The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How much weight will the next game carry on your view of the team?

Canuckler87

For me, it will be huge. If ever there was a must win game it's tommorow. We've already lost the first game at home, and going into the shark tank down 0-2 in the series means we are basically done. The sharks have one of the best home records in the NHL so it's a stretch to win both those games to tie it up that way. Now if we crap the bed tommorow, and i mean that we generate ZERO offense and only play 20 minutes or half the game again.. for me, that shows us big changes are needed.

I really hope we win tommorow. But if we don't, it shows that we lack the resolve and determination with this current group to get it done when it matters most. The season hinges on tommorows game, and it's these types of games where the true character of the team is revealed. If we win.. then i strongly believe we will build off it and win the series. If we don't, then seasons basically over and it's two straight first round exits. Major changes need to be made. So my question for you guys is, how much weight in terms of judging our team are you guys putting into tommorows game? For me, it's going to reveal what our team is really made of.

I think tomorrow is a must win game for sure but lets say hypothetically we lose this series do we blow up in the off season or make some moves and try to make another cup run. Don't get me wrong i want to see the nucks win this series but i sense some major changes coming if they don't

I don't think the series is over if we don't win tomorrow, but they'll be in big trouble.

If we are eliminated in this round. AV needs to go (Among other changes)

I don't put any weight into tomorrows game.

We're 2-9 in our last 11 in the playoffs. This team is done. Sedins and Kesler don't carry us anymore and we're not built in a way to grind out wins. We have to out-skill teams and we don't have the skill anymore. Rebuild time. I just hope we don't turn into Calgary and hang onto our stars until they have no value because of one playoff run.

I think the next game will have a huge affect on the way the team is viewed. Not saying we have to win but if the team comes out and only plays 20 minutes again then there will be lots of skeptics. However if we lose in a close hard fought battle where the team showed up to play and played well then who cares if were down 2-0. They just need a spark.

I stood behind this team and coaches when they lost the boston series because i firmly believe if we were as healthy as boston was we would have beat them. The question became why were we so banged up? We werent durable enough? we played an extra 3 really tough and intense games against the hawks that never sholuld have been played.

Last year when LA knocked us out you could really see it coming. During the last half of the season when they were playing so weak i heard at least three canucks mention the team was mentally fatigued. Okay, giving them the benefit of the doubt one more time.

This year is different. They are in a shortened season and are healthy. There are no excuses especially if they go out in the first round.

To answer the OPs original question......yes it will significantly impact my view of this team starting with AV and the sedins. If they lose tomorow night then i think its time to visit the armchair gm section

I don't think the series is over even if we lose on Friday - I remember round 1 of the playoffs in 1994 - Canucks were down 3-1 vs. the Flames, and came back and won the series and ended up going to game 7 of the SCF. A series is not over until it's over.

HOWEVER, this team's lack of heart has me really concerned. I do not think the Sedin's are getting "past their prime"..freakin' Salanne and Jagr scored as 41 year olds...and if none of you guys want these "grandfathers" on your team, then you're crazy. I do not think our "core" is past our prime...however, we lack heart. Where is the guy who is looked upon to carry the team on his shoulders? Arguably we have not had that captain in Vancity since Linden -

If this team loses this round to the sharks...then we need to seriously assess the leadership of this group. Start drafting solid North American guys.....who leave it all on the ice, and who do not say "well next game we will play better"...i'm sick of that sh$@

I say it's over if we go down 0-3. As seen before, many teams have come back from a 0-2. Obvious examples are the Goons in 2011. Aside from the SCF, in their opening series against Habs (a similar 3rd vs 6th seed), Bruins lost both home games to start the series 0-2, then won it in 7 games.

And I don't much care for all these regular season stats people keep throwing around. Regular season is and made to be a different animal. Teams don't play with the same intensity, officiating is different, and players on the teams are a lot of times different as well. So sure Sharks have played well on home ice in regular season, but that doesn't mean much in the playoffs.

It's been a while since the Canucks pulled a 3-1 rally (last was St. Louis '03, and of course '94 - but don't forget we did the same to the Jets 2 years before in '92.). Let's have one of those again.

It's the perfect formula, to lose the opener at home, setting up a "must win" game 2. Then go down to San Jose and drop both games, setting up a real "must win" in game 5 at home. Game 6 you're bound to get lucky and win 1 road game in a series, and that sets up a game 7 on home ice and a chance to finish the series 3-1 at home.

Considering SJ has one of the best home records this year and a vezina candidate goalie, if we dont win game two it will be all but over. We need to wint he enxt game and go into SJ with the momentum on our side and wine game 3 to kill the crowd or else we are toast.

Considering SJ has one of the best home records this year and a vezina candidate goalie, if we dont win game two it will be all but over. We need to wint he enxt game and go into SJ with the momentum on our side and wine game 3 to kill the crowd or else we are toast.

my view is already made, the team is not going to make it, and they won't with coach V. Every player Gillis has brought in (Booth, Ballard, Roy) seems like they can't get going here after excelling on other teams, and our top players can't keep their top play going when faced with adversity, the writing is on the wall.

sure people may say "what about the 2011 stanley cup run? We were only one game away". Well, we were also one goal away from being a presidents trophy upset in the 1st round, like they were the year after. The only reason they got as far as they did is because they were the best team on paper, and won despite the coaching staff not because of it.

if we lose to SJ, then that will be 3 series in a row we've been upset as the higher seed, and frankly that an embarressing stat for this franchize.

If there is a team we can comeback from a 0-2 deficit it's the shark. They proved in the past to choke under pressure or self destruct in the playoff.

But even a close or overtime win when the Sharks played as good or better then us is not going to cut it. The shark will go home with a mindset that they've done their work, they took home ice advantage.

That's why i'm expecting a statement game 4-1, 5-2 win. With 2 goals each from our first 2 line.

Talent means squat if unable to raise the emotional level!

Back in '94 we lacked the talent of this year’s team yet the 94 Canucks had heart and a will to win.

If the '13 Canucks actually want to win a game they can be world beaters, the game vs Chicago the other night proves it.

Seems to be far easier to get motivated as the underdog......

Investing emotionally in this team is dangerous indeed. I get so frustrated knowing the Canucks can play with flair and determination and then watch a stinker like last night.

I keep doing my part as a fan. Buy gear, go to a few games every year; which isn't easy nor cheap living a mere 450km from the "Rog".

I haven't given up yet because I know they actually have the talent to do damage, I just get confused by the on ice product at times.

I'm no coach but all the line juggling has to be frustrating for the players.

Should we crap the bed again this year I'm all for a change to our so called core & coaching.

I think AV is a good coach but have my doubts he can get the team to the emotional level they need to be at the right time.

In games that really matter we come out flat more often than not, with the talent available on this team I find it unacceptable.

When will we start tuning the team out? A few chinks in the armour are starting to show, few seat empty, bars not packed etc.

I fear the worst for this squad.....

Archived