The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

I calculated how much, give or take, the entire home gym equipment my father gave me, and it’s around $1100-$1200! So grateful that he gave it to me. He could have easily sold it all, especially now.

I’m a squat rack and whatever those gym tile pieces are away from setting up a makeshift gym in my garage and cancelling my gym membership outright.

• Cheers 1

I know the difficult thing working out at home now is the constant temptation to always do barbell curls or dumbbell curls whenever I’m in my media room or office. Worried that I won’t give my body the proper rest needed.

Been working at home doing mostly body weight stuff. Did a 10k run today..

I’m having a hard time staying motivated. I mean, I’m staying active but I’m not enjoying it as much. I think I get a real boost from working out in a group setting that I just don’t when I’m by myself.

i will continue to push on.

• Cheers 1

So, I started running again in Feb after taking 5 months off over the winter. I started running somewhat regularly again 2 years ago but I don't take it seriously enough to run during the winter (I'm really not a fan of treadmills). The last couple of years I did some hiking and other activities to stay in shape, but there was a noticeable drop in performance when I started running again and I needed a couple months to get back to where I left off the previous summer. I accepted this as the trade off for not wanting to run over the winter.

This winter I started working out at an F45 close to home. I had worked out at F45 few times but nothing sustained because there wasn't one conveniently located until this one opened last August. I had considered myself to be in pretty decent shape prior to joining but man the workouts kicked my butt. I committed to going 5-6 per week, sometimes more, and have noticed some decent gains in strength and substantial losses in fat (I went from 20% to 15%). And I'm not a young guy so I think it's a little tougher for me.

Anyway, the point of the story is that when I went back to running (I still do F45, although I'm doing the home workouts now) I basically started where I left off last August. There were not any huge decrease in speed and, if anything, my endurance has ramped up. I ran 17k today (my longest run to date) at a speed that took me about 3 months of training last year to achieve. I'm totally shocked at how much better my cardio and endurance is since I've joined F45.

Not sure why I'm sharing this.. just pretty happy atm in a time when there's lots to be unhappy about I guess ;)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, babych said:

So, I started running again in Feb after taking 5 months off over the winter. I started running somewhat regularly again 2 years ago but I don't take it seriously enough to run during the winter (I'm really not a fan of treadmills). The last couple of years I did some hiking and other activities to stay in shape, but there was a noticeable drop in performance when I started running again and I needed a couple months to get back to where I left off the previous summer. I accepted this as the trade off for not wanting to run over the winter.

This winter I started working out at an F45 close to home. I had worked out at F45 few times but nothing sustained because there wasn't one conveniently located until this one opened last August. I had considered myself to be in pretty decent shape prior to joining but man the workouts kicked my butt. I committed to going 5-6 per week, sometimes more, and have noticed some decent gains in strength and substantial losses in fat (I went from 20% to 15%). And I'm not a young guy so I think it's a little tougher for me.

Anyway, the point of the story is that when I went back to running (I still do F45, although I'm doing the home workouts now) I basically started where I left off last August. There were not any huge decrease in speed and, if anything, my endurance has ramped up. I ran 17k today (my longest run to date) at a speed that took me about 3 months of training last year to achieve. I'm totally shocked at how much better my cardio and endurance is since I've joined F45.

Not sure why I'm sharing this.. just pretty happy atm in a time when there's lots to be unhappy about I guess ;)

Man way to go!

17km is awesome!

Keep it up!

• Thanks 1

I encourage anyone who is looking into ways to workout away from the gym but struggling with a lack of equipment to investigate:

time under load workout routines.

trx apparatus

rubber bands

chin up bar (you can build yourself)

forklift (cargo) strap

any or all of the above

it’s all you need

check it out

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

I encourage anyone who is looking into ways to workout away from the gym but struggling with a lack of equipment to investigate:

time under load workout routines.

trx apparatus

rubber bands

chin up bar (you can build yourself)

forklift (cargo) strap

any or all of the above

it’s all you need

check it out

Attached a quick 3 day no equipment (but bands) program I threw together for a friend.

Meant to be a short (15 min - she has kids) keep HR high hit volume reps workout that gets a sweat going.

For anyone that wants a general guide. 

Workout.pdf

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Week 2 of working out from home. Haven’t missed a day, yet. Missing the gym, but getting through my workouts. Just find it a little difficult, even while working out, to finish them. Really helping mental health while being cooped up.