The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Officiating (from an unbiased point of view)

westvandude

Keeping tabs on it right now.

Every series, in 2011, the power play ratio is almost equal, with exception of the Blackhawks Canucks series, were Chicago had 75% more powerplay then we did, by far the biggest difference out of the 8 playoff series going on that season.

I'm gonna keep tab to expose how atrocious the officiating is in this series.

the major problem i had with the game was the announcers. apparently in the US they decided to go with the SJ feed. those are probably some of the worst and horribly biased announcers i've ever heard. constantly getting the wrong names (called weise sedin too many times to remember), stating incorrect facts, and just being completely unprofessional at all times (reacting to a hit, yelling at the ref, being biased fanboys, etc.) it was intollerable. i'll be muting it tonight and listening to the radio feed instead.

I was at game 1 and I thought it was extremely bias the sharks had multiple powerplays in the first two periods alone and we maybe got 1 or 2 I think...there seemed to be no consistency and that's what I didn't like...I def yelled ref you suck a fair bit so from my point of view it seemed weak

the major problem i had with the game was the announcers. apparently in the US they decided to go with the SJ feed. those are probably some of the worst and horribly biased announcers i've ever heard. constantly getting the wrong names (called weise sedin too many times to remember), stating incorrect facts, and just being completely unprofessional at all times (reacting to a hit, yelling at the ref, being biased fanboys, etc.) it was intollerable. i'll be muting it tonight and listening to the radio feed instead.

The thing with officiating these days is that every play has a potential penalty. The officials can support a call or non-call in every instance, thus giving them complete control. There is no continuity, so the only thing we can count on is poor officiating, whether it be for or against us (usually against, who are we kidding).

Still not sure what I would rather have be true: That there is a biased towards certain teams (either from the NHL or just a refs personal vendetta), or that the refs are just unable to do their job properly. Either way is disturbing.

I +1ed you by accident. You're welcome.

I posted about this already in the "SJ announcers go off about the Green men" thread. Yes, the announcers weren't as informed as most would like (read:pretty crap) but really they were no more biased than Shorty or Garrett. Remember, you are listening from a different point of view and seeing things from a much different perspective than they are, it happens.

I don't recall ever hearing the SJ announcers yelling at the refs or stating incorrect facts but they often had trouble identifying players. Every announcer will react to a hit, for or against. The hometown announcers are going to be fanboys. They are commentating about guys they know and talk to everyday to fans who read about and hear from these same players everyday. I found it somewhat refreshing to hear the game from a different view, at least for a bit.

Note: I did try muting them and listening to the 1040 feed. The TV was on a delay, about a minute off of the radio. I had to go back.

they reacted WAY more than other announcers I've listened too. since I live in the US i usually get the away team's feed, and these guys are in the top 5 for worst announcers. completely unprofessional in everything they did. and there were at least 3 incorrect facts they uttered that i just shook my head at and facepalmed (one was saying corrado spent the entire season with the Wolves in the AHL... where he played a total of 3 games with them, and 79 in the OHL; i don't remember the other 2, but they were just as bad or even worse). and yes, the colour guy yelled at the ref, screamed at a hit (didn't even comment) and yelled "watch out!" at a different hit. I swear it was like watching the game with your loud-mouthed friend who was a fan of the opposite team.

There is no way I can be unbiased about a Canucks game so I have been trying to watch some of the games that I don't care who wins (STL/LA , DET/ANA, WSH/NYR etc). I think it is incompetence mixed with a bit of sucking up to the boss by trying to call games in the leagues best interests. There is a definite financial and publicity advantage to the large market American teams having success. The Department of Player Safety seems to feel that if you are a good player or play for a large market team you can do anything you want but if you are a rookie or a 3rd or 4th liner in Phoenix or Columbus you better not touch anyone. Overall I expect the cup in New York, LA, Anaheim or Boston. Outside chance for Pittsburgh because Crosby is the face of the NHL.

In my opinion I saw a few questionable/bordeline calls a few non-calls that could have been made, and obviously some solid calls.

Can't blame the refs though for the loss, we had enough PP's to get the job done.

In my opinion I saw a few questionable/bordeline calls a few non-calls that could have been made, and obviously some solid calls.

Can't blame the refs though for the loss, we had enough PP's to get the job done.

There is no way I can be unbiased about a Canucks game so I have been trying to watch some of the games that I don't care who wins (STL/LA , DET/ANA, WSH/NYR etc). I think it is incompetence mixed with a bit of sucking up to the boss by trying to call games in the leagues best interests. There is a definite financial and publicity advantage to the large market American teams having success. The Department of Player Safety seems to feel that if you are a good player or play for a large market team you can do anything you want but if you are a rookie or a 3rd or 4th liner in Phoenix or Columbus you better not touch anyone. Overall I expect the cup in New York, LA, Anaheim or Boston. Outside chance for Pittsburgh because Crosby is the face of the NHL.

Archived