40 replies to this topic

#1 Anima

Anima

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Lets face it, our window is closing if not completely shut. We are looking to either rebuild (either be like the sad oilers or the amazing hawks) or reload (either be like the sad flames or the awesome canadiens)

What was our turning point of our "window"?

The kesler/hamhuis injury + luongo let down? The cody/kassian trade? The departure of ehrhoff?
11 wins to go...

#2 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,543 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:10 PM

Lol the window is still very much open.

zackass.png

#3 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

I'd say wait until after the playoffs...You have already said the window is shut..so you tell us

#4 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,302 posts

POPULAR

I think it was losing game 7 of the Finals. I think the players fully realized what a long road it was to get there, and what a long road it would be to get back there. So many things had to go right for us to get all the way to the Stanley Cup final. To come that close and not win...I think it took the wind out of our sails. And to be honest, I don't think the players believe in their ability to get back there again.

They probably saw that as an opportunity lost. And going forward, it's just about playing the game. I don't think they believe they can get back there.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#5 The Great Dane

The Great Dane

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:16 PM

Our window isn't closed. We still have another year or so if we retool correctly. If you ask when did everything around this team change, it would be after that January game in Boston last year. Things slowly fell apart after that and even with winning the presidents trophy, everything changed

#6 CupisAll

CupisAll

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

the psychological effect of losing it the way we did (on home ice to boot) when the statisticcal odds of winning were stacked so heavily in our favour after the first two games is clearly insurmountable

#7 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

When Gillis let Ehrhoff and Torres walk..

Yup, still gonna be riding that. That Ebbett excuse is even more stupid.

Posted Image

#8 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Losing in 2011

the team (and in turn, the fans) just have not seemed as interested ever since that happened

#9 RonMexico

RonMexico

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

There never really has been a 'window' to me. The NHL playoffs are where small sample sizes and random events determine the champions. This group had their chance to win it all and fell one game short. Factor in age, SSS, random events and parity across the league and the likelyhood of this group making it back to the SC Finals is low. Regardless of this year's outcome, roster changes need to happen.

#10 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:24 PM

There never really has been a 'window' to me. The NHL playoffs are where small sample sizes and random events determine the champions. This group had their chance to win it all and fell one game short. Factor in age, SSS, random events and parity across the league and the likelyhood of this group making it back to the SC Finals is low. Regardless of this year's outcome, roster changes need to happen.

This

Raymond
Ebbett
and Roy do not replace the physicality we had with Torres, Sammuellson, and Malhotra for the majority of the dominance of the 2011 season.

I think the core is tired of a Chicago wolves bottom 6 and theres no emotion when a bad call has a pp goal put them back

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#11 Johnny_Drama

Johnny_Drama

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

1+1=window
"Victory!"

#12 Madness

Madness

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,834 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

Losing the cup finals

We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes   || STL Blues EHL Roster ||

cookie.png

#13 TIGER SINGH

TIGER SINGH

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

not trading Schneider for a good playoff performer
Posted Image
Thanks -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

#14 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,187 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

No replacement for Ehrhoff.

#15 Ihatetomatoes

Ihatetomatoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

ehrhoff was the force that drove this team....
Kesler was a 40 goal scorer
Sedins were Elite...now there just good
Its hard to care when you don't

#16 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,881 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

We need a guy like Prust or Torres.

#17 Henrik Kesler

Henrik Kesler

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

When the transition game left with Erhoff.

Edit: Not to say I think the window is closed because I don't, the offense just isn't what it used to be because our transition game sucks.

Edited by Henrik Kesler, 02 May 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#18 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

It was when Malholtra took a puck in the eye. The team may had gone to the final but Kesler broke himself trying to be himself and Manny at the same time.

When that puck took him out couldn't you feel the shift that day? I swear the univese felt like it moved.

Edited by TimberWolf, 02 May 2013 - 06:29 PM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#19 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

If you make the playoffs the window is open

/thread
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#20 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

I think it was losing game 7 of the Finals. I think the players fully realized what a long road it was to get there, and what a long road it would be to get back there. So many things had to go right for us to get all the way to the Stanley Cup final. To come that close and not win...I think it took the wind out of our sails. And to be honest, I don't think the players believe in their ability to get back there again.

They probably saw that as an opportunity lost. And going forward, it's just about playing the game. I don't think they believe they can get back there.

This is exactly what i've been thinking and saying. I hope to heck i'm wrong but i think we'll have to wait for the next incarnation of this team. Why do i say that, because i simply look at the time spans between Cup appearances. Team formed 1970 -12 years - 1982 finals - 12 years - 1994 finals - 16 years 2010 finals - ???? years finals.
I know this is in no way scientific but it does seem to be a trend? It seems like the entire roster and coaching staff has to change before another long run is mad?

756ac80c-8542-42cd-b771-2d57edda5a59.jpg

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#21 Captain-Canuck2562

Captain-Canuck2562

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

Game 7 loss to Boston

#22 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

This is exactly what i've been thinking and saying. I hope to heck i'm wrong but i think we'll have to wait for the next incarnation of this team. Why do i say that, because i simply look at the time spans between Cup appearances. Team formed 1970 -12 years - 1982 finals - 12 years - 1994 finals - 16 years 2010 finals - ???? years finals.
I know this is in no way scientific but it does seem to be a trend? It seems like the entire roster and coaching staff has to change before another long run is mad?

Definitely seems like a trend, WCE era, Sedin era. We're going to have to wait for the next era to make another serious run imo.

Gillis fracked up....

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#23 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,617 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

Good drafting, picking up free prospects from college, can change those odds. You have to remember Vancouver's drafting before 1988 was just abysmal. I'd start by getting rid of Ron Delorme however....
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#24 DSVII

DSVII

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Agree, i'm starting to think the only way the sedins or kes can get back to the cup final is to tag along as a mercenary 2nd liner on a stacked team like Richards/Carter did with LA......hopefully we can sign a quality first liner with the cap space we're about to clear off with our amnesty buyouts. I just don't see the same confidence and belief in themselves as they did in 2011

"The Canucks, are like North America, many of us have it so much better than others around the world or NHL, and we don't properly appreciate what we have."

"If Canucks fans hate Mason Raymond so bad, then you should have said something before the trade deadline! Because the Leafs would have totally taken him. I mean, can he score? Can he play a HINT of defense? WE'LL TAKE HIM! WE'LL TAKE TWO!"

- Steve Dangle (Leafs Fan Reaction - youtube)

#25 BureisBest

BureisBest

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

The window for this organization will remain open for many years as we continue to spend to the cap. The window for an AV-coached, Luongo-tended, Sedin-led team, may be closing if we go out early this year.

If the window does close for those guys, I think for AV it's all about getting the team Gillis provides him deep into the playoffs. Sure the Hodson situation and perhaps the mishandling of younger players is a factor, but not if he wins in the playoffs, so you can point to the LA series last year and if we have another early exit...we'll see.

For Luongo and the Sedins, they're just getting older, and as leaders, they've had several kicks at the can now. Eventually in a results-driven business, changes will be made, and Luongo has been through the ringer in a big way here. He is emotionally spent and he didn't try to hide it at the trade deadline.
Posted Image

#26 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

Overconfidently playin Los Angeles last year was the start but trading Cody was a honorable mention

#27 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:09 PM

Losing Ehrhoff was probably the biggest loss for the team, and barely getting anything in return didn't help.

Ehrhoff's speed and unpredictability was one of the driving forces behind our PP. He does get a lot of flak for his defensive lapses but the offence he brought was something else. Ehrhoff's speed allowed him to do something other than making a drop pass when entering the zone. He could control the play and draw in defenders, freeing up the Sedins to work their magic.

Nowadays, everyone clogs up at the blue line and makes a predictable drop pass that is often intercepted, which means we have to reenter the zone all over again.

Of course, having hindsight is beneficial. I, personally, was part of the "let Ehrhoff go and keep Bieksa" camp. I didn't realize the plusses Ehrhoff brought to the team until it was too late....

Also, another change I've noticed is MG's policy on contracts. After the media began to rip him for Luongo's contract and the Ballard trade MG grew scared to make big moves.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#28 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,406 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

the turning point was signing Hamhius.
and drafting Schneider...
signing Tanev will be another.
the window is a dead horse metaphor.

#29 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Keeping a stale coach.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#30 TheTruthHurts

TheTruthHurts

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:14 PM

Everyone is retiring next year? Hmm. Good to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.