The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Honestly AV is getting out-coached again!

nitti999

What about the other Canucks not leaving Sharks guys wide open to whack away at rebounds? Or actually sustaining some offensive pressure and - heaven forbid - scoring a couple of goals. This team is terrible offensively and part of the reason is the line juggling and the fact that AV wants ALL players to be carbon copies of each other. I don't really care if a few guys are crapty defensively if they are given some leeway to take some chances to generate offense. The only guys seemingly allowed to do so are the Sedins (who pass way too much) and the defence.

I mean, for all the talk about how AV wants all players to be two way, solid defensively, etc. why is it that we actually pretty much suck defensively and have to rely on our goalies to be perfect to have a chance to win?

Seriously, WTF is that all about anyway?

The team isn't playing great, by the play on the boards in and out of the zone it's the same damn thing AV doesn't have any evolution to his coaching. He is honestly predictable. I could say worse but it is so evident. Bad line combos and terrible coaching.

U ppl only focus on negatives and that is normal otherwise you wouldn't make a post saying how AV is god because you will be flamed.

He made some good decisions during the season making lineup changes which helped win us some games, without those decisions we would probably be out of playoffs or playing Chicago first round. He did some good, and motivational wise is doing bad. Same old tricks won't work. He probably needs a different way to get the players ready for the game, that is his job.

U ppl only focus on negatives and that is normal otherwise you wouldn't make a post saying how AV is god because you will be flamed.

He made some good decisions during the season making lineup changes which helped win us some games, without those decisions we would probably be out of playoffs or playing Chicago first round. He did some good, and motivational wise is doing bad. Same old tricks won't work. He probably needs a different way to get the players ready for the game, that is his job.

Vigneault has showed us the same issues for years,

while I don't think last night was more about AV so much as the players...he didnt seem to help and it wasnt hard to see.

Honestly I'm beyond frustrated trying to comprehend Vigneault's thought process over the last few years.

I could go into the line shuffling rant but that one is so painfully obvious to everyone but him i suppose.

He doesn't even care about matchups.

The guys didn't win much for faceoffs, but on the other bench as another poster said the sharks we're keeping tabs on which of their centers beat which of our centers the most, and made sure that they took those draws when needed...

they beat us clean almost every time... thats smart coaching.

I was glad to see AV continue to go to Kass and Weise after their penalties because i thought they did well, for 4th liners

where they should develop Kass in the playoffs, after playing in chicago for the season since AV wasnt going to give him a chance anyway.

I still feel good about our players, they came out hard but a little too focused on hitting than scoring at times.

I think if AV re-aligned the lines to put them in a better position to succeed we would see better results.

I agree with most the posters line-up of

Sedins Burr ( Give them time and support, they do want to score believe it or not )

Higgins Kesler Roy ( Splitting them up didnt help us with faceoffs, if anything having 2 options on one line may be better)

Raymond Schroeder Hansen ( Schroeder is Ebbett Sized and Inexperienced, but the way they play together is better i don't see how it isnt an upgrade)

Weise Lappy Kassian ( This line could crash and bang and not put lofty expectations on zach..hes 22! he should be playing a smart physical game and bang it in on the doorstep if able, not thrusted into the 2nd line spot he wasnt given a consistent chance on all year.)

I didnt feel like the defense was bad, and Corrado looked damn good for his 4th NHL game ever.

Ballard should be in though, hes mobile, he hits, he can lead a rush if they trusted him..ever..

too late for that now i guess AV. I don't even really know what we have in Ballard because AV never bothered to see.

AV needs to go, not because of last nights game

because of a long history of failing to adapt his gameplan and assess our team and use its pieces to the best of their abilities.

It's been seasons in the making, ever since our 2nd loss to Chicago we could see the problem.

After the final with Boston, i think most people felt it was a problem

After the quick outing by the Kings, the problem i thought was obvious.

And assuming we dont win the cup this year, It should be crystal clear that its the problem.

It's dragged on so long now, you could put some blame on Gillis.

Though I like Gillis alot and he has done alot of good things for the club...the bad choices list is getting longer.

I really just want a new coaching staff to walk in next year and assess what we have with this club talent wise.

an unbiased new look at everyones skillset, where they could thrive and what situations they shouldnt be put in.

every player should have a Role on the team..shouldnt they?

Lapierre is our best 3C option. Roy and Kesler should play together. Does the 4th line centre even matter? I would just double shift Lapierre or one of the other ones.

Splitting up Roy and Kesler along with burying Lapierre on the 4th line is minimizing the talent of those three players.

What is the use of having plugs on the fourth line. They're not gonna play well when they get lined up with the other teams top line. Mind as well put in your top junior player in that roll. Bring in Jensen and Gaunce. And put them on the fourth line with Kassian.

They can't be any worse than Ebbett, Weise, and Lappiere. And use Lappy on the third line with Hansen and Raymond.

What is the use of having plugs on the fourth line. They're not gonna play well when they get lined up with the other teams top line. Mind as well put in your top junior player in that roll. Bring in Jensen and Gaunce. And put them on the fourth line with Kassian.

They can't be any worse than Ebbett, Weise, and Lappiere. And use Lappy on the third line with Hansen and Raymond.

I agree with the wrong coach style wise argument the last couple of years for sure. But to be fair, AV was the perfect style of coach for the team his first year. The team had little depth and needed to play a defensive style to win games.

Unfortunately though he still seems to think that is the case and along with thepersonnel decision by Gillis and the refusal to use the players brought in properly, this team just flounders as a result.

only had two real issues from AV last night.

1) why ebbett over pinnizotto as a winger ebbett cant play physical, cant play offensively, isnt strong defensively wasnt used on PK what was he in the lineup for if he wasnt playing centre?

2)last year we went into the playoffs with lines that had never played together and we got manhandled by LA because we had no chemistry early in the series.

So what does AV do this year? blenders the lines for the last 6-8games tries all sorts of combinations & then for game1 puts out combinations that NEVER played together. Mind boggling.

AV is a great regular season coach and in our division he will win alot of games. But playoffs is a different story..... teams come in having studied us for a while and know our plays. Teams will adjust and switch things up but AV rarely does, or when its too late. Our PK is still the same passive diamond , our PP break out hasnt changed in years and everyone knows it. Skate to the neutral ice, then drop pass then fire it to the player on the boards. If Luongo lets in a few shaky goals then pull him, dont let him stay in for 7 or 8 . AV seems very scared to make changes ....

Archived