Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Why is it always OUR offence that evaporates?

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#61 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

Some people here though I had a ridiculous idea when I talk about trading with the Flames to get Cammalleri, but I still think if we would find a way to get him without touching our actual core we wouldn't had that problem no more really having a shooter like him on our 2nd line.

With Montréal he scored 16 goals got 29pts in 26 games, we need players who can score goals in playoffs games. It was the year to get him and don't care about the next year salary cap beeing able to buyout two player "for free" if we can't free up cap space trading guys for low pick.

We have more than we think in common with ''Le Canadien de Montréal''

Both have logo shapped in ''C''

Canadien and Canucks mean the samething

We both hate the Boston Bruins now

Alain Vigneault coached both teams

Rogers Arena, Centre Bell, it's phones company

We are blue white and green they are blue white and red

Our #1 goalie is from Qc, their #1 goalie is from BC

But we have one important thing different and I hope it will change after the next season, we don't have Stanley Cup banner

#62 24K PureCool

24K PureCool

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

The easiest thing to do right now is to tell the sedins (especially Daniel) to just shoot the puck instead of looking for a pass. Look at last game, Daniel got a lot of scoring chances if he just shoot the puck instead of waiting for whatever he was waiting for.

#63 maze1967

maze1967

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Why doesn't anyone ever mention splitting the sedins on even strength. Seems like everyone in playoffs has caught on to the cycle. I agree they have difficulty when they are getting pounded. Each sedin has won the scoring race when the other brother was out most of the season. Wouldn't it give us a lot more options. Seems to me both brothers have seemed to lose a step in there play and speed.

#64 maze1967

maze1967

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

How does not signing torres look now? I thought after watching the Chicago game.."THEY ARE BACK"....then I had to watch the next 2 games

#65 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

So explain the offensive collapses of the previous two seasons??

4.2 -Booth
5.whatever for ever-Luongo
4.2 -Ballard

20 million buys a lot of offense and defense.

#66 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

Defense pin both Sedins,Large checking center manhandles Burrows.

#67 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

Part of the issue is talent. The Canuck have a lot of money tied up in goal-tending and have put of lot of money into signing and re-signing the defence.

At the forward position the Canucks have relied heavily on the Sedins and Kelser (and Burrows) over the last few years and MG has not been able to add anything significant to the foward position. As the Sedins and Burrows are beginning to experience age-related decline and Kesler cannot seem to stay (or get) healthy, there is not much offensive talent.

The only solid offensive talent MG has drafted since being hired was Hodgson and he was traded for Kassian who, so far, has not developed into a top 6 offensive talent. Schroeder has not developed to the point of playing at the NHL level. Higgens is excellent as a 3rd liner who can also play PK, but if he is in your top 6 then things are thin. The same applies to Hansen. Raymond has gone downhill in the past two years, Malhotra is gone, Ebbet is not a legitimate NHL player, and Lappy is a good 4th liner, but is he is playing 3rd line centre than your team is thin. Pinnizotto is not NHL quality and neither is Sestito. Weiss is a good 4th liner but no more. Marco Sturm was a complete washout. The big forward signing -- David Booth -- has been completely useless due to injury but did not look good even when healthy this year.

Bottom line: Let's hope the Sedins find some energy and that Kesler gets healthy. And put Roy and Higgins back together, preferably with Kelser, who is better on the wing than at centre.

Edited by JamesB, 02 May 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#68 JelloIce

JelloIce

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

The interesting thing that happened last game was rather than shutting down the Sedins by closing the ice and smothering them with defencemen......the Sharks gave them ALL the ice and just smothered ganged up wherever the puck was.

And somehow it worked. :sadno:

#69 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

Unfortunately with the departure of Coho and Malholtra and the rental of Roy playing with Kes,line three has center issues and line 2 has winger issues.
A dependable center was brought in at trade deadline day but a replacement for Booth was never acquired and neither was a proficient puck moving ,offensive d man.

Failure to trade Luo and the Booth Ballard deals are Gillis' legacy to undermanned,undertalented underachievement.

#70 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

Not skilled enough

#71 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,666 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Shame Booth can't make it back in time, the one player with an actual drive to the net...

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#72 flat land fish

flat land fish

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:26 PM

at times our game is too much counterstrike or waiting for our opponent to make a mistake. we need to force the issue more so we start to draw more penalties and play more in the middle of the ice to pressure our opponent. I wouldn't mind AV spotting in Kes with the twins during even strength situations when we're making a push.

#73 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

Shame Booth can't make it back in time, the one player with an actual drive to the net...

This... i think the driving to the net and not scared of getting hacked and whacked is one of their biggest problems.

#74 Drakrami

Drakrami

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

offence evaporates becuase gillis hasn't addressed the glaring issue since 2011 SFC, the lack of nhl calibre goal scorers.
honestly which group of forwards would you rather have, the sharks or ours?

Ours.

I am starting to think the problem really is the coach. Considering we are benching Ballard and still playing Ebbett.

#75 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

Blame the Sedins, they are quite simply not getting it done. It was absolutely pitiful watching Daniel in particular refuse to shoot in prime shooting locations ALL THROUGHOUT THE GAME. So it's not like they learned from it, they kept it up the whole game.

Somebody needs to drill it into their heads that how pretty the goal is does not matter. They don't get it, they want to set up an open net goal after 5 or 6 passes. Guess what boys? That doesn't work against playoff teams.

SHOOT THE PUCK.
Posted Image

#76 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Unfortunately with the departure of Coho and Malholtra and the rental of Roy playing with Kes,line three has center issues and line 2 has winger issues.
A dependable center was brought in at trade deadline day but a replacement for Booth was never acquired and neither was a proficient puck moving ,offensive d man.

Failure to trade Luo and the Booth Ballard deals are Gillis' legacy to undermanned,undertalented underachievement.

Failure to trade Luo? I'm sorry but isn't Schneider injured? Not trading Luongo turned out to be a wonderful decision.
Posted Image

#77 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

Ours.

I am starting to think the problem really is the coach. Considering we are benching Ballard and still playing Ebbett.

Do you honestly think that switching Ballard and Ebbett would have changed the outcome of the game last night?

#78 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,666 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Do you honestly think that switching Ballard and Ebbett would have changed the outcome of the game last night?

It would have helped, Ebbett's been near useless and Ballard is much faster.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#79 ABNuck

ABNuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:14 PM

offence evaporates becuase gillis hasn't addressed the glaring issue since 2011 SFC, the lack of nhl calibre goal scorers.
honestly which group of forwards would you rather have, the sharks or ours?

We have led or been close to the top in offense for the past several years...and certainly more offense than the Sharks...so this statement you made is untrue. If offense is the key to this problem (as the OP suggests and judging by your comment you agree) then I would rather have our forwards...since the stats support the fact that they score more often. Please don't make your comeback have something to do with "well stats don't mean much" or something of that nature. Stats mean EVERYTHING...as in the team that scores more goals in a game WINS...just a stat though. The Canucks problem is as the title suggests...our offense "evaporates" for some reason in the playoffs. Since we have shown by the stats that we CAN in fact score goals (and bunches of them) the problem must lie elsewhere...we should probably look inside their skulls (between the ears)...I fully believe it's psychological. We in fact beat ourselves in these games.

#80 ABNuck

ABNuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

Marleau Thornton couture burns pavelski havlat > Sedins Burrows Kesler Roy higgins/raymond

2 Art Ross, 1 Hart and 1 Selke say different. B2B President's trophies say different. Tell me what awards or stats the Sharks have from their players that support your argument.

#81 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

4.2 -Booth
5.whatever for ever-Luongo
4.2 -Ballard

20 million buys a lot of offense and defense.

From where?

Nobody to sign, nobody to trade for with our assets.

2 Art Ross, 1 Hart and 1 Selke say different. B2B President's trophies say different. Tell me what awards or stats the Sharks have from their players that support your argument.

Puh-lease, Kippersoff has like 2 Vezinas or something? He must be better than Luongo then, right?

Sure, our players have racked up some hardware, who gives a crap? Sharks played better than us last night and they will continue to do so until the Sedins wake up and finally lead this team. Wanna know what's sad about those stats? In 2 seasons we had the player with the most points in the NHL and still couldn't score goals. That's more sad than not winning anything don't cha think?

Edited by Django, 02 May 2013 - 10:22 PM.

Posted Image

#82 kylecanuck

kylecanuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:27 PM

We are all seeing the same problems we have seen the same old problems we've been seeing for years now. All regular season we won and things looked good though there was something missing.

Kassian was lighting it up at the beginning of the season, this kid was a lock and the future!!! Then all of a sudden he was demoted off of the sedins line and faded away, bad play or lack of quality line mates? Why did this happen???

Sedins picked up there play a week or so after his demotion, was it because burrows was back or did they just hit game shape? If kassian was still there at this point would this season and series be a different story? Would kassian be a big huge potential kid getting fourth/third time minutes? Or would he be a first line sticking up for the Sedins game changing power forward?

Ballard might not be a fit on our deffence, but he is a capable player and a hell of a better option than Weis/Sesstito on the fourth line. Why wasn't this utilized and used rather than spending the season in the doghouse watching. What got him in the doghouse in the first place?

I'm seeing this as coaching failure for not even attempting these options past the first two weeks of a screwed up season. AV is a joke and the flaw in the Jen of a franchise. From constant questionable coaching decisions, to a running joke of line combinations and favourism to a obvious point.

I love my Canucks and will never stop cheering for them. I still believe we can take the sharks and move on to our next challenge. I do not believe AV will make any sensible or wise choices past defending what isn't there....

The children, wont someone please think of the children!!!

#83 Airjasper

Airjasper

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:30 PM

Everybody take a deep breath and remind yourself that it has only been one game.

The defending champs are down 2-0 already. It's not that bad.

#84 ABNuck

ABNuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

From where?

Nobody to sign, nobody to trade for with our assets.

Puh-lease, Kippersoff has like 2 Vezinas or something? He must be better than Luongo then, right?

Sure, our players have racked up some hardware, who gives a crap? Sharks played better than us last night and they will continue to do so until the Sedins wake up and finally lead this team. Wanna know what's sad about those stats? In 2 seasons we had the player with the most points in the NHL and still couldn't score goals. That's more sad than not winning anything don't cha think?

I'm really not sure how to argue this point with you, it seems your logic has left the building. Are you saying that all we get is assists and no goals? Again, not sure how to respond other than to say put the pipe down, grab a cold shower and come back after you've given your head a thorough shaking. We LEAD or are close to the TOP in offense (Hockey 101: offense = goals scored) in the entire NHL...yet as I stated, we seem to dry up in the playoffs. The problem IS NOT that we CAN'T score...it's that we DON'T score. BIG DIFFERENCE...FRACKING HUGE DIFFERENCE. As I stated it is psychological...something in our offensive player's minds leads them to beat themselves...THAT is what we need to figure out...we have the skills.

#85 AngNMGN99

AngNMGN99

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

Too predictable, not enough finishing skills! Not enough poise

#86 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,733 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

Sedin lack the intensity required in the playoffs. Same as Thornton and Marleau.

Their playoff numbers pretty much always drop in the playoffs while other players can elevate their play.

#87 ABNuck

ABNuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

If signing offensively skilled players is the solution...would you rather have Hall, Eberle, Yakupov etc? These guys seem to be highly skilled hockey players...and I'm guessing by now, highly skilled golfers as well.

#88 falcon45ca

falcon45ca

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

The Sharks are taking a page out of Boston's playbook from the 2011 Finals, they're plugging up the shooting lanes & collapsing around the goaltender. The idea is "let them pass around the outside all they want, all we'll give them are sharp-angle shots", & the strategy worked really well in Gam1 cuz' Niemi has been stellar this year & should win the Vezina.

IMO the Canucks should re-unite Kes, Higgins & Roy (which it appears they have), put Burr back with the Twins (more finish than Kassian, & only a little less grit) & f*in' rock it.

#89 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

Fire AV
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#90 CanadianRugby

CanadianRugby

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

That's what happens when you have a defenisve style coach, who is afraid of taking chances, which shouldn't be the case when you have 2 of the best goalies behind you, just bad coaching.

This is the same coach when we had the #1 offence in the league. So your argument is invalid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.