The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

15 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

How random, I was reading the convo on my phone between you two. I cant post from the phone so I grabbed my pc to log on to join in. Riff you were reading my mind, when the pc loaded I had your notification.

@Monty I think Riff is right. With your overall approach to your work out schedule you might take very well to bjj, the gymnastics training for example will be a good asset. Also, bjj you can train well into your older age and even compete if you want, without those high impact situations. I would do this over boxing, you can pick up those fundamentals another time and you don't need it for a 'work out'. You do enough working out. 

That said, kicking is a skill that I treasure.  I learned in traditional karate and competed till i was 35, I also did a lot of muay thai, kick boxing and sanschou. I think karate has the best fundamentals as a base. As Riff said, research good instructors/ schools and you should be fine. Kick boxing would be fun.

I'm really into the idea of bjj lately. I used to do a class  called 'grappling for mma' I loved it, it was sparring on the feet  and on the ground. 

I plan to join up in bjj after I move...which is next week!  And finally focus on proper grappling which I have not done since high school wrestling. 

Please call me out on this if I haven't by the new year. I need to get motivated. 

Riff you thinking about going into any tournys? I found I became really good when I made that decision.

I like to think I will get that itch again once I start to train, maybe one day me and you can have a cuddle puddle!

I believe you mentioned Nanoose area for your move?  I’m about 45 up the road in Courtenay.  Nanoose is pretty.  One of my highschool buddies moved thee two years back.

i don’t know anything about tournament competition.  There is a young guy about 22 who is competing this month in a submission only tourney and I don’t think that’s the event for me.  I could be wrong but from what I’ve heard (including from my instructor) is that competitors go out to kill. Not that I’m afraid of that in itself, but if I get hurt I won’t be able to work......can’t afford that.  I personally know someone who blew a knee in a tourney like that.

what has your experience been?

i I’m very interested in the competition aspect for sure.  Having said that when I train I train as “street” applicable as possible.

side note: and @Monty as well.  This is how much I love bjj.

i worked yesterday and after dinner one of the guys from my class came over and we went to one of the houses in the subdivision I’m working in and sparred on mats i bought from Canadian tire.  Rolled out some poly, as the house is in the interior finishing stage, mats on the poly, and went at it from 8-10.  Monday there will be three of us rotating through.

bjj nerd points achieved.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

I believe you mentioned Nanoose area for your move?  I’m about 45 up the road in Courtenay.  Nanoose is pretty.  One of my highschool buddies moved thee two years back.

i don’t know anything about tournament competition.  There is a young guy about 22 who is competing this month in a submission only tourney and I don’t think that’s the event for me.  I could be wrong but from what I’ve heard (including from my instructor) is that competitors go out to kill. Not that I’m afraid of that in itself, but if I get hurt I won’t be able to work......can’t afford that.  I personally know someone who blew a knee in a tourney like that.

what has your experience been?

i I’m very interested in the competition aspect for sure.  Having said that when I train I train as “street” applicable as possible.

side note: and @Monty as well.  This is how much I love bjj.

i worked yesterday and after dinner one of the guys from my class came over and we went to one of the houses in the subdivision I’m working in and sparred on mats i bought from Canadian tire.  Rolled out some poly, as the house is in the interior finishing stage, mats on the poly, and went at it from 8-10.  Monday there will be three of us rotating through.

bjj nerd points achieved.

Yes, Nanoose. I lived there from 8 -18 and my wife grew up in Campbell River.

I have never competed in grappling tournaments, It might not be for me either if it results in bad injuries. Most of my tournament day were point sparring. You get the odd bloody nose or black eye, some sprains, I did crack my ribs, oh yeah and broke a toe! but I did it a lot and in general it wasn't too bad. My muay thai bud was always hurt after his bouts and as a result hardly ever got to fight. I couldn't be out of commission like that so I didn't venture too much into full contact. I remember 1 stretch where I put myself in 16 tournaments in just over a year. I was able to see tons of opponents. Meanwhile my full contact friends would get maybe one or two fight in during that span. I did some 'hard' sparring for a while with a couple different groups, but again those sessions result in hurt guys. Unless you want to go pro and have a career , I don't see the point in 'really scrapping' . I got enough real action in my night club days , sadly. Actually I have been reading that more and more pro mma camps are doing away with hard sparring too. Save the injuries and emotion for the real fight. 

I have to get properly training bjj first to see if I get the bug first, obviously. Then I would only go into comps that are respectful to the craft and the spirit of competition. 

They do make you very good though. It's the prep leading up and the skill level of opponents. 

For example, when someone used to tell me they were a blackbelt in karate, I would ask if they compete...I don't want to knock a style i love but due to karate's popularity back in the day, you unfortunately had Mc'dojos popping up handing out blackbelts like hot cakes. If the person was to say they were that rank and compete in KarateBC etc comps though, i would know that they were legit. 

It's really neat to hear you are so into it Riff, I remember you talking about it and here you are putting in the time with excitement! very cool,

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Pet peeve:

People who YouTube olympic lifts and then start doing them at the gym, completely butchering the form, putting themselves at risk for injury, and then slamming the weights because they think that's a part of it. 

People who slam the weights in general such as with deadlift. That is literally not the objective of a deadlift.. 

• Upvote 1

Was violently ill last night, so for good reason, not at the gym today, which is the first time in about 8 months that I haven’t worked out to start the week. Far too weak.

Otherwise, 8 months strong and feeling better than usual.

34 minutes ago, Monty said:

Was violently ill last night, so for good reason, not at the gym today, which is the first time in about 8 months that I haven’t worked out to start the week. Far too weak.

Otherwise, 8 months strong and feeling better than usual.

Love the battle level Monty

• Thanks 1

So three months ago, I did my first body fat percentage, and was “ok” with the results. For fun, I did it again today (moments ago) at the gym, and was not impressed that I clocked in at 1.7% higher.

Then, and I’m not making this up, I looked over my shoulder between my squat sets, and I see a guy working out in a bathrobe.

I don’t feel as bad about myself, now :lol: 

• Haha 3

I've started finally doing my due diligence and made leg day my #1 priority recently. I have a question--when showing off to all one's friends how strong one's legs now are by using the leg press, would one include only the plates on the leg press or does the structure on which the plates sit count as any weight (similar to how the bar is often counted when calculating bench press weight)?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

don't be stingy. And you might actually enjoy yourself. 

I can’t, no matter how drunk I am. Came close once but I was so drunk I couldn’t get the wood on it. 

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I've started finally doing my due diligence and made leg day my #1 priority recently. I have a question--when showing off to all one's friends how strong one's legs now are by using the leg press, would one include only the plates on the leg press or does the structure on which the plates sit count as any weight (similar to how the bar is often counted when calculating bench press weight)?

Leg press doesn’t count. If you want to show off to your friends, show them how much you can squat. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HI5 said:

I can’t, no matter how drunk I am. Came close once but I was so drunk I couldn’t get the wood on it. 

Leg press doesn’t count. If you want to show off to your friends, show them how much you can squat. 

I was just joking about the showing off, haha, that's not really my jam. The squat bar has always really hurt my shoulders/neck for some reason, so I prefer other exercises.

Felt two pops in my upper thigh last night doing unweighted lunges.

immediate burning sensation in my thigh.

i was able to continue on with some other core drills 

this morning it feels stiff but only a bit sore 

I have to say I’m pretty bummed. Things were going well.  I was having great days without pain from other injuries lately.

not sure what to do here as I don’t feel much pain but I know there is some injury now for sure.  

Very  frustrated.  I will see my physio ASAP after the holiday break but if anyone has experience in leg muscle injuries I’d be interested in hearing about it.

Big day. Exactly 9 months since I started working out. Bought running shoes yesterday so I’m beginning my journey to complete a half marathon next summer.

No weight loss since June. Don’t care. Incredibly fit, alert, and have so much energy.