The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Just now, Chicken. said:

Foam roller helps me a lot with that .. releasing tension in the muscles that surround the IT band.  It really annoys me as I already have a long knee injury history so when the outside of my knee gets sore I get scared I messed up my knee but usually its just tight all over.

https://www.stack.com/a/foam-roll-it-band 

this is a great article on it

https://www.runtothefinish.com/stop-foam-rolling-it-band/ 

Totally forgot that we have one of these in the house. My wife uses it for her workouts. It's been 6 days and my left leg is still bothering me.

So I probably should have started this a few months ago, but I’m gonna spend the summer working on getting in shape from home mostly using dumbbells, battle ropes and medicine balls. What are some good workouts for using those three?

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

Totally forgot that we have one of these in the house. My wife uses it for her workouts. It's been 6 days and my left leg is still bothering me.

Is it outside of the knee discomfort/pain ? 

for me it is usually felt in this spot

image.png.b7d5e2272cfaadd281fa29514932669a.png

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

So I probably should have started this a few months ago, but I’m gonna spend the summer working on getting in shape from home mostly using dumbbells, battle ropes and medicine balls. What are some good workouts for using those three?

You're limited only by your imagination there. How much weight do you have in the dumbbells?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

Sky is the limit and youtube is your friend... what weight are the dumbbells / medicine ball ?   Goblet squats are a personal favorite of mine

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a27397099/full-body-dumbbell-workout/ 

these are killer to do with the medicine ball another go-to of mine

image.png.683a5107048fdadd668db0b4e4cef776.png

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Chicken. said:

Yeah, pretty much that exact spot. Left leg on the outside. Getting old sucks.

The only fun thing about getting old is being able to:

1. Tell kids to get off of my yard (fence has helped that); and

2. Begin conversations with kids, "Back in my day..."

Just now, Monty said:

Yeah, pretty much that exact spot. Left leg on the outside. Getting old sucks.

The only fun thing about getting old is being able to:

1. Tell kids to get off of my yard (fence has helped that); and

2. Begin conversations with kids, "Back in my day..."

It's okay.. I am only 30 and have this issue. Although I have been coping without an ACL for years now which is probably a factor.

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

You're limited only by your imagination there. How much weight do you have in the dumbbells?

Exactly what SM said. There are so many great exercises to do with dumbbells, especially if you have a pretty big variety of weight to choose from. If you have a lot of different choices, it would be dumbbells all day from me. However, like SM said, the limit really is you imagination. Body weight exercises alone can be fantastic, as long as you are pushing yourself.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

5 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Sky is the limit and youtube is your friend... what weight are the dumbbells / medicine ball ?   Goblet squats are a personal favorite of mine

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a27397099/full-body-dumbbell-workout/ 

these are killer to do with the medicine ball another go-to of mine

image.png.683a5107048fdadd668db0b4e4cef776.png

I currently have 10lb and 15lb dumbbells and the medicine ball I got is 5lbs. I think I’ll probably get 20lb dumbbells since 15s are pretty light for me.

Just now, Pears said:

I currently have 10lb and 15lb dumbbells and the medicine ball I got is 5lbs. I think I’ll probably get 20lb dumbbells since 15s are pretty light for me.

Shoulder raises (straight out front, and to the side)

Wrist/forearm curls

Shoulder press controlled

Bicep curls

these will also slay you, bulgarian split squat I think they are called just put your back leg on the couch;

image.png.1ea97f65ef0ae03668b8eb8a2b5d3f81.png 

12 minutes ago, Pears said:

You can make those weights feel much heavier, even with stronger muscle groups like the legs. Change the tempo with a slow negative and/or a pause on the isometric, do high reps, etc. Circuit-style training would probably be the best bang for your buck. You can find countless different circuit workouts online. Tinker with the templates and do the ones you like. My favourite circuit looks something like this:

1 minute AMRAP squats 

1 minute AMRAP pushups 

1 minute AMRAP rows

3 minutes max effort cardio 

1 minute AMRAP military press

1 minute AMRAP split squats 

1 minute Plank

1 minute AMRAP lunges 

1 minute AMRAP pull-ups 

1 minute AMRAP pushups 

1 minute AMRAP sit-ups 

1 minute plank 

That’s 20 minutes flat right there and you’ll be pretty dam wiped after it. You can modify or add to/subtract from it however you’d like. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Shoulder raises (straight out front, and to the side)

Wrist/forearm curls

Shoulder press controlled

Bicep curls

these will also slay you, bulgarian split squat I think they are called just put your back leg on the couch;

image.png.1ea97f65ef0ae03668b8eb8a2b5d3f81.png 

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

You can make those weights feel much heavier, even with stronger muscle groups like the legs. Change the tempo with a slow negative and/or a pause on the isometric, do high reps, etc. Circuit-style training would probably be the best bang for your buck. You can find countless different circuit workouts online. Tinker with the templates and do the ones you like. My favourite circuit looks something like this:

1 minute AMRAP squats 

1 minute AMRAP pushups 

1 minute AMRAP rows

1 minute AMRAP military press

1 minute AMRAP split squats 

1 minute Plank

1 minute AMRAP lunges 

1 minute AMRAP pull-ups 

1 minute AMRAP pushups 

1 minute AMRAP sit-ups 

1 minute plank 

That’s 20 minutes flat right there and you’ll be pretty dam wiped after it. You can modify or add to/subtract from it however you’d like. 

Sounds good I’ll give these a go. Thanks. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

that was pretty much my entire ski season right there until I stared doing squats on a regular basis all year. No way around it now. 

3 hours ago, Pears said:

Athlean X has a large number of YouTube videos for dumbbells, med balls, and bodyweight exercises that hit all the different muscle groups. And Jeff Cavaliere is one of the most respected names in the business.  You could give his videos a look see.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

My suspension trainer and weight vest I ordered this morning are already ready for pickup. That’s great. The forecast for the next week, however, looks like it’s ready to take a big dump on my outdoor workout plans. 

If you live in a high rise use the weighted vest up the stair case.

I don't like running in the rain either but I saw a fellow running this morning with a weighted vest on in the rain. Quite motivating to see lol

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

If you live in a high rise use the weighted vest up the stair case.

I don't like running in the rain either but I saw a fellow running this morning with a weighted vest on in the rain. Quite motivating to see lol

That guy’s a helluva lot more motivated than I am lol. I was hoping to take the vest and suspension trainer to the park behind my house and get some stuff done there. Might have to work around the weather now. 

On 5/8/2020 at 11:22 AM, Monty said:

Ran 6 miles outside yesterday and experiencing ITB syndrome. This is rough.

On 5/8/2020 at 12:37 PM, Sean Monahan said:

NSAID's will be your friend in the meantime.

Had to take a two week break from working legs and limit walking, as well. Leg kept on acting up, even doing simple yardwork. Finally, after 13 days, I was pain free (on Tuesday). So yesterday I ran half a mile and walked 2 more. Everything felt great afterwards. Going to take it easy with no running on concrete. Don't want to do irreversible damage, especially come hockey season in the fall.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Had to take a two week break from working legs and limit walking, as well. Leg kept on acting up, even doing simple yardwork. Finally, after 13 days, I was pain free (on Tuesday). So yesterday I ran half a mile and walked 2 more. Everything felt great afterwards. Going to take it easy with no running on concrete. Don't want to do irreversible damage, especially come hockey season in the fall.

I don't think I've had any issues with it since the pain subsided. I'd just ease back into things. For me, it was a pretty sudden and large increase in my daily walking that aggravated it I think. Body adjusted, ITB has been fine since.

• Cheers 1