The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Tnx for the inspiration guys! I started working out at home recently, hope to lose at least 10 lbs in a few months. I'm thinking of buing new ironman inversion table for my working out routine. I found reviews here https://cozyhousetoday.com/best-ironman-inversion-tables-reviews/ . It seems to be useful stuff in the home

Edited by luckyjack

7 months of straight working out, now. 5 days a week.

Met with my personal trainer yesterday to change up my exercises. My arms, shoulders; back, and chest are noticeably bigger and cut. Legs are getting there. But I need to tighten my abs and work my core. So she put me through the ringer yesterday with all new exercises. Suddenly felt like I was back to square one. 

Nice for a new challenge and push through where I’m at and get more gains.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Monty said:

7 months of straight working out, now. 5 days a week.

Met with my personal trainer yesterday to change up my exercises. My arms, shoulders; back, and chest are noticeably bigger and cut. Legs are getting there. But I need to tighten my abs and work my core. So she put me through the ringer yesterday with all new exercises. Suddenly felt like I was back to square one. 

Nice for a new challenge and push through where I’m at and get more gains.

Diet will be the challenge.

fwiw I’m weening off beer/alcohol.

so far I’ve bought one case in the last six weeks and this past week I haven’t had one beer.  Sometimes it’s tough but so far easier than I thought.  I don’t notice a big difference yet but hoping to in a couple months.

i should qualify that I never was a drinker per se.  maybe a couple per night at the most.

not exactly concerned with a shredded six pack but as I age in hoping to tighten things up in general.

Edited by riffraff
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Diet will be the challenge.

fwiw I’m weening off beer/alcohol.

so far I’ve bought one case in the last six weeks and this past week I haven’t had one beer.  Sometimes it’s tough but so far easier than I thought.  I don’t notice a big difference yet but hoping to in a couple months.

i should qualify that I never was a drinker per se.  maybe a couple per night at the most.

not exactly concerned with a shredded six pack but as I age in hoping to tighten things up in general.

I know that with my body type, it would be nearly impossible for me to be “shredded/cut/6 pack” with my abs. I have no expectations of that being even a remote possibility. However, I know that I’m still on the slightly high end for body fat %, and I’m carrying most of that in my gut. 

My diet has actually been pretty good, for the most part. Once in a blue moon I’ll snack on chips (ie: Vegetable Straws), but that’s probably once every 2-3 weeks. Booze has never been a problem for me. I can honestly go months without having any. Never been something I “need”. I enjoy it a lot more now that I’m in shape, so I might have a beer or two every month, but certainly not weekly. However, I just joined a pickup men’s hockey game on Sunday nights, and I’m sure I’ll have a beer after each game. Otherwise, my diet is pretty good.

But again, not expecting, even a little, of working towards a 6 pack. That’s honestly not a possibility for me. And I’m totally fine with that.

4 hours ago, Monty said:

I know that with my body type, it would be nearly impossible for me to be “shredded/cut/6 pack” with my abs. I have no expectations of that being even a remote possibility. However, I know that I’m still on the slightly high end for body fat %, and I’m carrying most of that in my gut. 

My diet has actually been pretty good, for the most part. Once in a blue moon I’ll snack on chips (ie: Vegetable Straws), but that’s probably once every 2-3 weeks. Booze has never been a problem for me. I can honestly go months without having any. Never been something I “need”. I enjoy it a lot more now that I’m in shape, so I might have a beer or two every month, but certainly not weekly. However, I just joined a pickup men’s hockey game on Sunday nights, and I’m sure I’ll have a beer after each game. Otherwise, my diet is pretty good.

But again, not expecting, even a little, of working towards a 6 pack. That’s honestly not a possibility for me. And I’m totally fine with that.

Sounds good.  I had dinner out the other night with the family and had a pint and if and when I have a hockey game same deal but as far as day to day I’m hoping my consumption is over.

its coffee I won’t be able to quit.::D

• 2 weeks later...

My boss says I’m a junkie, which I’m starting to think may be true. I’m an all or nothing type of person.

So I’m nearly 8 months into working out, and this is currently my schedule:

5 days a week at the gym. Just met with my personal trainer again to change up my program.

Gymnastics once a week. Hour and a half class.

Hockey once a week (looking for more games)

4. New Add

Just started looking into self defence class. Either kickboxing or Jiu Jitsu 

I can’t stop! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Monty said:

My boss says I’m a junkie, which I’m starting to think may be true. I’m an all or nothing type of person.

So I’m nearly 8 months into working out, and this is currently my schedule:

5 days a week at the gym. Just met with my personal trainer again to change up my program.

Gymnastics once a week. Hour and a half class.

Hockey once a week (looking for more games)

4. New Add

Just started looking into self defence class. Either kickboxing or Jiu Jitsu 

I can’t stop! 

Love it man.  

im a month and a half into kickboxing and bjj.  Love both.  Based on your regimen I would suggest bjj if you have to pick between the two.  I only say this because it sounds like you are getting some higher impact frequency based on your schedule and kickboxing is very high impact - at least for me.  Bjj is less impact and will force you to be disciplined with your stretching.  If I had to pick one it would be bjj as I know I could do it for the rest of my life and it’s a great mental exercise.  I’m going four nights per week and two nights of kb.  I miss it when I’m not there.  In fact the academy is closed this holiday weekend and two other guys and myself will be rolling on mats I purchased, inside the house I’m currently working on at the job site.

i also got my first choke submission last night.  My opp tapped after I got him in an Ezekiel choke.  Tuesday night I got my buddy in a kimura and he tapped as well.  My first ones.  For all I know it could be months till the next but honestly I’d rather defend against killers than submit anyone.

anyways looking forward to hearing about your further successes Monty.

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

Love it man.  

im a month and a half into kickboxing and bjj.  Love both.  Based on your regimen I would suggest bjj if you have to pick between the two.  I only say this because it sounds like you are getting some higher impact frequency based on your schedule and kickboxing is very high impact - at least for me.  Bjj is less impact and will force you to be disciplined with your stretching.  If I had to pick one it would be bjj as I know I could do it for the rest of my life and it’s a great mental exercise.  I’m going four nights per week and two nights of kb.  I miss it when I’m not there.  In fact the academy is closed this holiday weekend and two other guys and myself will be rolling on mats I purchased, inside the house I’m currently working on at the job site.

i also got my first choke submission last night.  My opp tapped after I got him in an Ezekiel choke.  Tuesday night I got my buddy in a kimura and he tapped as well.  My first ones.  For all I know it could be months till the next but honestly I’d rather defend against killers than submit anyone.

anyways looking forward to hearing about your further successes Monty.

Decided to sign up for the regular boxing class. Feels like, at the moment, this may be a better avenue. But once I’m there, I may take the kickboxing or BJJ course instead.

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

Decided to sign up for the regular boxing class. Feels like, at the moment, this may be a better avenue. But once I’m there, I take the kickboxing or BJJ course instead.

I strongly suggest research bjj schools/instructors.  The environment and mentality is very important.  Avoid anything overtly aggressive.

22 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I strongly suggest research bjj schools/instructors.  The environment and mentality is very important.  Avoid anything overtly aggressive.

Hmm. What about it makes you suggest it’s more worth it?

Went to Hot Yoga/Hot Pilates 5x this week.  Did 3 Hot Yoga and 2 Hot Pilates classes.  Just finished a Hot Pilates class.  Boy those Hot Pilates classes are tough!  Since taking these classes, I have gotten stronger and more flexible, and I feel leaner, and the scale is looking better this week.  Plus I walk.

• Upvote 2

@Monty
As I was saying from what I see of your activity schedule - hockey, weights, etc you have a good load of impact on the body.  Kickboxing will exponentially ramp that up.  

bjj is less jarring or impactful imo at the beginner level assuming you are in a safety and respect oriented academy.

you definitely work muscles, activator muscles/tendons and get cardio in bjj but it’s not like pounding pads in kb.  Bjj is more measured so to speak.

2/4 nights I go to class are kb followed by bjj right after.  I have an issue in my left shoulder.  Pretty sure it’s the cuff and I’m starting physio this Tuesday so I take it easy with strikes from that side.

just comes down to how you are feeling with your current load and adding to it with martial arts.

and what I meant regarding environment in class is many schools teach aggressive all offence bjj where spazzing sparring partners new to the art are risky to roll with.  Imo martial arts are about self defence and not trying to rip someone’s arm off.

Edited by riffraff
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I believe @bishopshodan is a lifer in martial arts so he’d have far more knowledge in this discussion.

How random, I was reading the convo on my phone between you two. I cant post from the phone so I grabbed my pc to log on to join in. Riff you were reading my mind, when the pc loaded I had your notification.

@Monty I think Riff is right. With your overall approach to your work out schedule you might take very well to bjj, the gymnastics training for example will be a good asset. Also, bjj you can train well into your older age and even compete if you want, without those high impact situations. I would do this over boxing, you can pick up those fundamentals another time and you don't need it for a 'work out'. You do enough working out. 

That said, kicking is a skill that I treasure.  I learned in traditional karate and competed till i was 35, I also did a lot of muay thai, kick boxing and sanschou. I think karate has the best fundamentals as a base. As Riff said, research good instructors/ schools and you should be fine. Kick boxing would be fun.

I'm really into the idea of bjj lately. I used to do a class  called 'grappling for mma' I loved it, it was sparring on the feet  and on the ground. 

I plan to join up in bjj after I move...which is next week!  And finally focus on proper grappling which I have not done since high school wrestling. 

Please call me out on this if I haven't by the new year. I need to get motivated. 

Riff you thinking about going into any tournys? I found I became really good when I made that decision.

I like to think I will get that itch again once I start to train, maybe one day me and you can have a cuddle puddle!

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Thanks 1