Canucks Community

Eric Gryba hit on Lars Eller

Did he lead with elbow... No

Was the puck there... Yes

Did Gryba jump... No

Was there intent... No

Principal point of contact... Body, Head

Was the hit clean... Yes

The reason that the principal point of contact was his head is because Gryba is taller than Lars Eller, which resulted in Eller hitting Gryba's shoulder.

Also, Eller was given a very dangerous pass from Diaz and the outcome was unfortunate. The result SHOULD be a fine or nothing, but the outcome WILL most likely be a 2-3 game suspension.

Blindside hit to the head.

I thought this was exactly the type of hit they are now suspending for since they changed the rules. It used to be players had to watch out for themselves but they brought in that rule that even if otherwise clean you can't blindside hit to the head.

The ice did damage but the hit knocked him out and who knows what else.

Blindside hit to the head.

I thought this was exactly the type of hit they are now suspending for since they changed the rules. It used to be players had to watch out for themselves but they brought in that rule that even if otherwise clean you can't blindside hit to the head.

The ice did damage but the hit knocked him out and who knows what else.

I still don't understand the call (even tho it was wrong anyway.) Interference? How is that interference when the puck is there?

Charging? Maybe, but it wasn't

Elbowing? Possibly, but again the wrong call.

Roughing? Ok I guess if ya get it wrong but Interference?

Just proves that the refs didn't see the play and called the result.

Rule 42.1 says that "Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent IN ANY MANNER. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in OPEN ICE."

The above wording makes it so that "violent" hits can be dealt with regardless of requirements that make other calls impossible (e.g. "principal point of contact").

As for "as a result of distance traveled", it means that you have to move to hit the target intentionally (i.e. it's not just momentum causing the collision). This wouldn't apply to hip checks and other stationary checks, nor would it apply to gliding into someone accidentally, or even "accidentally on purpose" (provided that you don't change your path to hit them).

Note that "jumping" isn't actually a requirement of charging - it just makes the penalty easier to call.

Anyways, looking at 0:40 of the video, it looks like Gryba intentionally hit Eller who was looking at the pass the entire time.

And YES, the hit in question was what caused his concussion. If it was just the ice, then he would have automatically moved his hands towards his face in reaction to the hit. He didn't, so it's obvious that he was already unconscious by then.

P.S. There's NO way that Torres' hit on Hossa was worse than this one. Hossa actually held the puck just a split second before Torres hit him. That hit was made much worse by Hossa's turn towards Torres (making it a north-south hit with the full momentum of each player adding to the impact - making it impossible for Torres to avoid at all). In contrast, Eller didn't turn towards Gryba at all - the devastating impact is the full responsibility of Gryba who had full control of the situation.

Open ice hitting should be banned from this sport. Players are way too fast now. So according to everyone, Diaz should be the one suspended? I agree this was a clean hit according to the rules but rules need to be changed or someone will get killed one of these days. I don't like seeing a player unconscious on the ice with a trail of blood. That's not hockey, this is just dirty and we're seeing more and more of these dangerous charges.

And yet every times, I hear "it was a clean hit and the guy should have raised his head". Well I'm sorry but lowering your head for 2 seconds should not be a reason to almost get killed in my opinion. NHL is pathetic is the way they are dealing with concussions.

Definately a clean hit, the CBC guys were all over Gryba but this was just a great open-ice hit. Was not late, the head wasn't the initial point of contact and no intent to injure.

He really shouldn't get suspended, but for a no-name defenceman knocking out a guy, they'll throw the book at him. Hate to say it, but injury is everything. The blood on the ice didn't help. Refs seeing that will always go in favour of the victim - shouldn't have been a penalty at all but there's no way they leave something like that uncalled, especially in Montreal.

It was a poor decision by Diaz, I know he did not intend for it to happen, but it did.

An NHL caliber D-Man has a nano second to make a decision of what to do with the puck.

It is speed, skill and decision making that makes them NHL caliber

If the pass is there then go for it, if not then off the glass and out.

It was a suicide pass and the result was worst case

I cannot believe that this would be a designed breakout by Montreal

Definately a clean hit, the CBC guys were all over Gryba but this was just a great open-ice hit. Was not late, the head wasn't the initial point of contact and no intent to injure.

He really shouldn't get suspended, but for a no-name defenceman knocking out a guy, they'll throw the book at him. Hate to say it, but injury is everything. The blood on the ice didn't help. Refs seeing that will always go in favour of the victim - shouldn't have been a penalty at all but there's no way they leave something like that uncalled, especially in Montreal.

Clean, hard hit .. no intent to target head .. head contact from whiplash .. stupid pass .. Eller not aware .. if they had not kicked Gryba out of game there could have been anarchy on the ice .. it DID NOT deserve a penalty, unless there is a new penalty for "hitting too hard" ..

Archived