PlayStation

The Workout Thread

24 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Don't injure yourself.

If you're being that active, make sure you are drinking lots of water, good food and as much sleep as possible. 

Otherwise, good job man. That's quite the schedule. 

I learned it the hard way.

A few summer ago, was out for a run and felt a nagging pain in my leg.  Decided to push through the pain and keep running.  Ended up pulling something as I walked with a limp that whole summer.  Same thing when pushing through the pain during a shoulder work out.  Ended up tearing it.  2 years and the shoulder still not the same (reduced mobility).  Now my weights are more of reps than lbs.  And cardio is at a pace where my legs and lungs can cope.

• Hydration 1

23 minutes ago, Monty said:

Guy working out at the gym in jeans.

GOAT

I remember back in the day on the north shores local mountains dudes rockn’ jeans on the slopes.

@Down by the River

I have been doing intermittent fasting (16-8). I'm sold! 

Never thought I could do it. Totally wrong on the reasons I thought it wouldn't work.

I don't think I will do it forever but it's a lot more doable than I ever would have thought.

I pack my breakfast now and have it at 10-10:30. Last meal of day is at 6-6:30.

Edited by Shift-4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

@Down by the River

Never thought I could do it. Totally wrong on the reasons I thought it wouldn't work.

I don't think I will do it forever but it's a lot more doable than I ever would have thought.

I pack by breakfast now and have it at 10-10:30. Last meal of day is at 6-6:30.

Do you normally have a big appetite?

i don’t think fasting is something I could ever do.  Maybe if I was alone 24/7/365

I turn into a miserable sob if I don’t eat. 

Edited by riffraff

27 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Do you normally have a big appetite?

i don’t think fasting is something I could ever do.  Maybe if I was alone 24/7/365

I turn into a miserable sob if I don’t eat. 

Yes. I like to eat.

I thought the same as you.

I planned this carefully. I tested it on days off of work so I could manage any hangriness that might occur. I think this was wise.

I did a staycation for my week off so I was able to make the intermittent fasting a primary goal in these days.

Instead of eating at 7:30 I held out until 10 or a little later each day. Still had breakfast foods at 10 because I love breakfast foods. I was hungry leading up to breaking my fast each day but it was not unbearable. Interesting note on that: today I couldn't eat until 11. By 11 I was no longer hungry. Didn't have lunch until 3 and was not drastically hungry when I did eat. 

I have been on a calorie restriction the last 5-6 weeks. The three weeks I was on IF schedule made a huge difference in hitting my goal weight cut. 

Now I am curious about doing IF with maintenance calories.

Will let you know how it goes.

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

Yes. I like to eat.

I planned this carefully. I tested it on days off of work so I could manage any hangriness that might occur. I think this was wise.

I did a staycation for my week off so I was able to make the intermittent fasting a primary goal in these days.

Instead of eating at 7:30 I held out until 10 or a little later each day. Still had breakfast foods at 10 because I love breakfast foods. I was hungry leading up to breaking my fast each day but it was not unbearable. Interesting note on that: today I couldn't eat until 11. By 11 I was no longer hungry. Didn't have lunch until 3 and was not drastically hungry when I did eat. 

I have been on a calorie restriction the last 5-6 weeks. The three weeks I was on IF schedule made a huge difference in hitting my goal weight cut. 

black coffee and bcaa's are 2 ways to help curb the hunger you might get some mornings.

3 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

@Down by the River

I pack my breakfast now and have it at 10-10:30. Last meal of day is at 6-6:30.

When the weather got extremely hot in the summer I had to stop. My sleep schedule got thrown out of wack and it impacted how I ate.

It was easy to start back up in the Fall. I usually do 3-4 days of 17-7. Last bite is usually 9-930. I have no idea if it is improving my health, but it definitely improves my productivity. I have a lot of flexibility with work so on my IF days I usually take a 2hr break at 2pm that includes my first meal. 

And I definitely reiterate what @NucksPatsFan said about coffee. I drink a lot of black coffee and try to balance it out with a lot of water. Sometimes I sprinkle a bit of Himalayan pink salt into the water. 

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

black coffee and bcaa's are 2 ways to help curb the hunger you might get some mornings.

Yep.

Black coffee in the morning.   Another coffee around 10am (if I need it).  Eat lunch at noon.  Drink lots of water.   Snacks in between to settle the hunger.   Dinner at 6pm.  And one last snack (shake/smoothie) at 8pm.  Drink water at night until I go to sleep.

I allow myself one cheat night/morning on the weekend.  To have popcorn while watching TV/movie with my wife on Saturday night.   And to have Sunday breakfast with wife and kids. 

Edited by BPA
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Yes. I like to eat.

Respec’ 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Oh yeah

Plenty of water and black coffee

Coffee is big key

Edited by Shift-4

31 minutes ago, Monty said:

I'm now 6 months into working out consistently. As for the weight loss, that hasn't changed since June, still 20-22lbs down. However, definitely losing fat and trimming a lot. Definition is now clear in my arms, shoulders, back, and legs. Stomach/love handles are taking their sweet time, but I knew that going in. Chest is getting tighter as well, but not as easy to see. Definitely feel it.

My daughter (almost 3 years old) just started gymnastics, and has had two lessons. Because I'm in shape now, and because I want to be able to connect with her, I'm also taking an adult gymnastics course once a week. Each class is an hour and a half. Second class this Thursday. Really surprised how good the first one went. Signed up for the year, and will give it at least 3 years (until I'm 40). Instructor said that she had a 47 year old man join a few years ago (starting from scratch like me), who also took the class for the same reasons (daughter). She said it took him 3 years (till he was 50) to completely "finish" the class to the point where he could do all the exercises (handstands, flips, bar swings, etc). So, I'm giving myself the same timetable, at minimum. But, knowing me, I'll likely continue with the course longer (or until I find another thing that's more challenging, like Crossfit).

Long story short, I've never been in better shape and can now say that my main hobby is working out. I love it so much. Also love the other people at the gym who I've grown close to through this.

On another front, was thinking about getting  a Fitbit Versa 2 Smartwatch (never had a Fitbit). Does anyone have one, or a similar one? And if so, would they recommend it? At $249, not sure if it's "needed" (as much of a need can be). And by need, I mean do you (those that have it) find that it adds value to their workout and life routines?

I don't recommend FitBit. Not as accurate as it's competitors. 

I personally use the Samsung Galaxy Watch (the latest one, make sure you don't confused it with the Gear or Frontier), even though I have an iPhone.

The heart rate tracking is highly accurate, as is the tracking of your steps. The modes for tracking workouts gives you lots of options. It tracks your sleep accurately as well, and will automatically measure your heart rate at different points of the day to give you a true average resting HR. The app is awesome, tracks everything you could ask it to. Even has a built in food and liquid tracker so that you have live updates to calories in calories out and calories burned.

Best of all, you can connect it to your bluetooth headphones and listen to spotify without an internet connection while you workout or go for a run while leaving your phone at home. Apple Watch can only do this with Apple Music, and requires a sim card if you want to use Spotify in that capacity. 

Edited by NucksPatsFan
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Monty said:

Long story short, I've never been in better shape and can now say that my main hobby is working out. I love it so much. Also love the other people at the gym who I've grown close to through this.

On another front, was thinking about getting  a Fitbit Versa 2 Smartwatch (never had a Fitbit). Does anyone have one, or a similar one? And if so, would they recommend it? At $249, not sure if it's "needed" (as much of a need can be). And by need, I mean do you (those that have it) find that it adds value to their workout and life routines?

Love reading your whole post

Just going to comment on these two points.

My hobby is working out too. I have a goal to live to 100. I have had that goal as long as I could remember, as long as I knew the number 100 existed, so about as far back as memory goes. And I don't just want to live to 100, I want to do it with vitality.

This makes working out along with all types of physical activity not just a hobby but part of who I am. A healthy lifestyle is how I define my spirituality. 

I have had a shoulder issue recently so I had to scale back on my physical activity. It is driving me insane. I am going through withdrawal. Just an example of what working out means to me.

As for the Fitbit I can't comment on that one in particular. But I do recommend Fitbit in general. I have an Alta. It makes a difference to me to have something that helps track my activity. I like the App and I like being able to do step challenges with my friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Monty said:

I'm now 6 months into working out consistently. As for the weight loss, that hasn't changed since June, still 20-22lbs down. However, definitely losing fat and trimming a lot. Definition is now clear in my arms, shoulders, back, and legs. Stomach/love handles are taking their sweet time, but I knew that going in. Chest is getting tighter as well, but not as easy to see. Definitely feel it.

My daughter (almost 3 years old) just started gymnastics, and has had two lessons. Because I'm in shape now, and because I want to be able to connect with her, I'm also taking an adult gymnastics course once a week. Each class is an hour and a half. Second class this Thursday. Really surprised how good the first one went. Signed up for the year, and will give it at least 3 years (until I'm 40). Instructor said that she had a 47 year old man join a few years ago (starting from scratch like me), who also took the class for the same reasons (daughter). She said it took him 3 years (till he was 50) to completely "finish" the class to the point where he could do all the exercises (handstands, flips, bar swings, etc). So, I'm giving myself the same timetable, at minimum. But, knowing me, I'll likely continue with the course longer (or until I find another thing that's more challenging, like Crossfit).

So awesome 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Monty said:

Keep up the good work.

As for the Fitbit...I had the Blaze until I stupidly wore it in the water (water resistant not waterproof) and it died.  It's OK thing to have but not all that necessary.  Reminds you to get up and walk around every hour.  Competition with other Fitbit users (friends) to see who's got the most steps (if you need extra motivation).

I haven't had a watch for about 6 months now.  Don't miss it.

I keep track of my weights/gym time with JeFit (free version).  And my bike/run times with Strava.  Good enough for me. 

• Upvote 1

Second Jiu-Jitsu class last night.

rolled with three guys in a row (nearly half my age) no breaks five minutes each

two were blue belts

i survived!

most intense workout I’ve had in years by far.

this morning I feel like I did exactly what I did.::D

Edited by riffraff
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

Anyone recommend a good “recovery” or “post workout” supplement?

as natural as possible would be great.

thanks.

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Anyone recommend a good “recovery” or “post workout” supplement?

as natural as possible would be great.

thanks.

Yup. Give me a bit.

• Thanks 1