The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Officiating (from an unbiased point of view)

westvandude

So clearly the Canucks fans were pissed off again last night at the seemingly biased officiating. Is there anyone on CDC who can be unbiased and knows the rules well enough to tell us objectively if the officiating last night was as one-sided as it seemed?

If it was, it really pisses me off because you could tell that both teams started sluggishly, and it was the kind of game that would come down to small advantages and one goal. And in my view, the refs give too many unnecessary PPs to the sharks, which gave the edge and got them going to win this crucial game. A game which could have materialized the Sharks' worries now turned into a confidence builder for them.

I could even handle the refs being a little biased towards the home team (chalk it up to home ice advantage for the team that worked harder during regular season)... but not the reverse!

I only really remember the first period bad calls,

Weise getting held up in Sharks offensive zone = no call

Alberts getting to the puck first but not getting the icing

The call on Kassian was game management

Enh, the reffing seemed okay at best. I just wish they would call on the Sedins what they called on Couture. The Sedins take so much abuse and yet get no calls. The moment someone brushed Couture yesterday, an arm went up.

I didn't think it was one sided at all.

However there was one offside non call for sjs which lead to a pretty decent chance. It was so offside the sjs skater nearly overskated the puck because he knew he hadn't cleared the zone. I was infuriated

That was marginal; they certainly let Desjardins being in the middle of the crease on the second SJ goal slide so I'm ok with that being a bit of both.

Calling Kassian for roughing on his follow through hit on Couture when Hannan can get away with a take down on his follow through hit a short while later however is the kind of thing that really makes refs look bad

That was marginal; they certainly let Desjardins being in the middle of the crease on the second SJ goal slide so I'm ok with that being a bit of both.

Calling Kassian for roughing on his follow through hit on Couture when Hannan can get away with a take down on his follow through hit a short while later however is the kind of thing that really makes refs look bad

Lets face it, we look for excuses when things aren't going our way.

That being said, the refs bend the rule book because its the playoffs which stupid compared to other leagues like the NFL.

I miss the days where each team would get atleast 4 power plays a game

That call on Kassian was the only thing that really annoyed me, though I didn't notice the missed icing call. Had a non-canucks fan over watching the game with me so wasn't paying 100% attention. I don't think the reffing in all was biased though as calls were missed both ways.

While the ref'ing was atrocious last night it by no means was biased. There were a couple of huge hits the nucks laid out last nigth that were boarderline hits from behind or boarding penalties and none were called. However the hooking penalty Hamhuis took and the icing waived off on Alberts were just a stupid calls.

Isn't that the problem that a hit is only punishable if the refs think the target is a star? Shouldn't the rules be the rules no matter if you hit a star or a rookie? And why aren't the Sedins considered stars, because people get away with significantly worse than that hit by Kassian in almost every game?

Does the head of officiating review with the officials the game ? I can't believe it's helpful to let the these things go and give the refs the green light to do it again and again. I guess we'll know how Francois St. Laurent & Eric Furlatt were viewed by the league as the play-offs progress, If they're toast they'll be elimanated soon and we'll know the powers were not ahppy. How the Weise interference when he was rugby tackled was not called streches incredibility

Archived