The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Make It A Win-Win For Yourselves

westvandude

I used to be one of those guys that was proud of how upset I would get after each Canucks loss in playoffs, and how depressed I would get when they lost the series.... Then I realized the power of self-brainwashing, and being realistically positive in any situation.

For me, there is no point to be overly negative. I think we're definitely gonna win this series if/when the team starts playing to their potential (last seen against Hawks a week or 2 ago) regardless of who's in the net and regardless of how good Sharks and Niemi play. (and no I wouldn't say the same thing if we were playing the Hawks... we'd need some luck as well as playing to full potential)

I'm excited to see if they can get to that level in game 2 or even 3. If we go down 0-3, then I'll start preparing for a 1st round exit.

And if they lose, then I fully expect some major changes to follow in the off-season, so I'll be excited to see what happens. Not to mention all the other exciting and entertaining match ups the remainder of this playoffs... and the outcome of the several hockey pools I'm in.

So to conclude, don't get upset and depressed. There's nothing cool about being the grumpy "I told you so" person that no one wants to hang out with. Make it a win-win situation where you'd be excited for something regardless of the outcome.

PS this is different than being unrealistically positive (the "I Believe" people) cuz it's not a win-win as you still stand to get very upset/depressed if/when Canucks lose.

I get so wrapped up in the games that I'm considering just recording them, finding out the score, then watching if they win/it's a good game. Luckily the last few games I've had a friend over to watch, so we just went off and played video games or watched a movie. :frantic:

I used to be one of those guys that was proud of how upset I would get after each Canucks loss in playoffs, and how depressed I would get when they lost the series.... Then I realized the power of self-brainwashing, and being realistically positive in any situation.

For me, there is no point to be overly negative. I think we're definitely gonna win this series if/when the team starts playing to their potential (last seen against Hawks a week or 2 ago) regardless of who's in the net and regardless of how good Sharks and Niemi play. (and no I wouldn't say the same thing if we were playing the Hawks... we'd need some luck as well as playing to full potential)

I'm excited to see if they can get to that level in game 2 or even 3. If we go down 0-3, then I'll start preparing for a 1st round exit.

And if they lose, then I fully expect some major changes to follow in the off-season, so I'll be excited to see what happens. Not to mention all the other exciting and entertaining match ups the remainder of this playoffs... and the outcome of the several hockey pools I'm in.

So to conclude, don't get upset and depressed. There's nothing cool about being the grumpy "I told you so" person that no one wants to hang out with. Make it a win-win situation where you'd be excited for something regardless of the outcome.

PS this is different than being unrealistically positive (the "I Believe" people) cuz it's not a win-win as you still stand to get very upset/depressed if/when Canucks lose.

Even if they Canucks lose, I'll be really disappointed but I also have my own goals and my own life to be excited for. People that are so obsessed with the Canucks that they get depressed and angry for a long time after a loss need to get their life together. Find your own hobbies and goals. Nothing wrong with being pissed when the Canucks lose, but it's important to have a balance in your life and not be a loser who lives his life through the team. Hopefully we won't be eliminated, but even if it happens at least I can go out and enjoy the sun some more, and of course watch other teams.

I don't get too extremely upset, but the loss in the Cup Finals in 2011 was crushing. I actually cried a little bit knowing we went all the way to come up one win short of the promised land.

Last year was rough too to be eliminated so quickly, but I didn't get upset about it because I honestly didn't expect much seeing how poorly the team had played going into the playoffs.

I was a bit disappointed after last nights loss, but I know there is a lot of hockey yet to be played and this series is far from over. A win tomorrow and the series is right back to evens. This team can get past the Sharks, they just need to play more than a good 20 minutes.

I hear ya. It is whatever it's gonna be.

All we can do is enjoy the rollercoaster,

I like our players, watching them joke around and the behind the scenes.

They seem like such good and funny guys and a great group of friends, who have also been racking up some hardware.

I'd love nothing more than to see our core win the cup.

but if not I still enjoy reading about who we could draft and following the prospects and the prospect camp is always just around the bend.

At least we have a rich organization in a beautiful city and we should appreciate what we do have.

Archived