The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Dirty play] How Havlat got injured

canuckbeliever

Bieksa slashes every opportunity he has. It's extremely cheap and it's obvious he's going about hacking limbs to hurt the other player and gain an advantage. It's going to come back around on him or his teammates. Bieksa likes to take liberties with his stick under the guise of trying to make a hockey play and I agree, I'm tired of it.

This is the type of crap that makes the NHL fans around the league happy when Canucks lose. They are a hated team for a reason

What is even worse is that Bieksa went on the radio today and said he didnt even know Havlat was injured or missing when asked about Havlat being injured by Sekeres.

Cmon KB, you are better than this!

I'm sure it hurt but if he's really out for the game tonight there had to be something else wrong with him that they're hiding. We've seen players return to a game after way worse than that. No way did that cause enough damage to keep him out of a playoff game!

Remember, Salo took a Duncan Keith (man, do I hate him!!) slapshot off the personal cup and had to leave the game to be taken to the hospital with a suspected ruptured testicle. When they realized it was "only" bruised, he suited up and played the very next game. Now, Havlat might not be Salo tough, but I doubt he's that much of a baby that a little stick action knocked him out without there being something else (hip issue?) going on.

Then he could have just used his body and blocked him, instead of slashing him in the nuts. Anyway, it's fine, not a huge deal. It's just kind of funny then when people start crying about Canucks players getting slashed and no penalties being called.

Haven't read one comment on this thread. As for Havlat, I have always loved his skill and is one of my favourite players.

That said, let's be serious, he gets injured whenever he steps on the ice.

Wasn't that hard, done more to control Havlat than hurt him (that was just an added bonus) and for Bieksa to expect he'd injure Havlat out of that is unrealistic unless he was thinking Havlat's so fragile a stiff wind would hurt him.

Not that anyone deserves a shot to the nuts, but there's this:

Sens' Havlat suspended five games

Ottawa Senators star wing Martin Havlat was suspended five games by the NHL for kicking Boston defenseman Hal Gill.

Havlat will lose more than $66,000 for the suspension. He will begin serving the suspension Friday, when Ottawa visits the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Colin Campbell, the NHL director of hockey operations, cited a two-month period during the 2003-04 season when Havlat was disciplined three times in two months, including a two-game suspension for kicking.

Havlat kicked Gill in the groin during the second period of Ottawa's 5-1 victory over the Bruins. Havlat's kick came after he was pushed in the back of the net by the Bruins defenseman. Gill was not hurt and a penalty was not called.

On January 2, 2004, Havlat was suspended two games after kicking New York Islanders defenseman Eric Cairns in front of the New York goal at 9:56 of the third period. He also was suspended two games for a high-sticking incident in March 2004.

If you know how Bieksa covers the slot like that its normal for him to bounce people off like that. This time it was just unfortunate that the stick was just a bit lower, usually he'd throw a chest hit to get the guy off balance.

Archived