61 replies to this topic

#31 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Is this guy NHL ready? Or is he going to spend a year in the AHL?

AHL in all likelihood. We have most of our d-core locked up next year and young guys like Corrado are ahead of him. A year in the AHL is great for getting used to the game; see Jensen.
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#32 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

having players like McNally

Speaking of cheaters... Has anyone heard of whats going on with this guy?

#33 CALGARY!

CALGARY!

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

Good signing, can see this guy as a solid top 4 within the next 2-3 seasons

#34 DeltaSwede

DeltaSwede

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:21 PM

One of the better defensemen in the SEL this year. QB's the power play very well and gets shots through consistently. This guy can make it to the NHL for sure. Love this guy, hidden gem.

MMjJiLv.gif

Shinckarukak

#35 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

hAHA; GREAT POST > PLUS 1

Don't want to get anyone's hopes up too much, but there's another Swedish Henrik who was drafted 210th overall...

Posted Image

#36 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

Heard awesome things of him. Hope he's a stud.

#37 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

While I'm glad that a 210th overall pick is good enough to play in our system, I'm truly not sure how much impact another smallish Dman will do to our franchise.
Posted Image

#38 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,382 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Tommernes a "smart, puck moving defenseman"

The Vancouver Canucks announced on Thursday they have come to terms with defensive prospect Henrik Tommernes on an entry-level contract. Tommernes, 22, spent the 2012-13 season with Frolunda in the Elitserien (Swedish Elite League) where he amassed 16 points (5-11-16) in 54 games-played, while also picking up five points (1-4-5) in six post-season games.

Tommernes, the Canucks seventh-round pick (210th overall) in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, has spent the last three seasons with Frolunda developing his two-way game. The 6-foot-1, 180-pounder is a very good skater with good offensive instincts, receives lots of praise for his passing ability, especially his outlet passes, and has a knack of getting his point shots through traffic and on net.

”Henrik is a smart, puck moving defenseman,” said Dave Gagner, the Canucks director of player development. “He led Frolunda in ice-time this past season, playing in all situations. He will likely be used more in an offensive type role here in North America; all depends on how quickly he is able to adjust to the increased intensity level of our pro game.”

Tommernes, a left-handed shooter, spent the two previous seasons playing the högerback (right-side) mainly with veteran Christian Backman, a former first-round pick of the St. Louis Blues in 1998. This past season, Tommernes was moved to his more natural vänsterback (left-side) where he was able to make great strides in his development.

The native of Karlstad, Sweden, led Frolunda in ice-time with an average of 20:18 per-game (up from 16:41 per-game in the 11-12 season), which ranked 12th among all skaters in the SEL. In fact, none of the players ahead of him in average time-on-ice were younger, the majority mainly veterans and only one player was not at least three years older than him.

Interesting to note he played some right side despite shooting left, we'll have to see how he lines up in the AHL next year. I think we're finally starting to see some of the fruits of the prospect drafting and development under Gillis.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year.

#39 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,394 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

Our defensive prospect pool is almost filled if not fillled

Sauve-Anderesson
Price-Polasek
McNally-McEneny
Hutton-Tommernes

Of course some will be playing outside of north america/AHL, but I don't think we need that many more, maybe draft 1-2 defensemen in the draft.

Kevin Fiala will be a star.

#40 missioncanucksfan

missioncanucksfan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Our defensive prospect pool is almost filled if not fillled

Sauve-Anderesson
Price-Polasek
McNally-McEneny
Hutton-Tommernes

Of course some will be playing outside of north america/AHL, but I don't think we need that many more, maybe draft 1-2 defensemen in the draft.

Sauve spent the last part of the season...seasoning in Kalamazoo, Who knows what will happen with "the cheater". McEneny, Andersson, Price, Polasek are still another year or so from a call-up. That leaves Corrodo, Tommernes as "the promised ones". Of our positions, I would say defence is still our weakest spot.

#41 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

A lot of people on CDC have been going off on MG lately, but he has made big strides preparing for our future.
Posted Image

#42 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,382 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

Sauve spent the last part of the season...seasoning in Kalamazoo, Who knows what will happen with "the cheater". McEneny, Andersson, Price, Polasek are still another year or so from a call-up. That leaves Corrodo, Tommernes as "the promised ones". Of our positions, I would say defence is still our weakest spot.

Considering we have Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison, Edler and Tanev ahead of them in the NHL already, I don't think I'd say it's our weakest spot.

#43 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,394 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hammer Bieksa are the only ones 30+ after next season, so our defense are reaching their prime or are not there yet, therefor defense shouldn't be our weak spot considering we will be getting defensemens for the next 2-5 years to keep defense solid.

AV is a defense first coach and he might be influencing some of this signing/drafting defensemens, after he is gone we might see a change in the defense ways.

#44 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

Hammer Bieksa are the only ones 30+ after next season, so our defense are reaching their prime or are not there yet, therefor defense shouldn't be our weak spot considering we will be getting defensemens for the next 2-5 years to keep defense solid.

AV is a defense first coach and he might be influencing some of this signing/drafting defensemens, after he is gone we might see a change in the defense ways.

Our defense needs a shakeup/overhaul. They've proven that they break down far too frequently and when it matters most. I think your untouchables are Hamhuis and Garrison. That's it. Personally, I'd be really reluctant to move Bieksa too, because I think when he's playing well he's outstanding in all areas and you like having that meanness he can bring. But, if the return is worth it - then maybe you do move him. I think Edler needs to go...he brings back the most value and he just can't seem to meet that potential we always say he has.

So I don't really think our defense is set at all. Who knows, maybe it's just a new coach that can invigorate them - but they've no longer earned the right to be givens on the teams blue line anymore.

#45 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,063 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

Our defense needs a shakeup/overhaul. They've proven that they break down far too frequently and when it matters most. I think your untouchables are Hamhuis and Garrison. That's it. Personally, I'd be really reluctant to move Bieksa too, because I think when he's playing well he's outstanding in all areas and you like having that meanness he can bring. But, if the return is worth it - then maybe you do move him. I think Edler needs to go...he brings back the most value and he just can't seem to meet that potential we always say he has.

So I don't really think our defense is set at all. Who knows, maybe it's just a new coach that can invigorate them - but they've no longer earned the right to be givens on the teams blue line anymore.

Doesn't matter who we've had on D, whether it was Mitchell, Salo, or Ehrhoff, the D has always had meltdowns.

The one constant variable has been Rick Bowness. He needs to go along with AV. We put too much money in our D for it to struggle that much. I think a proven defensive coach could do wonders for our D core.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#46 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,639 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Doesn't matter who we've had on D, whether it was Mitchell, Salo, or Ehrhoff, the D has always had meltdowns.

The one constant variable has been Rick Bowness. He needs to go along with AV. We put too much money in our D for it to struggle that much. I think a proven defensive coach could do wonders for our D core.

Larry Robinson? :bigblush:

#47 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,848 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

Totally agree. Fans seem to think that Edler was a #1 pick or something. He came out of the blue on a Gradin trip to northern Sweden. His hockey background had no depth. His development seems to slide up and down and when he is down it doesn't appear to have any structure to recover it. I blame coaching for that. It might be Edler himself. I really disliked his comment during the season when he grouped himself into an elite category of player like the Twins. I often mention the collegial attitude that comes out of the Canuck org. It smacks of joint responsibility vs individual ownership. That approach is good for some things but can be a scapegoating process as well.

#48 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,382 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

How do you have a constant variable?... :unsure: I'll show myself out. :P

But back on track, I'm not sure coaching will be able to fix any technical deficiencies our players may have. Setting up a better system may reduce errors, but when we have a D that's fairly active to assist with the offence that's going to happen. Will the reduction from playing a safer style be less than the gaffs resulting in goals from being so active at both ends of the ice?

There is a valid point that it's a shortened season, but I can agree a change might be beneficial. I'm not sure who the best option would be we could replace them with, or if there is a system that will make this all much better, but a shake up alone with the proper personnel put in place might be enough.

We'll have to see how our younger players can work into an improved (hopefully) system as well. I'd think dropping Ballard's salary and replacing him with someone in a limited role like Tommernes (not saying he's ready yet, just an example since this thread is still about him) might yield success.

#49 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Another "puck moving" defenseman? We need some bloody nastiness in our D core. Bunch of cream puffs other than Bieksa. Ballard excluded, but he's as good as gone.

#50 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,063 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

How do you have a constant variable?... :unsure: I'll show myself out. :P

Ever take science class?

A constant variable is the variable that is held steady for a certain experiment. For example the constant variable may be the temperature held to 180 degrees for the length of the experiment.

Posted Image

#51 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,382 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:09 PM

Ever take science class?

Didn't like science, I was a math guy. No constant variables there. :P

#52 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

Congratulation to the kid! Can't wait to see him play for us soon.
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#53 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,394 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

Congratulation to the kid! Can't wait to see him play for us soon.

They're is a few players on defense above him.

Anderesson,Corrado,Tanev.

#54 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,063 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

They're is a few players on defense above him.

Anderesson,Corrado,Tanev.

None of them move the puck like Tommernes. That may move him up in the depth chart.

We desperately need a D-man that can get shots through on the powerplay.

Posted Image

#55 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,394 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

None of them move the puck like Tommernes. That may move him up in the depth chart.

Yea he is the best puck moving defensemen with a good shot in our prospect group. But I don't think we need to be relying on him, just get one from free agency or trade. Tanev is pretty good at rushing up with the puck too.

#56 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,039 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

tbh I thought Corrado was very good at pucks to net at least, not getting blocked by sharks players.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#57 DeltaSwede

DeltaSwede

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:13 AM

The more I think about it, I could see a real possibility that Tömmernes can squeeze in for some games next year. He has a great shot and he is very smart with using it. He knows when to shoot hard and when to put in a soft one on goal but most importantly he can read the game very very well. He makes great outlet passes something that we desperately need and he makes smart plays in the offensive zone.

I might be praising this kid too much but when I have watched him play for frölunda this year i have been thoroughly impressed. The WHC invite wasn't uncalled for. Great season, we got a great defensemen in this guy.

A mobile, offensively skilled defenseman, Tömmernes is a very good skater and playmaker from the back end. Has terrific hockey sense, so his defensive game is solid as well. Often gets his point shots through the traffic in front of the net.

scouting report from 2010. Hes gotten even better since then.

MMjJiLv.gif

Shinckarukak

#58 ButterBean

ButterBean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

Another "puck moving" defenseman? We need some bloody nastiness in our D core. Bunch of cream puffs other than Bieksa. Ballard excluded, but he's as good as gone.

When you look at our D we don't really have any true puck movers. We have guys who can make solid passes but it'd be nice to have someone who can lead a rush and have the lateral mobility for our power play. Our D does need some more big hitters though, seems like the only ones laying the body were Edler, Alberts, and Bieksa.

Edited by ButterBean, 14 May 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#59 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,382 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

tbh I thought Corrado was very good at pucks to net at least, not getting blocked by sharks players.

He does do that well, as well as jumping into the play, and can use a hard shot or take some off it to make sure it gets through. He isn't as good of a puck mover or carrier as Tommernes though.

#60 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:34 AM

Cool, just watched some Tommernes highlights on the tube, can't wait to see how he plays with our farm team, if we have a farm team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.