The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You folks know a lot....

Monty mentioned Russian Twists a while ago.

I heard that they were not good for your spine.

I like the exercise though and want to work on my obliques, do you think that the concerns come from doing them with heavy weight? 

My guess is more that people use momentum and do them too fast rather than focusing on proper technique and body positioning.   Weights would definitely add to that.   Slow/controlled movements, always.  I see people at the gym doing various exercises fast and ridiculously incorrect at times.  Form is so important, not only to get the maximum results but also to avoid injury.   Also, everyone knows their own limitations and people with lower back issues, in particular, should really pay close attention to this.

I haven't been in the field for years, but that's a guess based on basics and common sense.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Violator said:

Bought some battle ropes.really having a hard time getting motivation to use them.

Those are the big ropes I see fighters train with, right? 

They look cool, and I am jealous that you have the space.....says bishop the apartment dweller. 

Get motivated will ya?!

53 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You folks know a lot....

I like the exercise though and want to work on my obliques, do you think that the concerns come from doing them with heavy weight? 

No need to add weight to Russian Twists until you can stack 15 of these guys to each side without a rest. 

Image result for gym equipment stackable platform

Adding a target goal (stacking) forces you to actually use your obliques and core rather than just swinging your arms. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You folks know a lot....

I think what @debluvscanucks is pretty on point. 

In terms of training obliques, I like things like plank arm taps, suitcase carries, palloff press, etc. They hammer the obliques and they’re safe for the spine. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Monty said:

Anyone have tips on how not to be awful and out of energy when doing lunges?

Another thing is that depending how heavy you go and whether or not your hand strength sucks, get some wrist straps. It allows you to focus on the range and motion and not worry about the dumbells slipping. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

do you do any active stretching?

I can truthfully say that I’m awful at stretching. My personal trainer didn’t go over stretches with me, so I do very basic/beginner stretches. And most certainly for not long enough.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

I can truthfully say that I’m awful at stretching. My personal trainer didn’t go over stretches with me, so I do very basic/beginner stretches. And most certainly for not long enough.

Active and dynamic stretching warm up could help with your over all fatigue. Easy to do and you don't need to do too much.

Then do some old school static stretching when your not working out. That always feels good on sore muscles anyway and it's good for your over all recoup.

On 6/21/2019 at 1:33 PM, bishopshodan said:

Those are the big ropes I see fighters train with, right? 

They look cool, and I am jealous that you have the space.....says bishop the apartment dweller. 

Get motivated will ya?!

Supposed to be a really good workout.

Dont need alot of space monkey bars or a basketball pole or street light.

Bought the two inch so it should be a half decent workout.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

20 hours ago, Violator said:

Bought some pre workout not sure if its any good or how im supoosed to feel.

Haven’t used pre workout in a long time, but C4 Ultimate would get me wired up and push through few extra heavy reps. I wouldn’t make a habit of using it regularly though.

1 hour ago, HI5 said:

Haven’t used pre workout in a long time, but C4 Ultimate would get me wired up and push through few extra heavy reps. I wouldn’t make a habit of using it regularly though.

Good to know 

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, HI5 said:

I have some of that.

Makes my hair tingle, don't know how much energy I get from it. Reminds me of truck-stop ephedrine that we used to take when driving long distances on tour. 

Is it bad for you if you use regularly? 

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I have some of that.

Makes my hair tingle, don't know how much energy I get from it. Reminds me of truck-stop ephedrine that we used to take when driving long distances on tour. 

Mainly just the really high caffeine content and getting addicted to it. Some people can’t even enter the gym without taking a pre workout; personally I just use it the occasional day where I’m lacking energy and need to be more energized/focused. 

• Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 3:31 PM, bishopshodan said:

I have some of that.

I recommend not using unless absolutely necessary to perk up before the gym.

if you’re in it for the long game it will just get harder to get the ball rolling each time there is a gap in a training program.

better off to eat the right natural energy foods throughout the day.

that being said I do use energy gels on long distance rides and runs.  But you can’t exactly eat during those activities.

• Cheers 1

On 6/21/2019 at 3:49 PM, Monty said:

Me too.

i bought a foam roller and use it.

definitely recommend one.  Stretch and massage all at once.

43 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

You guys think that alkaline water is bull$&!#? 

Wife had a bit of throat issue, some sort of reflux.

She thought it helped with ph balance in the gut. Don't know much more than that. I hear it is has anti-aging properties but I imagine that is just due to focusing on hydration which would help skin appearance. 

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Me too.

i bought a foam roller and use it.

definitely recommend one.  Stretch and massage all at once.

Another trainer told me that I should get one. Will be getting a gift certificate soon, will use it on one.

As for an update on my fitness, still going strong. Not losing anymore weight at the moment, but that’ll change in time. But I’m feeling so much more fit. It’s exciting.

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Wife had a bit of throat issue, some sort of reflux.

She thought it helped with ph balance in the gut. Don't know much more than that. I hear it is has anti-aging properties but I imagine that is just due to focusing on hydration which would help skin appearance. 

Most people are saying it's bull$&!# because your lungs and kidneys regulate your PH levels so you cannot simply change it by drinking a water. Your PH level is fine tuned - if it wasn't you would be dead.