#1 westvandude

westvandude

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:26 PM

POPULAR

I used to be one of those guys that was proud of how upset I would get after each Canucks loss in playoffs, and how depressed I would get when they lost the series.... Then I realized the power of self-brainwashing, and being realistically positive in any situation.

For me, there is no point to be overly negative. I think we're definitely gonna win this series if/when the team starts playing to their potential (last seen against Hawks a week or 2 ago) regardless of who's in the net and regardless of how good Sharks and Niemi play. (and no I wouldn't say the same thing if we were playing the Hawks... we'd need some luck as well as playing to full potential)

I'm excited to see if they can get to that level in game 2 or even 3. If we go down 0-3, then I'll start preparing for a 1st round exit.

And if they lose, then I fully expect some major changes to follow in the off-season, so I'll be excited to see what happens. Not to mention all the other exciting and entertaining match ups the remainder of this playoffs... and the outcome of the several hockey pools I'm in.

So to conclude, don't get upset and depressed. There's nothing cool about being the grumpy "I told you so" person that no one wants to hang out with. Make it a win-win situation where you'd be excited for something regardless of the outcome.

PS this is different than being unrealistically positive (the "I Believe" people) cuz it's not a win-win as you still stand to get very upset/depressed if/when Canucks lose.

#2 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:30 PM

You're a good guy.

These are the fans I'm talking about when I say we don't deserve disappointment like this.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#3 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,530 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

If we lose and Gillis doesn't fire AV on the spot, Gillis needs to go with him.

PuJi.jpg

#4 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

I was a big MG fan but I agree.
If MG is too stupid to realize AV needs to go, MG should go with him

#5 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

Regardless if we lose first round again both need to go the team would explode because of the lack to win the cup in 4 years that they should have

#6 hadoden345

hadoden345

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

I too used to get depressed when the nucks lost a game, even worse if a playoff game. I just tell my self its only a game.....and just avoid anything hockey till next game.

#7 westvandude

westvandude

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

I too used to get depressed when the nucks lost a game, even worse if a playoff game. I just tell my self its only a game.....and just avoid anything hockey till next game.

Haha yes. I try to avoid as well. I listened to my normal music instead of Team 1040 on the drive to work and actually avoided any hockey related stuff for a while... but couldn't resist it anymore! I think it's better to be so comfortable with your position (i.e. the "win-win") that you don't have to avoid any hockey stuff to not have a bad day after a loss.

I'm honestly very excited for the game tomorrow. As well as the games today. Wanna see if my load-up-on-capitals strategy pays off in my hockey pool. Go Ovi!

#8 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

What's this!? A fan who's positive!? Arrest this man immediately!!

:P

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#9 zoner.

zoner.

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

I get so wrapped up in the games that I'm considering just recording them, finding out the score, then watching if they win/it's a good game. Luckily the last few games I've had a friend over to watch, so we just went off and played video games or watched a movie. :frantic:
Posted Image

#10 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,959 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

I used to be one of those guys that was proud of how upset I would get after each Canucks loss in playoffs, and how depressed I would get when they lost the series.... Then I realized the power of self-brainwashing, and being realistically positive in any situation.

For me, there is no point to be overly negative. I think we're definitely gonna win this series if/when the team starts playing to their potential (last seen against Hawks a week or 2 ago) regardless of who's in the net and regardless of how good Sharks and Niemi play. (and no I wouldn't say the same thing if we were playing the Hawks... we'd need some luck as well as playing to full potential)

I'm excited to see if they can get to that level in game 2 or even 3. If we go down 0-3, then I'll start preparing for a 1st round exit.

And if they lose, then I fully expect some major changes to follow in the off-season, so I'll be excited to see what happens. Not to mention all the other exciting and entertaining match ups the remainder of this playoffs... and the outcome of the several hockey pools I'm in.

So to conclude, don't get upset and depressed. There's nothing cool about being the grumpy "I told you so" person that no one wants to hang out with. Make it a win-win situation where you'd be excited for something regardless of the outcome.

PS this is different than being unrealistically positive (the "I Believe" people) cuz it's not a win-win as you still stand to get very upset/depressed if/when Canucks lose.

I'm with ya bro.

When they loss, i am in a bad bood. BUt why? it's just a game. I'm mad at the gf, my mom, just a an angry person in general. Sometimes.

But very nice post. At least your not coming to cdc right after and ranting about how everyone should be fired.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#11 ZephyrsSong

ZephyrsSong

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'm just thankful that there was hockey this year and that we didn't have to talk about the lockout stuff.

Good post, though, OP.

#12 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Even if they Canucks lose, I'll be really disappointed but I also have my own goals and my own life to be excited for. People that are so obsessed with the Canucks that they get depressed and angry for a long time after a loss need to get their life together. Find your own hobbies and goals. Nothing wrong with being pissed when the Canucks lose, but it's important to have a balance in your life and not be a loser who lives his life through the team. Hopefully we won't be eliminated, but even if it happens at least I can go out and enjoy the sun some more, and of course watch other teams.

#13 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

You know it's a playoff loss when you see an abundance of

deeply philosophical threads.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#14 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,654 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

make it win-win for yourself....bet on the sharks, if they lose you win, if they win, you win! :frantic:

You can view all of my CDC artwork in this thread:

http://forum.canucks...f-toni-zamboni/

Follow me on Twitter:  @Toni_Zamboni

#15 Henrik Kesler

Henrik Kesler

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

I don't get too extremely upset, but the loss in the Cup Finals in 2011 was crushing. I actually cried a little bit knowing we went all the way to come up one win short of the promised land.

Last year was rough too to be eliminated so quickly, but I didn't get upset about it because I honestly didn't expect much seeing how poorly the team had played going into the playoffs.

I was a bit disappointed after last nights loss, but I know there is a lot of hockey yet to be played and this series is far from over. A win tomorrow and the series is right back to evens. This team can get past the Sharks, they just need to play more than a good 20 minutes.

#16 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

make it win-win for yourself....bet on the sharks, if they lose you win, if they win, you win! :frantic:

I did that with team Canada in the Olympics, yes I bet against Canada.

Then when we won I didn't pay the sucker anyway, and he didn't care cause he was so happy they won

Pretty seeky stuff on my part.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#17 DSVII

DSVII

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

Optimism? Have an upvote.

It also helps that i've drafted no Canucks players in my Playoff pool, so financially and morally, it is a win-win :)

"The Canucks, are like North America, many of us have it so much better than others around the world or NHL, and we don't properly appreciate what we have."

"If Canucks fans hate Mason Raymond so bad, then you should have said something before the trade deadline! Because the Leafs would have totally taken him. I mean, can he score? Can he play a HINT of defense? WE'LL TAKE HIM! WE'LL TAKE TWO!"

- Steve Dangle (Leafs Fan Reaction - youtube)

#18 PENGUINScanFLY

PENGUINScanFLY

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

I posted this somewhere else but I feel people need to be reminded of this..

#19 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,861 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

...qualifying the OP's point.

#20 Kosmo Kramer

Kosmo Kramer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

I hear ya. It is whatever it's gonna be.
All we can do is enjoy the rollercoaster,
I like our players, watching them joke around and the behind the scenes.
They seem like such good and funny guys and a great group of friends, who have also been racking up some hardware.

I'd love nothing more than to see our core win the cup.
but if not I still enjoy reading about who we could draft and following the prospects and the prospect camp is always just around the bend.

At least we have a rich organization in a beautiful city and we should appreciate what we do have.

Edited by Karnage, 02 May 2013 - 09:55 PM.

#21 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

''the power of self brain-washing''

LMAO. That was great.

+1
Posted Image

#22 westvandude

westvandude

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTkHT6UHqkI

hahaha loved it! I'm def using that one in the future ;)

#23 apollo

apollo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

LOOOOL bryzs quotes are priceless

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#24 cbdoubleu

cbdoubleu

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

There's nothing cool about being the grumpy "I told you so" person that no one wants to hang out with. Make it a win-win situation where you'd be excited for something regardless of the outcome.

So many people around work that never mentioned the Canucks all year. Probably watched 2.5 games all season, and suddenly now they're all chirping up about how the Canucks will lose, that they haven't liked what they've seen all year. Fire the coach. The usually banal monologue. And this was before game 1, mind you.

You can't win over those people. The Canucks win round 1, so what, they'll lose the next one. They'll never win the big game.

They'd rather be right than invest in entertaining the thought of what-if.

I know that's why I watch. The Canucks play a good brand of hockey, and there's always a chance until it's over. You have to live for those moments when you're down and almost out. Sometimes miracles happen. And those moments stay with you a lot longer than the disappointment of a loss.

Burrows in overtime. Courtnall coming down the wing launching a rocket. Adams or Bieksa sending us to the final. The White Towel. The Save. Bure in Game 7. Game 6 of the '94 final. Linden in game 7. I just sit and wait for the next one.

#25 youngdad

youngdad

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for this. I agree. I worry about some people who get too personal about it all. I fear someone is going to harm themselves or others based on what the Canucks do! (See the 'Do you like the Canucks' thread).
Its a great team in a great market. As long as there is hockey, there will be the Canucks.

#26 youngdad

youngdad

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

So many people around work that never mentioned the Canucks all year. Probably watched 2.5 games all season, and suddenly now they're all chirping up about how the Canucks will lose, that they haven't liked what they've seen all year. Fire the coach. The usually banal monologue. And this was before game 1, mind you.

You can't win over those people. The Canucks win round 1, so what, they'll lose the next one. They'll never win the big game.

They'd rather be right than invest in entertaining the thought of what-if.

I know that's why I watch. The Canucks play a good brand of hockey, and there's always a chance until it's over. You have to live for those moments when you're down and almost out. Sometimes miracles happen. And those moments stay with you a lot longer than the disappointment of a loss.

Burrows in overtime. Courtnall coming down the wing launching a rocket. Adams or Bieksa sending us to the final. The White Towel. The Save. Bure in Game 7. Game 6 of the '94 final. Linden in game 7. I just sit and wait for the next one.

THANK YOU!! Someone else who gets it! Seems to be only a few of us with the same maturity level on these boards! If you are interested, see the 'Do you like the Canucks?' thread.

#27 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:28 AM

While I agree, we have watched a good new owner hire an inexperienced gm, who in turn retained a previous gms coach run this team in a manner that leaves way too many question marks. Bring in a gm with experience, have them hire their coach and go at it that way... Too much complacenc.
I Love Lamp...

#28 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

Whatever happens, happens. I just want a game that's called fair, win or lose. I'm soooooo tired of officiating being a story line (deservedly so).

#29 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

Sometimes its not that the coach is bad, its just that the message has gotten stale.

Look at Carlyle/Boudreau. 'Nuff said.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#30 No_More_Larchide

No_More_Larchide

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:46 AM

I used to be the "guy who got depressed after every loss" and wore it like a badge, as if it made me more of a fan than someone else. But that was when I was 14-18. I am still young (25) but I know now exactly what my dad told me while growing up with my canucks heart on my sleeve, its just a game.

My father is one of the biggest Canuck fans I know, but he brushes off losses as just that, a loss. The world hasnt ended, there is always next game, etc.
Larchide is spelled wrong on purpose....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.