The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Make It A Win-Win For Yourselves

westvandude

I used to be one of those guys that was proud of how upset I would get after each Canucks loss in playoffs, and how depressed I would get when they lost the series.... Then I realized the power of self-brainwashing, and being realistically positive in any situation.

For me, there is no point to be overly negative. I think we're definitely gonna win this series if/when the team starts playing to their potential (last seen against Hawks a week or 2 ago) regardless of who's in the net and regardless of how good Sharks and Niemi play. (and no I wouldn't say the same thing if we were playing the Hawks... we'd need some luck as well as playing to full potential)

I'm excited to see if they can get to that level in game 2 or even 3. If we go down 0-3, then I'll start preparing for a 1st round exit.

And if they lose, then I fully expect some major changes to follow in the off-season, so I'll be excited to see what happens. Not to mention all the other exciting and entertaining match ups the remainder of this playoffs... and the outcome of the several hockey pools I'm in.

So to conclude, don't get upset and depressed. There's nothing cool about being the grumpy "I told you so" person that no one wants to hang out with. Make it a win-win situation where you'd be excited for something regardless of the outcome.

PS this is different than being unrealistically positive (the "I Believe" people) cuz it's not a win-win as you still stand to get very upset/depressed if/when Canucks lose.

So many people around work that never mentioned the Canucks all year. Probably watched 2.5 games all season, and suddenly now they're all chirping up about how the Canucks will lose, that they haven't liked what they've seen all year. Fire the coach. The usually banal monologue. And this was before game 1, mind you.

You can't win over those people. The Canucks win round 1, so what, they'll lose the next one. They'll never win the big game.

They'd rather be right than invest in entertaining the thought of what-if.

I know that's why I watch. The Canucks play a good brand of hockey, and there's always a chance until it's over. You have to live for those moments when you're down and almost out. Sometimes miracles happen. And those moments stay with you a lot longer than the disappointment of a loss.

Burrows in overtime. Courtnall coming down the wing launching a rocket. Adams or Bieksa sending us to the final. The White Towel. The Save. Bure in Game 7. Game 6 of the '94 final. Linden in game 7. I just sit and wait for the next one.

While I agree, we have watched a good new owner hire an inexperienced gm, who in turn retained a previous gms coach run this team in a manner that leaves way too many question marks. Bring in a gm with experience, have them hire their coach and go at it that way... Too much complacenc.

I used to be the "guy who got depressed after every loss" and wore it like a badge, as if it made me more of a fan than someone else. But that was when I was 14-18. I am still young (25) but I know now exactly what my dad told me while growing up with my canucks heart on my sleeve, its just a game.

My father is one of the biggest Canuck fans I know, but he brushes off losses as just that, a loss. The world hasnt ended, there is always next game, etc.

To me this series is win win. While I want the Canucks to win, I also like the sharks. I spend a good part of the year living near SJ. So I frankly don't care as much who wins the series. Maybe I should wear my Thornton short in order to jinx the Sharks?

As soon as the play-offs finish I head to the cottage for the summer, it can't get better than that.....and on the drive to the cottage...I tend to think about how much money I saved on play-off tickets

Yea, but it is so brutal watching your team play like dung. It is like they don't even try.

Go out there and try your hardest and if you still don't win, too bad but don't give up.

I still think a lot of the hilarious negativity comes from the fact that a lot of the current fans weren't around for the dark ages. They weren't here when the Canucks were bottom-feeders in the late 90's, they weren't here for the Messier years, etc.

I suppose it's hard to appreciate how well the team has been doing when the media spins in the way they do, but honestly we as fans have been spoiled with a perennial playoff team for the last little while.

There's no point in getting all upset over a hockey game.

I've gotten angry after hockey games, but never at the Canucks. I've been angry at other teams, players & officials.

Why would I get angry at the Canucks? The players, coaches & management all want the same thing I want & are surely more invested in the team then I am. If I'm disappointed, they must be feeling much worse.

Yeah I tend to turn off from hockey after a Canucks loss. Ignore it until the next game.

:) One thing I've found that works wonders for getting rid of after-loss depression is coming on here & reading the comments, then my depression is replaced with anger at all the morons on here who are ripping into my team.

It's funny cuz there was an exam that I had to write where you can only write it once a year and of all the times, it is in June. This is a major exam requiring over 200 hours of studying and while working a fulltime job, and so as usual, all of that is left to be done a month before the exam... i.e. playoff time!

I wrote it in 2011, and I failed. In 2012, Canucks exit early, I get so turned off, I don't watch much hockey after and study hard instead, and I passed.

No exams this year tho, so better be a long playoff run ;)

Archived