The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Officiating (from an unbiased point of view)

westvandude

I am a huge Canuck fan.

I hate seeing the Canucks get so many penalties.

However, have you guys seen some of the stuff we get away with?

Our guys are starting to figure it out, we have to be jerks, and cheap shot when the refs are not looking.

Dunno if I agree with all these nut shots, but they should be slashing at players legs.

Has there been a fight yet?

The 2 Ref system has been a plague, Fraser has admitted to there being 'make up calls' and game management calls but with 2 referees using these wide discretionary latitude on calls (at the same time), esp in their 'make-up' and borderline calls, during a game, there is no focus on the style and tempo of a game. With one referee if he 'puts his whistle away' that's it, calls stop and both teams can go on the attack physically. Now when one referee 'puts his whistle away' the other referee may not get that same inclination. With the two referees the teams have to juggle two refereeing styles in the same game with no one arbitrator in how a particular game is to be played. The game has moved away from letting the players decide the outcome.

I only really remember the first period bad calls,

Weise getting held up in Sharks offensive zone = no call

Alberts getting to the puck first but not getting the icing

The call on Kassian was game management

The Garrison sequence was so bull, I agree. Woke the whole family up screaming when i realized who was called for a penalty.

As for the Hawks series a couple of years ago, I wouldn't even have cared about the bias against the canucks had they lost game 7 - the canucks got a powerplay when they led 1-0 and there was less than 3 minutes remaining. If you somehow manage to screw that up and then lose in OT.. You probably deserve to lose.

Anyhow - what's done is done. Let's pump up and let Luongo steal a couple of games in San Jose and turn the series around.

They aren`t a dirty team, but the fact that SJ is the least penalized team in the playoffs is bull, especially when there are obvious missed calls every game. The reffing is still not our biggest problem, but it`s not helping.

Just to point out that the Canucks aren't the only team getting the short end of the stick, the Pens rode a garbage penalty call to an OT win this afternoon.

I didn't think much of the call at first glance, but after watching the replay, it's obvious to me that Crosby went down on his own in an attempt to get the call and it worked. Hopefully, the zebras will take note of this and he'll cease to get the borderline calls...

...although I won't be holding my breath on that. it seems to me that the twins are the only "superstars" who don't get the benefit of the doubt from NHL referees.

Just some stats:

SJS PPs: 17

Van PPs: 7

PP - PK time differential: 16:55 mins for SJS. All other series are within 8 mins incl. the MTL/OTT series.

Total PP time in 3 games for SJS: 27:19 mins.

1st Period PPs: 6-2 in favour of SJS.

This doesn't even include non-calls which would skew it even more. Can anyone still argue against this? I need a laugh.

Just some stats:

SJS PPs: 17

Van PPs: 7

PP - PK time differential: 16:55 mins for SJS. All other series are within 8 mins incl. the MTL/OTT series.

Total PP time in 3 games for SJS: 27:19 mins.

1st Period PPs: 6-2 in favour of SJS.

This doesn't even include non-calls which would skew it even more. Can anyone still argue against this? I need a laugh.

No matter what team the canucks ice they will be beaten by the officials..just like umpires in baseball ..they are not giving the blue jays a call...the usa market is what bettman wants to win so that the nhl will grow..he does not want a candaian team to win...look at how the officiating has gone with canadian market teams since he has been in..bettman is to blame for the canucks loss in boston van series and same goes with sharks this year..the reffs are one sided..that made canucks blow up..i say start a brawl and pay the fines.

The Bad News: Assuming the Sharks can beat Game Management and win 1 of the next 4 games, they will continue to be guided by the officials towards a Cup win.

The Good News: the NHL is quickly running out of teams to give the assistance to. In the West it was always between Vancouver, San Jose, St. Louis and Minnesota. Minny isn't close to a believable contender yet and since the Canucks just had a run (even without winning) it makes more sense for San Jose to go on a deep run. The most interesting potential series in the West (if the series continue the way they're looking) would be San Jose vs. St Louis.

I am a huge Canuck fan.

I hate seeing the Canucks get so many penalties.

However, have you guys seen some of the stuff we get away with?

Our guys are starting to figure it out, we have to be jerks, and cheap shot when the refs are not looking.

Dunno if I agree with all these nut shots, but they should be slashing at players legs.

Has there been a fight yet?

I've been watching NHL hockey for more than 50yrs and I allways thought that if a defending player put his hand over an exposed puck while that puck was in his crease, then that would result in a Penalty Shot, or at least a penalty. Such was not the case last night. That play could have changed the balance of the game. Now I can understand that any of the referees on the ice might have honestly missed it, by the way that was meant to be funny, but under video review it was missed entirely. It's bad enough we have to fight biased refs but now the video review guys have jumped on their band wagon. Do refs gets Stanley Cup rings too. Has anyone ever checked that out. With the Canucks future looking a little grim all I can say is "LOOK OUT Leafs". The refs will put an end to any hopes you have of advancing. The series between the Habs and the Sens will ultimately produce a Canadian team advancing so there's not much the NHL can do about that. Maybe it's time for an all Canadian league and let the Americans wallow in their self deluted grandure with their half filled arenas and $20 ticket prices. I'd be ashamed to be a Canuck fan if that's the only way we could win..................

There have been no fights yet and the Sharks would like to keep it that way as their best fighter is now their captain.I will make no attempt to say I can see things in an unbiased manner but have also learned over the years that complaing about these three things is pointless:#1 Refs#2 Puck Luck#3 InjurysSharks would do well to stay out of the box as they did most the regular season. There has been plenty of dirty play and things not called but I cant imagine the refs somehow decide to screw team A in favor of team B.

Bias and conspiracy are not the same thing. I can see Ref A taking an extar long look at player B based on experience but a full on conspiracy seems a bit much dont you think?I do not say the refs are perfect, I do not say some games go a teams way based on the ref crew and the playing style of the teams involved.In the end blaming the refs here I think is a mistake.

Archived