The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Anyone recommend a good “recovery” or “post workout” supplement?

as natural as possible would be great.

thanks.

Not sure how natural, but I’ve found this has worked wonders since I started using it a few weeks ago.

29D2F24A-C4E2-4A8A-AC9E-F577691CCB34.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, riffraff said:

Thanks Month, I’ll have a look at the shop and check ingredients.

When I went to Supplement King, that’s what they recommended for recovery.

I then talked to my personal trainer and another woman in the gym, and they both said that’s what they take as well.

Now, I’ve also started to take Epsom Salt Baths twice a week now. I feel like that’s been helping, too.

33 minutes ago, Monty said:

When I went to Supplement King, that’s what they recommended for recovery.

I then talked to my personal trainer and another woman in the gym, and they both said that’s what they take as well.

Now, I’ve also started to take Epsom Salt Baths twice a week now. I feel like that’s been helping, too.

@NucksPatsFan fan told me about epsom gel and I found some this week.  Seems to help.

essentially I’ve more than doubled my exercise this past couple weeks and I’m obviously dealing with extra soreness and fatigue.

#oldguyjoints

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Anyone recommend a good “recovery” or “post workout” supplement?

as natural as possible would be great.

thanks.

50 minutes ago, Monty said:

Not sure how natural, but I’ve found this has worked wonders since I started using it a few weeks ago.

29D2F24A-C4E2-4A8A-AC9E-F577691CCB34.jpeg

Really good stuff and most of the flavours taste great but I find the price point a bit rich. If budgetary concerns aren’t an issue then yeah, great choice. Personally, I order off of myprotein. They run some pretty great sales a couple of times each month so the prices end up being great. Just last week I got 11 pounds of whey for $80, including shipping and tax. Tough to beat that. 

Also, canadianprotein runs some decent sales as well. When I order from them I usually go with the clearance section (expired, overstock, etc) and the prices are good. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Really good stuff and most of the flavours taste great but I find the price point a bit rich. If budgetary concerns aren’t an issue then yeah, great choice. Personally, I order off of myprotein. They run some pretty great sales a couple of times each month so the prices end up being great. Just last week I got 11 pounds of whey for $80, including shipping and tax. Tough to beat that. 

Also, canadianprotein runs some decent sales as well. When I order from them I usually go with the clearance section (expired, overstock, etc) and the prices are good. 

Yeah, it’s super pricey. I did get it half off, as the store near me had a sale, so that was helpful.

But now that I’m on it, I can’t see not taking it going forward.

4 hours ago, Monty said:

Yeah, it’s super pricey. I did get it half off, as the store near me had a sale, so that was helpful.

But now that I’m on it, I can’t see not taking it going forward.

Yeah I’d say it’s my favourite protein, I just couldn’t justify spending that much more compared to other brands. I should keep my eyes open for sales. 

1 minute ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

People who sit on equipment between sets and use their phone should face a firing squad. 

Why? It’s a rest period. Resting is what they’re doing. 

If you ask to work in and get told no or they’re taking outrageously long rests then I can see this being an issue but otherwise I don’t care what they do between sets. Watch Netflix. Knit. Do your makeup. Doesn’t make a difference to me. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Why? It’s a rest period. Resting is what they’re doing. 

If you ask to work in and get told no or they’re taking outrageously long rests then I can see this being an issue but otherwise I don’t care what they do between sets. Watch Netflix. Knit. Do your makeup. Doesn’t make a difference to me. 

Shouldn't have to ask to use a piece of equipment cuz your sitting on it texting

My renos and stress have put a dent in my workout schedule lately.

I only had about 50 mins to squeeze in a gym session yesterday, so I thought I'd skip it. I've been doing so much running around, I thought F' it, whats the point.

Then I got glum.

Then I thought, so what are you going to do with your remaining 45 mins?

I jumped on CDC feeling like a sack....

Read a bit of a convo between Riff and Monty in this workout thread.

Quick shake of the head, quick stretch and change into my joggers, run stairs up to the apt gym.

Killed a 35min intense workout.

Then off to pickup my wife and dog from work with a big sweaty smile on my face feeling proud of myself.

Thank you CDC friends. I mean it. 

@bishopshodan this is a really good one if you’re in a time crunch. Intensity can be varied with added weight, faster running, etc. Sub stuff out as you see fit. 

https://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/circuit-training

20 Minutes Circuit Workout

1. Bench press* or pushups - max in 1:00
  2. Squats - max in 1:00
  3. Pullups or pulldowns - 1:00
  4. Bike or jog - 3:00
  5. Military press* - 1:00
  6. Lunges - 1:00 each leg
  7. Bicep curls - 1:00
  8. Bike or jog - 3:00
  9. Tricep extensions.- 1:00
  10. Leg ext - 1:00 (requires leg machines - or repeat squats with weights)
  11. Leg curls - 1:00 (requires leg machines - or repeat lunges with weights)
  12. Situps - 2:00
  13. Crunches - 2:00
  14. Stretch
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Shouldn't have to ask to use a piece of equipment cuz your sitting on it texting

I do exactly that in between sets. Either stare at my phone or just listen to whatever Spotify workout playlist I've got on. 

Just come up and ask, you'd have to ask anyways if I was sitting there doing nothing or standing nearby. 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

@bishopshodan this is a really good one if you’re in a time crunch. Intensity can be varied with added weight, faster running, etc. Sub stuff out as you see fit. 

https://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/circuit-training

20 Minutes Circuit Workout

1. Bench press* or pushups - max in 1:00
  2. Squats - max in 1:00
  3. Pullups or pulldowns - 1:00
  4. Bike or jog - 3:00
  5. Military press* - 1:00
  6. Lunges - 1:00 each leg
  7. Bicep curls - 1:00
  8. Bike or jog - 3:00
  9. Tricep extensions.- 1:00
  10. Leg ext - 1:00 (requires leg machines - or repeat squats with weights)
  11. Leg curls - 1:00 (requires leg machines - or repeat lunges with weights)
  12. Situps - 2:00
  13. Crunches - 2:00
  14. Stretch

You can also tabata any work out for a short, intense workout.

20 seconds on 10 seconds off for max.

Can apply it to any exercise.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

You can also tabata any work out for a short, intense workout.

20 seconds on 10 seconds off for max.

Can apply it to any exercise.

Semantics here but I’d contend that most people don’t run true tabata style. It was intended to be done at absolute max effort for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds rest. The studies were done on Olympic-level speed skaters. Your average joe in the gym is probably doing that 20 seconds of work at more like 80-90% rather than the prescribed 100% (I’d say I’m guilty of it myself). Still very hard, but not what the protocol actually calls for. At that point it’s more just circuit training than true tabata. 

28 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Semantics here but I’d contend that most people don’t run true tabata style. It was intended to be done at absolute max effort for 20 seconds followed by 10 seconds rest. The studies were done on Olympic-level speed skaters. Your average joe in the gym is probably doing that 20 seconds of work at more like 80-90% rather than the prescribed 100% (I’d say I’m guilty of it myself). Still very hard, but not what the protocol actually calls for. At that point it’s more just circuit training than true tabata. 

I agree. It's not true Tabata. I'd say I go max effort for the first 8-12 seconds and then definitely slow down.

The one time I think I came close to true Tabata was quad extension machine. I had DOMS for like 6 days in my quads lol.