The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

So after nearly 5 months of working out, did my first official Body Fat and BMI test.

22.9% Body Fat.

24.3 BMI.

Normal range for BMI, High for Body Fat. Need to get below 20%. Honestly, that’s pretty much what I expected. Don’t know where I started, but know I’ve made huge strides. Only getting better!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

So after nearly 5 months of working out, did my first official Body Fat and BMI test.

22.9% Body Fat.

24.3 BMI.

Normal range for BMI, High for Body Fat. Need to get below 20%. Honestly, that’s pretty much what I expected. Don’t know where I started, but know I’ve made huge strides. Only getting better!

what type of body fat measurement did you go with?

I have always wanted to do one.

Seems like DEXA is the best way to do it but it isn't easily available

16 minutes ago, Monty said:

22.9% Body Fat.

24.3 BMI.

BMI is as big a sham as a salesperson saying "I'm losing money by giving you this discount"

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

what type of body fat measurement did you go with?

I have always wanted to do one.

Seems like DEXA is the best way to do it but it isn't easily available

5’10.5”

172 pounds

Did a test at my gym with a machine. They do their testing in a closed off room so the rest of the members don’t hear you yell, “F*CK!!”

:lol: 

But was just curious to see. Not discouraged. I know I’m making progress. My fitness level is the best it’s been in 18 years. Having tons of fun pushing myself and adding more challenges in.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Monty said:

But was just curious to see. Not discouraged. I know I’m making progress. My fitness level is the best it’s been on 18 years. Having tons of fun pushing myself and adding more challenges in.

Monty “challenging” himself. 

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Took the summer off to be lazy and get fat.

Damn.  Beer is so good in the summer.

Biking to work again.  Stay safe and obey the rules.  Saw a stupid cyclist blow past a red light.  What an idiot.

Next week...back to the gym.

34 minutes ago, BPA said:

Took the summer off to be lazy and get fat.

Damn.  Beer is so good in the summer.

Biking to work again.  Stay safe and obey the rules.  Saw a stupid cyclist blow past a red light.  What an idiot.

Next week...back to the gym.

The thing about that is when you're dead you don't have to worry about weight or conditioning. Maybe that's what he was going for

8 hours ago, riffraff said:

Made myself get a couple days and went back it today.

wow!  Should rest more often.

maybe it’s quality training not quantity?

anyone?

I would agree. That being said, you can't have 1 'quality' work out per month and expect gains. The stimulus needs to be enough to trigger physiological response but people can, and do, over do it. Depends on your goals. But rest/recover/sleep is as big of a piece to the puzzle as nutrition and training. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I would agree. That being said, you can't have 1 'quality' work out per month and expect gains. The stimulus needs to be enough to trigger physiological response but people can, and do, over do it. Depends on your goals. But rest/recover/sleep is as big of a piece to the puzzle as nutrition and training. 

I don’t lift anymore.  (Early 40’s) I’m now a cardio nerd.

i have to manage lifting and impact activities as I’m a lifer in construction.

i ride my bike on gravel trails 250-300km per week with a few short trail runs sprinkled in.

i find it quite addictive and can ride every day but obviously feel fairly stiff often and have the heavy dead legs feeling which I ignore.  So as I said a i took a couple days off and then hit a ride and run yesterday.  After the break and some stretching I felt significantly stronger.  So it has caused me to step back and consider more rest intervals.

winter is good for me too because I break up the routine with hockey season and surfing.

Edited by riffraff
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, riffraff said:

Made myself get a couple days and went back it today.

wow!  Should rest more often.

maybe it’s quality training not quantity?

anyone?

Yea,

If I push myself I usually take two days off before doing that exercise again. These days, I lift 2x a week doing a full body workout. I see gains but not very quickly, at 45 this is perfect for me. I feel strong and look good in the mirror test.

I have let my running slip due to a few things but I always get back. When I move to the Island soon, I plan to add some other activities. 

Rest, healthy food, hydration, stretching are all things I try to keep on aside from the actual workouts. It has to be a balance. When I used to compete, I was so scared of not being prepared or in top shape that I ended up injured a lot due to over training. My ego made me fight through it, which only lead to more issues. Once I respected my body more and looked at the whole picture I became a better bishop.  

Edited by bishopshodan

41 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yea,

If I push myself I usually take two days off before doing that exercise again. These days, I lift 2x a week doing a full body workout. I see gains but not very quickly, at 45 this is perfect for me. I feel strong and look good in the mirror test.

I have let my running slip due to a few things but I always get back. When I move to the Island soon, I plan to add some other activities. 

Rest, healthy food, hydration, stretching are all things I try to keep on aside from the actual workouts. It has to be a balance. When I used to compete, I was so scared of not being prepared or in top shape that I ended up injured a lot due to over training. My ego made me fight through it, which only lead to more issues. Once I respected my body more and looked at the whole picture I became a better bishop.  

I think you may have seen my posts about an elbow issue (dominant arm the right) that I dealt with for the first half of this year.

anyway, there were some things I had to stop or dial back.  Coupled with physio I’m back to 99% and can’t express enough how happy that makes me and how grateful I am to a great physiotherapist.

a big test was taking the kids to a climbing facility where I attempted a few climbs myself and had no issue with strength in the arm or grip strength.  

With that being said I’d thought id mention to you that I’m now going to look into starting up kick boxing and Jiu-Jitsu at an academy here on the South Island.  Super excited about this.  I wanted to start last year.

this winter my exercise regimen will be very diverse and obviously now will involve some indoor activities which will be good for a break.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, riffraff said:

With that being said I’d thought id mention to you that I’m now going to look into starting up kick boxing and Jiu-Jitsu at an academy here on the South Island.  Super excited about this.  I wanted to start last year.

That is amazing Riff!

Good for you. I know a dude that is 56 and just got his bluebelt in JJ. 

I am looking at Island Top Team as I will be close to Nanaimo, but don't know much about them other than the website

As for kickboxing, it's in my soul to punch and kick. I was a drummer since I was 11 but once the 'career' was over I focused on martial arts in a big way. I competed till 35 and still think about getting back into it ( btw, I always forget how old I am). I think it is a natural percussive progression for some drummers to be attracted to hitting things. 

I do remember your elbow. Very happy to hear you've made big strides. I have been nursing a bit of an arm issue myself. Not sure how it developed but I've had to lay off the pull ups in particular and replaced them with bar pull downs. It's slowly getting better but a climbing gym would make me wince right now.

Please update how it goes. I will do the same if I actually get myself into club down the road.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1