The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

On 1/26/2020 at 3:50 PM, Monty said:

I got hockey tonight.

Going to slash some ankles.

Been doing heavy squats twice early in the week, and play hockey on Sunday. Noticing a big difference in my game. I feel like I can bound around the ice...my edge work is also getting better, so it could have something to do with that. 

14 minutes ago, taxi said:

Been doing heavy squats twice early in the week, and play hockey on Sunday. Noticing a big difference in my game. I feel like I can bound around the ice...my edge work is also getting better, so it could have something to do with that. 

Funny you say this, because I noticed a massive change over the last few weeks, likely because of the same reason. I’m training for a 10k in May, so I’m bulking up at the moment. Less reps, heavier weight. And yeah, I’ve really noticed the difference in my edge work, especially last game.

6 hours ago, Monty said:

Funny you say this, because I noticed a massive change over the last few weeks, likely because of the same reason. I’m training for a 10k in May, so I’m bulking up at the moment. Less reps, heavier weight. And yeah, I’ve really noticed the difference in my edge work, especially last game.

You're bulking up to train for a 10k race?

6 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

You're bulking up to train for a 10k race?

Well, my father used to run compete in Ironman’s back in the day, and he mentioned that in the 6 months before a race, you bulk up the first 2 months, then, you scale back on the weight, do more reps, and prepare your body for endurance.

I’ve also never raced before, so I want to make sure I’m over prepared, and not under.

On 2/3/2020 at 7:16 PM, Monty said:

Hockey last night. It was another marathon game, as our side only had 7 guys. This time, 2 shifts off, 54 minutes played. Was absolutely spent.

Beat this today. We only had 6 players on our side. Played all 60 minutes.

I’m dead.

8 hours ago, riffraff said:

Starting to dabble in isometrics and time under load routines.  What I like most is the breathing discipline required and the ability to attempt overcoming panic once the imminent failure occurs.  Well, actually what I like most is I won’t get hurt.

I prefer eccentrics to isometrics myself but there’s definitely a time and place for both. Isometrics are a great way to hammer in form and full body tension. 

I’m no expert, by any stretch, but I believe I’ve read eccentrics are very beneficial for rehab/prehab stuff. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Sore or painful? Some muscular soreness would be very normal. 

Sore. It’s just new to me, as I haven’t been this sore since I first started working out. Guess the deadlift is working muscles I’ve never focused on.

6 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I prefer eccentrics to isometrics myself but there’s definitely a time and place for both. Isometrics are a great way to hammer in form and full body tension. 

I’m no expert, by any stretch, but I believe I’ve read eccentrics are very beneficial for rehab/prehab stuff. 

Budding expert!

you're right.  My tennis elbow rehab involved concentric and eccentric exercises.

my current quad (rectus femoris specifically) rehab I have one isometric exercise to perform along with some other types of drills.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Sore. It’s just new to me, as I haven’t been this sore since I first started working out. Guess the deadlift is working muscles I’ve never focused on.

Deadlifts work your spinal erectors like crazy, probably more than any other exercise you could do, so it would make sense. Any time I’ve done DL’s after not doing them for a while I’m sore as hell all up my posterior. 

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Budding expert!

you're right.  My tennis elbow rehab involved concentric and eccentric exercises.

my current quad (rectus femoris specifically) rehab I have one isometric exercise to perform along with some other types of drills.

Are you doing like a lunge/split squat hold? I do those for some rec fem activation and they work like a charm. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Deadlifts work your spinal erectors like crazy, probably more than any other exercise you could do, so it would make sense. Any time I’ve done DL’s after not doing them for a while I’m sore as hell all up my posterior. 

Are you doing like a lunge/split squat hold? I do those for some rec fem activation and they work like a charm. 

Absolutely.  One of my favourites - unweighted lunges.  I alternate between moving lunges and held.

ironically that’s how I hurt myself.  But I’m early healed and have resumed the exercise albeit dialed back a little during the moving lunges.

finding that farmers carry is helping my injury as well.

37 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Absolutely.  One of my favourites - unweighted lunges.  I alternate between moving lunges and held.

ironically that’s how I hurt myself.  But I’m early healed and have resumed the exercise albeit dialed back a little during the moving lunges.

finding that farmers carry is helping my injury as well.

All types of carries are some of my favourite exercises. Not enough people do them. Farmer carries, suitcase carries, overhead carries, etc. Awesome stuff. They’ll get you strong in a safe way too. 

• Cheers 1