The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

I don’t actually miss watching professional hockey. Wouldn’t be bothered if it never came back.

However, I do miss playing beer league. Great workout followed by downing a beer faster than I normally would.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Attempted some endurance work for running today - did 3 runs, each one about 6.8 km in length in succession. I started on the hour, ran, then rested 15 mins or so until the hour was up then ran again. Altogether I ran 20.5k in 2 hours 10 mins of run time, spread out over three hours.

I'm so friggin beat.

Edited by babych
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/16/2020 at 6:24 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

Joined the 300 club in 2 of the 3 'big' lifts

315 DL

305 Squat

245 bench :(

Can't wait for the day to hit the 300 triple crown 

That's so awesome! Definitely out of MY weight class :) 

On 2/16/2020 at 7:24 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

315 DL

305 Squat

1 hour ago, babych said:

That's so awesome! Definitely out of MY weight class :) 

Yeah, me too. Despite working out consistently the last year, I had A LOT of work to do just to get into decent shape. 

At the moment, I can do 3 sets of 10 for squats, at 165lbs. So, not terrific. I might be able to do one rep at 305, but not sure.

Rarely do deadlifts, but maybe the same, at 165lb.

Bench I’m not even close. I can’t even do one rep at 225 :( 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yeah, me too. Despite working out consistently the last year, I had A LOT of work to do just to get into decent shape. 

At the moment, I can do 3 sets of 10 for squats, at 165lbs. So, not terrific. I might be able to do one rep at 305, but not sure.

But it's ok...because everyone's at their own starting/point and you are awesome wherever you're at...don't be discouraged.  I worked out with a competitive body sculptor and yeah, no.  

Don't worry about others....as long as you're doin' it, you're good to go.  Nowhere but up...

Set your own marks with pride.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Monty said:

I don’t actually miss watching professional hockey. Wouldn’t be bothered if it never came back.

However, I do miss playing beer league. Great workout followed by downing a beer faster than I normally would.

I am DYING INSIDE without it.  

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 4/4/2020 at 6:48 PM, debluvscanucks said:

But it's ok...because everyone's at their own starting/point and you are awesome wherever you're at...don't be discouraged.  I worked out with a competitive body sculptor and yeah, no.  

Don't worry about others....as long as you're doin' it, you're good to go.  Nowhere but up...

Thanks Deb.

I’m actually pretty comfortable with where I’m at. I know it will take years of consistent training to get to somewhere even close to that level. And even then, it may never happen. Which is fine. Just happy with the progress I have made.

The biggest hurdle for me was being happy with what the scale says. My entire life, despite being relatively active, I’ve always been a little heavier (bad eating habits). So I was always a person that paid far too close attention to the scale. The last year of working out, while I still weigh myself, I’m not bothered at all when the scale shows 179 pounds vs. the 173 I was in September, last year, because I know it’s muscle.

The difference to my physique is obviously awesome, but as anyone who’s active can attest to, it’s the difference made to ones mental health state which is the best change.

On 4/4/2020 at 6:49 PM, debluvscanucks said:

I am DYING INSIDE without it.  

There’s always this:

DBFEBB0F-C58F-4355-8565-56FAE86D8F32.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2020 at 5:44 PM, Monty said:

On 4/4/2020 at 5:48 PM, debluvscanucks said:

I 100% agree. I started taking my health seriously a couple years ago and I'd say I'm a pretty fit guy. I use personal benchmarks for the most part (ie - trying to lift more, run faster/farther, etc) but I also like seeing what other people are doing as it gives me motivation to go harder.

That being said, I'm 5'6" and 150lbs so it's highly unlikely that I'll ever hit 300lbs in anything. Well, maybe leg press but that doesn't count. I can do close to 200 in deads and squats and can bench my weight so I'm pretty happy with that.

I hope everyone is staying safe and sane :)

• Cheers 3

On 4/4/2020 at 9:40 AM, Monty said:

I wouldn’t say I don’t miss it, but if I had to choose one that could come back I would choose playing sports easily. 

• Cheers 1

On 4/4/2020 at 4:48 PM, debluvscanucks said:

Exactly!

Ive played sports all my life and have been weight lifting for about 5 years with different goals here and there.

A buddy I lift with warms up with my max. 

We’re all chasing someone. :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/16/2020 at 5:24 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

315 DL

305 Squat

You need to work on your deadlift more than anything. Most people can only bench about 60% of their deadllft.

2 hours ago, taxi said:

You need to work on your deadlift more than anything. Most people can only bench about 60% of their deadllft.

Interesting, I’ve never looked at it like that way. This means I’m benching 50% of my deadlift, yesss I got another 10% left wooo! 

7 hours ago, taxi said:

Agreed. I used to push hard on deadlift but I’ve eased off on aggressively trying to increase the Weight and have been more focused on working on my leverages. 

I’m scared to test my maxes post covid. It’ll likely have been 16-24 weeks since my last real lift when the gyms finally re open

Even with an “ok” weight setup at home where I can do 80% of my regular exercises, I’m still having a difficult time keeping motivated like before. I’m still doing my workouts, but it’s starting to feel a lot different, and I can tell today that I’m not pushing myself as hard, and I’m starting to not care about pushing myself further.

As long as I still workout, that’s the main thing. But the drive to go harder isn’t there. I think being at the gym around others to push further than them is what motivates me.

• Huggy Bear 1

18 hours ago, HI5 said:

Interesting, I’ve never looked at it like that way. This means I’m benching 50% of my deadlift, yesss I got another 10% left wooo! 

Varies from person to person. However if you're bench is getting to 80% you're legs and posterior chain are probably underdeveloped, which is going to cause a lot of problems.

I actually has to be one of these too. My bench was around 300 and my deadlift was only 315 or so. Now I'm more balanced and my shoulders, running ability, functionality, posture, etc are all vastly improved.

Edited by taxi

• 2 weeks later...

My employer is giving me $500 to put towards health and fitness; figured i'd look into getting a bicycle as my old one is trash.

Anyone know anything about bikes? Maybe guide me in the right direction, so far all I know is i'm looking for a road bike. :wacko:

7 hours ago, HI5 said:

My employer is giving me $500 to put towards health and fitness; figured i'd look into getting a bicycle as my old one is trash.

Anyone know anything about bikes? Maybe guide me in the right direction, so far all I know is i'm looking for a road bike. :wacko:

One time driving around stanley park there was this dude on one of those thin wheeled bikes going like 60+ km/h. Keeping up with the cars

• Upvote 1