The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What was the turning point of our "window"

Anima

Lets face it, our window is closing if not completely shut. We are looking to either rebuild (either be like the sad oilers or the amazing hawks) or reload (either be like the sad flames or the awesome canadiens)

What was our turning point of our "window"?

The kesler/hamhuis injury + luongo let down? The cody/kassian trade? The departure of ehrhoff?

I think it was losing game 7 of the Finals. I think the players fully realized what a long road it was to get there, and what a long road it would be to get back there. So many things had to go right for us to get all the way to the Stanley Cup final. To come that close and not win...I think it took the wind out of our sails. And to be honest, I don't think the players believe in their ability to get back there again.

They probably saw that as an opportunity lost. And going forward, it's just about playing the game. I don't think they believe they can get back there.

Our window isn't closed. We still have another year or so if we retool correctly. If you ask when did everything around this team change, it would be after that January game in Boston last year. Things slowly fell apart after that and even with winning the presidents trophy, everything changed

There never really has been a 'window' to me. The NHL playoffs are where small sample sizes and random events determine the champions. This group had their chance to win it all and fell one game short. Factor in age, SSS, random events and parity across the league and the likelyhood of this group making it back to the SC Finals is low. Regardless of this year's outcome, roster changes need to happen.

There never really has been a 'window' to me. The NHL playoffs are where small sample sizes and random events determine the champions. This group had their chance to win it all and fell one game short. Factor in age, SSS, random events and parity across the league and the likelyhood of this group making it back to the SC Finals is low. Regardless of this year's outcome, roster changes need to happen.

It was when Malholtra took a puck in the eye. The team may had gone to the final but Kesler broke himself trying to be himself and Manny at the same time.

When that puck took him out couldn't you feel the shift that day? I swear the univese felt like it moved.

I think it was losing game 7 of the Finals. I think the players fully realized what a long road it was to get there, and what a long road it would be to get back there. So many things had to go right for us to get all the way to the Stanley Cup final. To come that close and not win...I think it took the wind out of our sails. And to be honest, I don't think the players believe in their ability to get back there again.

They probably saw that as an opportunity lost. And going forward, it's just about playing the game. I don't think they believe they can get back there.

Archived