The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

The bad news:

minor tear of the rectus femoris

the good news:

physio said I may be able to train the leg in a couple of weeks (I’m two and a half weeks into the injury)

im so pumped as it turns out to be not as bad as I thought.

still training everything else

• Cheers 3

55 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Yikes

How did that happen?

Unweighted lunges

on a timer for 1.5 minutes

one leg at a time then squats

with speed 

then a set holding the form for 1min

so I literally hurt myself stretching lol.

ive been doing this for about three months so I just got unlucky I guess.

happened during the repeat set.  Heard two pops right through my headphones 

oddly I have almost all function in the leg other then extension positions.  But with use during the day the inflammation pressures the nerve along the femur and my thigh will go totally numb

its a strange injury 

cant say enough about my physio I owe her so much this year 

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Reminds me of my recent shoulder injury. Pretty much messed myself up by lifting my arms.

Went too hard in gym. Then played volleyball. Struggled to put on an undershirt for a week after.  lol

Shoulder injuries are so frustrating 

hurt mine for the first time (left) about three months ago.  And Ye I understand what you mean.  Even clothing myself hurt.

22 hours ago, riffraff said:

Unweighted lunges

on a timer for 1.5 minutes

one leg at a time then squats

with speed 

then a set holding the form for 1min

so I literally hurt myself stretching lol.

ive been doing this for about three months so I just got unlucky I guess.

happened during the repeat set.  Heard two pops right through my headphones 

oddly I have almost all function in the leg other then extension positions.  But with use during the day the inflammation pressures the nerve along the femur and my thigh will go totally numb

its a strange injury 

cant say enough about my physio I owe her so much this year 

Be careful with split squats too. You can feel the muscle tear at your arse and hammy if your range of motion is too deep or your form is really bad. 

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Be careful with split squats too. You can feel the muscle tear at your arse and hammy if your range of motion is too deep or your form is really bad. 

Thanks.

i think it’s possible that my rom was too deep for the lunge

my lead leg is at a perfect 90 over the foot but my extending rear leg has most likely been too low and too far back.

i should have picked up on the burning sensation I’ve had a few times before the injury.  The day it happened I felt the burning starting (not the lactic build up kind, actual heat) and the all of the sudden “pop pop “

as I said earlier I have been doing this routine for some time so it was surprising and I have been riding bike long distances for the last couple years up to 250km per week so I thought the legs were good and strong. The way she goes.

at my age it’s the main reason why I do mostly body weight/plyo/calisthenics routines so at least I can feel the injury coming on.  Now I know the sensations to look out for.

Edited by riffraff

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Not sure of the above is terrific progress, but it’s progress nonetheless. And the only person I’m competing against is myself. And I’m happy with my progression.

Progress is progress regardless of comparisons to others.

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2020 at 10:12 AM, Monty said:

Hockey tonight! Been looking forward to this all week. Going to see if I can find another team during the week so I can play more. While it would be nice to have more people show up than last week, I also want to do another 45 minute shift marathon session.

On another note, lifting is going really well. When I first started back on March 21st, here is a brief snapshot of where I was, and where I am now (not all exercises):

Bicep Curls

Then: 8 lbs

Now: 40lbs

Bench Press

Then: Barely just the bar (45lbs) (but did pushups instead)

Now: 135lbs

Squats

Then: 15lbs

Now: 135lbs

Lunges

Then: Body Weight

Now: 90lbs

Shoulder Press

Then: 20lbs

Now: 60lbs

Tricep Dips

Then: Feet on floor, hands on bench

Now: Full body weight, using bars

Chin Ups

Then: Couldn’t

Now: Can do 3 sets of 8

Burpees

Then: One set of 10

Now: 3 sets of 50

There’s a number of others, but those aren’t as “sexy” (ie: Planks, Back Extension, Lat Pulldown, Tricep Curl, etc).

Not sure if the above is terrific progress, but it’s progress nonetheless. And the only person I’m competing against is myself. And I’m happy with my progression.

You are doing awesome!

• Thanks 1

So I fell during a soccer game and sprained my knee and injured the back of my knee. I went to the er and doctor told me sprained knee and probably a hamstring impact injury. So I iced and rested for most of the past 4weeks. No legs just upper body at the gym. My knee is still making a clicking pop sound when I extend it on the inner part, back of the knee. Anyone have an idea what it could be?  

I can walk and even run.  It's my first big knee injury. Been a learning experience that's for sure haha. 

14 hours ago, milk and honey said:

So I fell during a soccer game and sprained my knee and injured the back of my knee. I went to the er and doctor told me sprained knee and probably a hamstring impact injury. So I iced and rested for most of the past 4weeks. No legs just upper body at the gym. My knee is still making a clicking pop sound when I extend it on the inner part, back of the knee. Anyone have an idea what it could be?  

I can walk and even run.  It's my first big knee injury. Been a learning experience that's for sure haha. 

Without assessing, sounds like popliteus syndrome.

15 hours ago, milk and honey said:

1. Go to a doctor. Don't get medical advice on the internet.

It could be anything. If you have swelling in the knee, this could result in misalignment of any number of components in the knee, including the knee cap. It could also be something far more significant like a tear. 

21 hours ago, Monty said:

Added a 25lb weight to my tricep dips (like the pic below). While I've felt like a true gym rat for some time, today is the day I felt like I finally made it.

Weighted_Tricep_Dips.png

If your gym doesn't have those fancy belt things, you can achieve a similar affect with a dumbbell between the legs. Just watch out to make sure you aren't putting pressure on the knees/hips when you use the dumbbell. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, taxi said:

If your gym doesn't have those fancy belt things, you can achieve a similar affect with a dumbbell between the legs. Just watch out to make sure you aren't putting pressure on the knees/hips when you use the dumbbell. 

Thankfully my gym does have one. But I travel all the time, so this helps. Thanks!

16 hours ago, milk and honey said:

Bike rides are one of the best safe exercises to strengethen the muscles around the knee. Since you keep mentioning behind the knee if there is still swelling there look up bakers cysts, i developed one of those when i tore my acl they are super annoying. Besides that go see a physio and try to get an Mri, maybe you tore your mensicus or any other small tears could cause the effect and there are specific exercises to rehab each injury properly.

• Thanks 1