The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Saw this on reddit and lol'd:

pxb8mf43u4551.jpg.7209ac61f1da98928c090c290beec09e.jpg

Definitely true, though if you have no game their will definitely be some chicks that will flock to you just for your abs. 

27 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Who here has gone all organic vegetables and grass fed/organic protein. Have you noticed any difference? 

I’ve never tried it, just hear ppl say they’re gassy all day long.

55 minutes ago, Monty said:

Today will be an interesting day. Will up my squats from 165lbs to 185lbs. Will try and complete my regular reps, but may have to go down 2-3 reps in my set. 

I wouldn't push your body to the limits for squatting.  I did, and now my knee and hip give me pain.  I was also being an idiot and upping the weight every week until I hit 335.

23 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I wouldn't push your body to the limits for squatting.  I did, and now my knee and hip give me pain.  I was also being an idiot and upping the weight every week until I hit 335.

Thanks for the advice. I’ve been staying at 165 for a while now. Although I don’t want to go too hard, I do feel like 185 isn’t unrealistic, at all. I’m only 15 months into working out, so I don’t expect to be anywhere near where seasoned gym rats are at, but I also know I should push myself. 

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

Thanks for the advice. I’ve been staying at 165 for a while now. Although I don’t want to go too hard, I do feel like 185 isn’t unrealistic, at all. I’m only 15 months into working out, so I don’t expect to be anywhere near where seasoned gym rats are at, but I also know I should push myself. 

If you're not confident pushing it with the weight, you could simply push it with the reps at your current weight.

• Cheers 2

Ego lifting is good for nothing except, injuries, and developing bad form.

30 minutes ago, Monty said:

If you feel comfortable with 165, try 185.  I'd go to the gym and see how 165 feels first.

28 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Ego lifting is good for nothing except, injuries, and developing bad form.

If you feel comfortable with 165, try 185.  I'd go to the gym and see how 165 feels first.

I can push myself to do 165, with 10 reps and 3 sets. Feel good afterwards, although it certainly feel it. I know I’m not relaxing with the weight I do at the gym.

16 minutes ago, Monty said:

I can push myself to do 165, with 10 reps and 3 sets. Feel good afterwards, although it certainly feel it. I know I’m not relaxing with the weight I do at the gym.

If you can do 3x10 @ 165 you can definitely do 185 for a few solid reps.  It's good to push yourself, but you don't want to overdue it.  

I don't know how comfortable you are in the gym but you can probably do 205 for 3x3.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Monty said:

Well not only was that pleasantly surprising that I could do 205x3, but a real sense of accomplishment. March 2019, I could do 35lbs, total.

I'd keep doing that weight until you're comfortable doing 5-8 reps then try 225.

Maybe your squat can look something like this

Bar - Warmup

135 x 12 - 1 set

165 x 10 - 2 sets

205 x 3/5 - 3 sets

135 x max reps

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

I'd keep doing that weight until you're comfortable doing 5-8 reps then try 225.

Maybe your squat can look something like this

Bar - Warmup

135 x 12 - 1 set

165 x 10 - 2 sets

205 x 3/5 - 3 sets

135 x max reps

Thanks man! This is really helpful.

I ended up doing the following:

205x3 for 4 sets

215Xx2 for 1 set

But I appreciate the advice. My next squat day is this Monday (today was supposed to be a day of 8 different exercises in circuit training), but I’m slowly going away from circuits. So experimented today.

Monday I’ll try what you said.

12 minutes ago, Monty said:

Thanks man! This is really helpful.

I ended up doing the following:

205x3 for 4 sets

215Xx2 for 1 set

But I appreciate the advice. My next squat day is this Monday (today was supposed to be a day of 8 different exercises in circuit training), but I’m slowly going away from circuits. So experimented today.

Monday I’ll try what you said.

No worries man.

That's really good considering you were thinking of just doing 185!

I think the plan I recommended is pretty good, I find it works for my squat and bench.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

No worries man.

That's really good considering you were thinking of just doing 185!

I think the plan I recommended is pretty good, I find it works for my squat and bench.

Bench I’m not good, at all. Again, considering that I started in March 2019, and could barely lift anything, I’m really happy where I’m at. My arms definitely have definition, and have for a long time. But I can only bench 135. So NOT heavy.

As for dumbbells, I switch between 30lbs per arm to 35lbs, just depends on the amount of reps (anywhere from 12-15).

• Cheers 1