The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is it always OUR offence that evaporates?

Canuckler87

There's been reluctance to bolster up our second line over the past couple years, waiting on guys like Raymond or placing Higgins in/out the second is just beating at a dead horse. Sure those guys can contribute once in a while but they just aren't top 6, unless they're playing with a prime player which sadly no top 6 looks in their prime on this team. Kesler has to be hurt and Roy has been good but he's not the type to score you goals when the Sedins or the other heroes (ie - Burrows) aren't performing.

Trying a new guy with the Sedins every once in a while is getting a little old and rotating Higgins/Raymond/Hansen, etc through the second just seems redundant. Kassian shows some flashes of brilliance but he's just not quite mature enough YET to be a consistent top 6, he hasn't been able to replace Hodgson (Not getting into that), but in time he will.

I know AV doesn't juggle like crazy like he did before, which was irritating, but I think he's only really discovered Sedins and Burr as a go-to combo. I can't even name off a second line that stuck and maybe you don't need to always have the same second line, but it's always tinkered with, and it's because nothing clicks for very long.

That's why we are seeing what we are seeing offensively, at least I think.

The reason our scoring dries up is because our team is built for the regular season. The officials call it differently, rewarding toughness and effort, over finesse. Please don't argue that the refs are not an issue, it's clear as day.

Our offense has evaporated cuz Ehrhoff was injured in the Boston series and he has never returned.

Without Ehrhoff, we have become extremely predictable with just dump and chase for every play.

We didn't have one guy in the regular season on pace for 25 goals.

Daniel and Kesler need to be our scorers. Without them shooting the puck more and picking their targets, we have a team of passers.

We have plenty of guys who will score gritty goals, like Higgins, Kassian, Burrows and Hansen, but no true sniper or game-changer right now, and that's the problem. This team has traded skill for grit, and by losing true shooters like Hodgson, Ehrhoff and Samuelsson, only to be replaced by Garrison, Roy and Booth, we trade shooting ability for toughness and playmaking.

So we lose Ehrhoff...this produces a glaring hole in our offense from the backend...Gillis goes out and gets Garrison to rectify the problem...and we still complain?

And with all our 2nd line injury woes we still managed to outscore our current opponent during the regular season. I'll say it again...we have the offensive skillset...something gets into their brains like a virus come playoff time. If you ask me, the biggest mistake that Aquilini has made is firing Dr. Bruno Demichelis...he might have actually been an asset to help coach these guys through this blockade they throw up in the post-season.

Weren't shots on goal a problem for the Canucks, I mean especially the top two lines? I would try Hansen with the Sedins, he looked hungry and driven in Game 1. I think if the Canucks want it bad enough, they will find a way to score, however that being said I also agree there is way too much money tied up in un-used assets. This will be a big summer for Mike Gillis. He has to deal with Ballard and Luongo, and also has to draft well enough to re-stock the farm team with good prospects.

Honestly i think it's 2 things.

We are missing an offensive dman (ehrhoff)

We are missing a legitimate goal scorer

The current roster has a bunch of grinders who chip in here and there but no one is a natural goal scorer. The backend is mostly a bunch of twoway dman who can pass and shoot but not take charge and quarterback.

With the natural goal scorer comment i know some people will say, hey we got D Sedin (20-30 and one 40 goal season)

Nah, i wouldn't consider him a natural goal scorer. He hardly shoots the puck and he doesn't "snipe"

Most of his goals are tap ins from hank or burr.

Let's be honest. The cycle game from the sedin only works so well when somebody actually shoots the puck at the end.

Deadline GM MG should of added a goal scorer and another dman. We can outhit teams all we want but when we can't establish any in zone pressure or good shots. Nux are doomed

Honestly i think it's 2 things.

We are missing an offensive dman (ehrhoff)

We are missing a legitimate goal scorer

The current roster has a bunch of grinders who chip in here and there but no one is a natural goal scorer. The backend is mostly a bunch of twoway dman who can pass and shoot but not take charge and quarterback.

With the natural goal scorer comment i know some people will say, hey we got D Sedin (20-30 and one 40 goal season)

Nah, i wouldn't consider him a natural goal scorer. He hardly shoots the puck and he doesn't "snipe"

Most of his goals are tap ins from hank or burr.

Let's be honest. The cycle game from the sedin only works so well when somebody actually shoots the puck at the end.

Deadline GM MG should of added a goal scorer and another dman. We can outhit teams all we want but when we can't establish any in zone pressure or good shots. Nux are doomed

So we lose Ehrhoff...this produces a glaring hole in our offense from the backend...Gillis goes out and gets Garrison to rectify the problem...and we still complain?

"I don't think the Hawks have that anymore and could lose to either the Kings or Blues. IMHO if you want a look at the future of NHL hockey check out the roster of Ottawa. They have it right and the Blues are not far behind. The Canucks aren't there yet but they have some size coming."

Yes indeed. I tipped Ottawa last year and they fell short but it was obvious they were building in the right direction. As for the Blues, while not as impressed with them when they played us, I thought they played an epic game against LA the other night. Their team was physical, ok we expected that but what really impressed me was their o/a chemistry/understanding. No constantly dumping the puck for them, they played out of almost every situation with crisp accurate passing..........against a team like LA that was most impressive.

I would have to agree with that, our forwards often have a one and done mentality and our D are more concerned about getting back to our end of the rink than keeping a puck in the zone. It's sad to say, but I miss the days of guys like Sopel and Acoin (and Crawford) that could keep the puck in the other end.

Archived