The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

3 hours ago, HI5 said:

Social distancing at the gym would be interesting. 

I'd love for my gym to implement a "signing up for a class" style social distancing protocol.

Ex: Only 25 people in the gym at a time (it's massive, 25 people could maintain 50+ feet of space easily)

You sign up on a first come first serve basis for a time of up to 30-45 minutes on their website. 

You can show up and work out during your designated time.

Let's say it's 45 minute blocks. You can sign up for the top of the hour every hour between 5am and 8pm. 

The staff spends 15 mins after each 45 min block wiping down all the equipment

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Going to the gym for the first couple weeks is going to be an utter waste of time; it will be insanely busy and your workout will suck. May as well continue with the body weight exercises until things calm down. 

So true. $&!#ty man. 

I was wondering where all the weights I used to have went, turns out this guy needed them:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/celebrity/game-of-thrones-actor-hafthor-bjornsson-sets-deadlift-world-record/ar-BB13wVVQ?ocid=spartandhp

"

The Mountain has shattered a world record.

Hafthor Bjornsson, who played Ser Gregor Clegane, better known as The Mountain, on “Game of Thrones,” has a deadlift world record. He lifted 1,104 pounds (501 kilograms) at Thor’s Power Gym in Iceland on Saturday while livestreaming the historic occasion.

The previous deadlifting record was set by fellow strongman Eddie Hall in 2016 for lifting 500 kilograms (1,102 pounds), becoming the first man to ever do it.

Bjornsson, who is 6 feet 9 inches tall and weighs 452 pounds, posted a video of the deadlift on his Instagram, letting out a roar after he drops the weight and finishes. He won the World’s Strongest Man competition in 2018 and has earned third place or higher every year since 2012.

The Mountain was played by two actors, Conan Stevens and Ian Whyte, in early appearances on “Game of Thrones,” then Bjornsson took over the role in season 4 until the finale.

On Instagram, he said, “I have no words. What an amazing day, one I will remember for the rest of my life. I said I was coming for it, and once I set my mind on something, I’m a dog with a bone. I want to give a huge shoutout to my family, friends, coaches, fans, sponsors and haters, all of whom helped this lift be possible.”

Staying at home hasn't been easy for some, including gym bunnies. But in just a few months' time, it seems like there could be good news for GoodLife fitness members in the country. Keeping current measures in place, CEO David Patchell-Evans hopes to reopen his GoodLife gyms by July 1. However, things sound likely to be a little different whenever in-gym workouts become possible again, potentially even including mandatory appointments.

According to The London Free Press, the owner and CEO of GoodLife hopes to have the gyms up and running by July 1 under best practices, with maintaining safety as the main priority.

“We will need to see lower incidence of virus, fewer people with problems. We will not be the first ones back. If things start to reopen in about two weeks, I would like to (reopen GoodLife) about six weeks after that. I am hoping for Canada Day across Canada,” Patchell-Evans told The LFP.

He adds that health and safety measures upon reopening will include re-positioning equipment to ensure it is two metres apart, limiting spots in fitness classes, and limiting entry.

Per The LFP, that last policy means members would be required to book their sessions online in advance, even just to use weights and/or machines. 

So, simply being a member might not be enough anymore.

https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/goodlife-gyms-across-in-canada-may-ask-members-to-make-appointments-from-now-on

30 minutes ago, Monty said:

Ran 6 miles outside yesterday and experiencing ITB syndrome. This is rough.

I dealt with some ITB in early 2019. It was pretty brutal. Just hopping out of my work truck bothered it (it's a 2 ton so a bit of a hop down). I found some self myofascial release on the IT Band, quad, glutes, etc along with some glute activation stuff (particularly glute med) seemed to help.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

I dealt with some ITB in early 2019. It was pretty brutal. Just hopping out of my work truck bothered it (it's a 2 ton so a bit of a hop down). I found some self myofascial release on the IT Band, quad, glutes, etc along with some glute activation stuff (particularly glute med) seemed to help.

Thanks!

After my run, I didn't do any weights (which is a first). Thankfully today I'm not working legs, so workout now should be "ok".

9 minutes ago, Monty said:

Thanks!

After my run, I didn't do any weights (which is a first). Thankfully today I'm not working legs, so workout now should be "ok".

I don't seem to recall the ITB syndrome bothering too much while lifting but I could be misremembering. I'd probably avoid lateral stuff like side lunges, Kossack squats, etc though. 

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

I don't seem to recall the ITB syndrome bothering too much while lifting but I could be misremembering. I'd probably avoid lateral stuff like side lunges, Kossack squats, etc though. 

Yesterday was supposed to be lunges and squats, so the fact that running and the damage afterwards cut that out, means that I have until next Thursday to see how bad the damage actually is.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yesterday was supposed to be lunges and squats, so the fact that running and the damage afterwards cut that out, means that I have until next Thursday to see how bad the damage actually is.

NSAID's will be your friend in the meantime.

• Thanks 1

Managed to buy a 40lb weighted vest and a suspension training set from Fitness Depot for $210 after tax. I should be able to get a lot done with that for a while as I don't plan on going back to a public gym until there's a vaccine. How long it takes Fitness Depot to fill the order may be a separate issue, however...

On 5/8/2020 at 9:22 AM, Monty said:

Ran 6 miles outside yesterday and experiencing ITB syndrome. This is rough.

Foam roller helps me a lot with that .. releasing tension in the muscles that surround the IT band.  It really annoys me as I already have a long knee injury history so when the outside of my knee gets sore I get scared I messed up my knee but usually its just tight all over.

https://www.stack.com/a/foam-roll-it-band 

this is a great article on it

https://www.runtothefinish.com/stop-foam-rolling-it-band/