The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The worst companies you've ever been a customer with

Stefan

3. Fido

I've been a customer of Fido's for about 10 years... With most companies you'd think loyalty would buy you some sort of advantage over new customers, but far too often I find I miss a promotion, and I'm stuck with an outrageous bill, on a long term contract, with a connection that's not even that great.

The customer service has a "we don't care if you cancel" attitude. My friend works for Bell. He advised I threaten to cancel to try to reduce a pretty expensive bill on a phone that I rarely use, outside of data and texts. Never seen CSR's so quick to help me cancel ! I was actually impressed! (Don't most cell phone companies have a retention team?)

I don't hate Fido so much anymore, as now I have a friend who works there and he's hooked up quite a few things for me... I guess it's more previous situations I'm frustrated with.

2. Telus

From day one these guys have screwed up, whether it be their promotional free Xbox giveaway on a contract that they didn't provide for months, or NEVER, and I mean NEVER being on time for the installation time window that Telus so proudly advertises. I can't remember how many times it's been, I know it's been at least 3, but wow, these guys don't even call when they're going to be late. One guy called me 3 hours passed the "window" and asked if he could still come. The stability of both the internet and TV connections have always been shady, I've had both my cable box, and router replaced once (no I never dropped them). Customer service actually mocked me the last time I talked to them. Albeit, I came off as a frustrated customer. (As someone who's worked in customer service, it should never be an excuse to be a jerk, though)

Their redeeming factor was when I requested the case be escalated, their supervisors are awesome. My most recent situation was resolved very nicely, but once their latest "we're sorry" promotion is up, I'm switching to anyone else. I don't care who. Anyone. ANYONE!

1. NHL GameCenter Live

Sometimes I wonder if this is a high scool project by a group of future dead beats. Insanely long call wait times, predictable auto responses, and unprofessional phone conversations makes this the worst company I've ever dealt with. If only there was some sort of competition, or cable wasn't so expensive, I would have ditched these guys long ago.

95% of the games I've watched have skipped a ton, or buffered (far too often at terrible times), and their "it's not our fault" attitude makes me want to rip my hair out.

The playoffs have been good so far on this, but I'm terrified of what kind of quality I will encounter next season.

Your turn. (it's fun to vent!)

Telus - long story short....they did not honor promises made. Filed complaint with BBB. Got all money back and apology from "apparent" head honcho.

Dishonorable mention to BC Hydro....they've got the monopoly and they know it.

The federal government.

Suprised you had a bad experience with Fido.

Used to work for a collections company that dealt with the big 3 cel phone operators. Fido was easily the most flexible of them all.

Word of advice: If you are with any of the big 3 as a solo client, get out now. Pay the unfair pay out and go with the cost effective newer carriers. The big 3 contracts are designed for you to ignore in an effort to squeeze ridiculous fees from you. I am still amazed that a hot shot lawyer has not taken these companies to task.

The federal government.

Used to work for a collections company that dealt with the big 3 cel phone operators. Fido was easily the most flexible of them all.

Word of advice: If you are with any of the big 3 as a solo client, get out now. Pay the unfair pay out and go with the cost effective newer carriers. The big 3 contracts are designed for you to ignore in an effort to squeeze ridiculous fees from you. I am still amazed that a hot shot lawyer has not taken these companies to task.

The federal government.

Holiday Inn. Booked a 3 night stay and wanted to change it to 2, but they refused to refund the 1 night even though I asked 10 days in advance. Called their head office and they told me to talk to the specific hotel when I arrived. So I talked directly to the hotel staff, and they told me to take it up with head office.

Sony/PSN

I got a PSN card and it didn't work so I called them and they said they will get it resolved...

1 week later, it still didn't work so I called them back and they called to call back next Tuesday....

On the Tuesday I called and the lady told me it was Monday 0_0

I called 5 days later and they told me to call next week.

I was pissed off so I called a week later and yelled at them to give me a refund but they said that there is an error in their systems...

Just ended up buying the disc since the game was only 29.99

This would be more of a chain of companies giving me poor customer service, I'd probably say Paypal was the centre of this.

I planned to order the parts for my new computer build back in October, but since I live in Canada, Paypal apparently couldn't confirm addresses out side of the U.S., which Newegg requires, so they get the right shipping address.

So along with managing work, I talked to Newegg 3 times, Paypal 5 times, and my bank 6 times (Because at the time I thought this was the problem as it was not verified), All I got was crap answers, these people have no clue what they're doing, and I got different answers from everyone, everytime. On some occasions they told me to call for example, Paypal, and then Paypal would tell me to, for example, call my bank back.

After all this frustration for the last week or so at the time, I was about to snap, I just wanted my damn computer before my birthday (Which was currently 2 weeks away), so finally deciding to give up on Paypal, I went to my final option, I called my bank, and asked them to increase my limit.

I've only had my credit card for about 6 months at the time, and I was told it takes 9 months - 1 year to get your first increase. I was lucky. The lady I talked to said that she would increase it to $1,000. I was happy, but still not satisfied considering my computer would cost over $2,000. So I asked her politely, if she could increase it to $2,000 for just 24 hours. Not only did she do that, she gave me 1 week, and an extension (I can go over my limit by about $500).

I have never been so pissed, but so happy. Screw you Paypal, all I can say, and thank you to my bank for being the most professional of the three.

EASILY EA Sports. (For me, and many others)

You purchase the game, and are thrown 100's of ways to buy add ons, same recycled game over and over.

But the worst is their customer service, I got a reply over a YEAR after I sent a complaint.

NHL games constantly eat your players in HUT or your pucks. So if you spent money on pucks, they've basically stolen them back.

EA has gotten the worst company award two years in a row currently.

Holiday Inn. Booked a 3 night stay and wanted to change it to 2, but they refused to refund the 1 night even though I asked 10 days in advance. Called their head office and they told me to talk to the specific hotel when I arrived. So I talked directly to the hotel staff, and they told me to take it up with head office.

Worst companies I've ever had the displeasure to deal with:

1. Rogers (cell & cable & internet)

2. Shaw (cable & internet)

Had nothing but problems with both. Cable companies have a "monopoly" in my opinion - that is they designate areas of a city where they are the only provider - had issues with double billing, cell phone dropped calls, and internet performance issues.

I've been a Telus customer whenever I can and have never had a any major issues with them - only thing I don't like (and it's the same everywhere now) is the automated phone support where it takes you 1-3 minutes before you can talk to someone. I've had a cell phone with Telus since 1999 - and never had a dropped call. I was Rogers before that in the ninety's mainly when I worked with for the government (thank the NDP) and every week I would have a dropped call - right in the middle of when I'm doing support with someone (I'm in I.T.). When I had shaw "high speed" I had several performance issues as well as extended outages. I rely on the internet for work so I need reliability. I was lucky to be able to switch to ADSL when it came out and have had the best and most reliable experience with it.

The only other company that I won't do business with is TD. That's because of how one branch treated my mother and how they refused to give me a loan after being a customer of theirs for 4 years. Walked into a CIBC - 2 hours later I got my first loan. That was back in 1983.

Archived