Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

5 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Really good snack, been eating it a lot before bed:

Take a banana (or 2) and chop it up so you have a bunch of flat circles

Put a little bit of all natural peanut butter on each one

Sprinkle some nuts/seeds on top

Add some goji berry on top

Sounds like a recipe from GoodLife fitness.

3 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So annoying people banging weights. 

Shut up, please. Control the weight or drop the weight..

It's unsafe to control the weight to the ground when finished a heavy lift for some exercises.

For example - it's unsafe to dumbbell press 90's and then try to control them to the ground while on your back, you'll tear your pec or your rotator cuff. 

Also unsafe to finish a clean or a snatch that's near your 3 rep max and try to control the bar to the ground you'll hurt your low back.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

It's unsafe to control the weight to the ground when finished a heavy lift for some exercises.

For example - it's unsafe to dumbbell press 90's and then try to control them to the ground while on your back, you'll tear your pec or your rotator cuff. 

Also unsafe to finish a clean or a snatch that's near your 3 rep max and try to control the bar to the ground you'll hurt your low back.

Then you are probably benching too much if you let them free fall. Or rack pulling like these kids but slamming the bar against the rails every time

16 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Then you are probably benching too much if you let them free fall. Or rack pulling like these kids but slamming the bar against the rails every time

Not necessarily. 

I can concentrically contract my pecs with a lot more load than I can eccentrically. If I am doing 100lbs. dumbbells for flat dumbbell press, after my last rep I'm bringing my hands down to chest level then turning them towards the floor and letting the end of the dumbbell hit the ground. There's no way I'm risking tearing my chest by eccentrically lowering my hands all the way to the floor with 100 lbs. dumbbells.

Rack pulls are dumb

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Not necessarily. 

I can concentrically contract my pecs with a lot more load than I can eccentrically. If I am doing 100lbs. dumbbells for flat dumbbell press, after my last rep I'm bringing my hands down to chest level then turning them towards the floor and letting the end of the dumbbell hit the ground. There's no way I'm risking tearing my chest by eccentrically lowering my hands all the way to the floor with 100 lbs. dumbbells.

Rack pulls are dumb

Well yeah, I get that, I mean idiots who are obviously slamming the weights. Like what you'll see with a deadlift. Like they're trying to hurt the floor.

20 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Well yeah, I get that, I mean idiots who are obviously slamming the weights. Like what you'll see with a deadlift. Like they're trying to hurt the floor.

I work out in an apt gym, It's lovely, on the top of our building.

There is a tenant below the gym. Of course the space is littered with posters begging people to put their weights down gently.

I am of two minds, I sometimes slam them a bit putting them down because I get tired and want to push myself ( dumbbell shrugs). I try to be conscious but...I think well, why would you buy/rent that apt? 

Then I see some other dudes...totally not giving AF...one guy does those row style push ups with dumbbells, it's like he is trying to punch through the floor every time he lets an arm back down....awful, feel bad for the dude below.

I do dumbbell bench press all the time, love it, but maybe I don't push enough weight? I push 70lbs per side and have a technique of turning my hands and resting the last rep on my stomach, then I sit up with them on my lap.. I never 'drop' any weight. 

Very weird and uncharted spot I’m in.

Due to many psychological reasons, and weight issues growing up, I’ve ALWAYS looked at a scale. Almost daily. Now, I can see it veering more into habit and interest, and not actually caring about my weight.

Case in point. In late May, my brother bought me a workout shirt that was noticeably tight on me at the time. Wasn’t worried about it. However, I wore it today for the first time in a month or so, and it’s far looser (not in the arms or chest, though). However, I’m actually about a pound heavier than I was back when he gave it to me. So to actually now have clothes that I know for a fact we’re tight on me when I was the same weight, is incredibly encouraging. And, as I said, weird and uncharted for me.

Love it!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Very weird and uncharted spot I’m in.

Due to many psychological reasons, and weight issues growing up, I’ve ALWAYS looked at a scale. Almost daily. Now, I can see it veering more into habit and interest, and not actually caring about my weight.

Case in point. In late May, my brother bought me a workout shirt that was noticeably tight on me at the time. Wasn’t worried about it. However, I wore it today for the first time in a month or so, and it’s far looser (not in the arms or chest, though). However, I’m actually about a pound heavier than I was back when he gave it to me. So to actually now have clothes that I know for a fact we’re tight on me when I was the same weight, is incredibly encouraging. And, as I said, weird and uncharted for me.

Love it!

Happy for you Monty.  Really appreciate how candid you have been about your progress on this thread.  I’m sure it is encouraging to those with doubts.

keep up the good work.

and be sure to stretch.

also,  no spray on tan.

• Haha 1

Just now, riffraff said:

and be sure to stretch.

Ever since I started gymnastics 3 weeks ago, I've been stretching a lot more. That, combined with the Diesel protein I use after my workouts, have been helping my recovery immensely.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

also,  no spray on tan.

No joke, I'm probably the whitest person you will ever meet. I often tell people that I'm like a newborn fish with my shirt off, as you can see my heartbeat. I'm so pale.

57 minutes ago, Monty said:

Ever since I started gymnastics 3 weeks ago, I've been stretching a lot more. That, combined with the Diesel protein I use after my workouts, have been helping my recovery immensely.

No joke, I'm probably the whitest person you will ever meet. I often tell people that I'm like a newborn fish with my shirt off, as you can see my heartbeat. I'm so pale.

In summer you go from blue to white lol

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

People who stand in front of you while you are using the mirror should promptly be executed. Such as when I am doing behind back shrugs on the smith, which faces the mirror, and someone steps in front of me to do curls. 

Might be time for you to consider a home gym. 

No frickin joke. At the gym right now and am in the middle of my inclined shoulder press. Got off to stretch. Turned around after about 20 seconds to jump back on, and someone took one of my weights off my machine. 

WTF?

• Haha 1