now, kind of annoying with all the delicious food I'm missing out, but I'm definitely noticing a difference physique-wise. 158 to 150 pounds, now I just want to get some muscle tone on.

you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight. If it fits your macros.

Good leg day. 5 deadlift sets, 5 squat sets..

Has anyone else given up with calf muscles? Some people can get those tennis ball shaped calves, but I am certainly not one. I know other guys bigger than me who have the same problem it appears. I've put a lot of time into it but they really don't develop. Maybe it's a genetic thing.

Good leg day. 5 deadlift sets, 5 squat sets..

Has anyone else given up with calf muscles? Some people can get those tennis ball shaped calves, but I am certainly not one. I know other guys bigger than me who have the same problem it appears. I've put a lot of time into it but they really don't develop. Maybe it's a genetic thing.

I used to have huge calves strictly from soccer only (didnt lift then) gone down in size now since I hardly do legs as Im focused on my upper body since I had legs but zero upper body... But now that its evening up, well not quite there, I'll be getting back to doing legs more legs.

Not looking forward to the gym population rising in a big way once the New Year's resolution people hit.

Always happens every year....packed for January then dies down.

That's why I'm switching to running and hitting the slopes for the next few months.

Once of those people fail at their New Year Resolutions, then back to the gym, lol.

Hey what rep range do you guys recommend for a guy trying to gain strength and mass, for deads/squats/bench

I feel I'm going too high in reps, losing my form on the higher reps and not pushing enough weight cause the reps are too high... for squats an deads, I'm doing about 10 reps squats, 8 deads

Hey what rep range do you guys recommend for a guy trying to gain strength and mass, for deads/squats/bench

I feel I'm going too high in reps, losing my form on the higher reps and not pushing enough weight cause the reps are too high... for squats an deads, I'm doing about 10 reps squats, 8 deads

5 reps

• Upvote 1

4 sets of 6-8 reps

Or

5x5

Edited by LeanBeef

Any solutions to tendonitis? I think I might have injured my left elbow like 4 months back. Initially though it was probably just sore muscle around the area but even after a month not working out my arm, it's still painful when I exert a bit of force on it. Just scrubbing my back with a bathing cloth irks it a bit.

Would just resting it for another month plus more omega-3, supplements, aspirins be sufficient?

If you're losing form it's too heavy.

To gain mass or size, your looking at different rep ranges for each. It's different for everybody but that 8-10 range you are currently using is a good compromise between size and strength.

5 is too little for size generally.

Although what works for some people is to spend some days focusing on strength and others for size. If you watch professional body builders, they'll often do very low reps one day and 10-15 on other days.

Like I said before, everyone is different. The only way to find the optimal rep range is trial and error.

Any solutions to tendonitis? I think I might have injured my left elbow like 4 months back. Initially though it was probably just sore muscle around the area but even after a month not working out my arm, it's still painful when I exert a bit of force on it. Just scrubbing my back with a bathing cloth irks it a bit.

Would just resting it for another month plus more omega-3, supplements, aspirins be sufficient?

Go to a good physiotherapist.

Your symptoms could be caused by an imbalance, an impingement, or something far more serious. Usually these problems can be fixed by correcting the muscle imbalance or with proper stretching. However, if it's something more serious you'll only make it worse. Either way a good physio will help.

Squats and deadlifts are strength movements and your focus should be adding weight to the bar in order to get strong. Squats and deadlifts love 5 reps sets, therefore this is my recommendation: Do 3 sets of 5 across (same weight each set). Add weight every session until you can't. Don't be a feline. Profit.

* To the guys suggestion 5x5: 5x5 is good too, but I'd wait until you got past the novice stage since training volume MUST increase over time in order to continue getting stronger and bigger. The weight on the bar MUST also increase over time. Knowing these prequisites for continual progress, your goal as a novice (and at any stage really) is to do as little work as possible to get the desired adaptation. As you get stronger and bigger, this minimum threshold will increase and therefore so will the requisite training volume required to elicit the desired physiological response.

If you're losing form it's too heavy.

To gain mass or size, your looking at different rep ranges for each. It's different for everybody but that 8-10 range you are currently using is a good compromise between size and strength.

5 is too little for size generally.

Although what works for some people is to spend some days focusing on strength and others for size. If you watch professional body builders, they'll often do very low reps one day and 10-15 on other days.

Like I said before, everyone is different. The only way to find the optimal rep range is trial and error.

doing sets of five can still get you size as well as strength. 5x5 would give you a total of 25 reps of heavy weight. Its not about the reps in sets but total reps.