The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The worst companies you've ever been a customer with

Stefan

EA is the worst for me

i originally got nhl 13 through a home play test for ps3 instantly i noticed a huge lag in simulation times and load times i contacted the person in vancouver that i obtained the game from they knew about the issue his response was for me to keep mentioning it in the surveys and email ea customer service

well this is where things really got interesting my first response from them was about a month after i sent them the complaint they responded and had an open communication for about a week with 2-3 responses from them and then they would stop responding

the only time they would respond again is if i did a new message to them i would wait this time about 2-3 months they would give me some stuff to try i would tell them nothing worked and again i waited another month for a new response each time they would respond again they would give me i am sorry we have lost your original message if your still having issues please re submit your

issues

i waited months and months for them to say something other than the delete this re-patch this maybe respond saying we know about the issue we are working on it for a future patch again and again i never saw anything that would actually fix this issue with the ps3 version i finally gave up and sold it and told them i wouldn't even think about buying another game from them

Amazon.ca

Pre-ordered a DVD that had their price guarantee. They canceled my order a week before the release and raised their prices. I emailed them and they gave me a bunch of bs answers with each correspondence. Their story did not match up and when I called them out on their lies, they made up more bs. Basically, they were trying to get me to order the DVD again with the higher price. I decided to just buy it elsewhere instead.

This would be more of a chain of companies giving me poor customer service, I'd probably say Paypal was the centre of this.

I planned to order the parts for my new computer build back in October, but since I live in Canada, Paypal apparently couldn't confirm addresses out side of the U.S., which Newegg requires, so they get the right shipping address.

So along with managing work, I talked to Newegg 3 times, Paypal 5 times, and my bank 6 times (Because at the time I thought this was the problem as it was not verified), All I got was crap answers, these people have no clue what they're doing, and I got different answers from everyone, everytime. On some occasions they told me to call for example, Paypal, and then Paypal would tell me to, for example, call my bank back.

After all this frustration for the last week or so at the time, I was about to snap, I just wanted my damn computer before my birthday (Which was currently 2 weeks away), so finally deciding to give up on Paypal, I went to my final option, I called my bank, and asked them to increase my limit.

I've only had my credit card for about 6 months at the time, and I was told it takes 9 months - 1 year to get your first increase. I was lucky. The lady I talked to said that she would increase it to $1,000. I was happy, but still not satisfied considering my computer would cost over $2,000. So I asked her politely, if she could increase it to $2,000 for just 24 hours. Not only did she do that, she gave me 1 week, and an extension (I can go over my limit by about $500).

I have never been so pissed, but so happy. Screw you Paypal, all I can say, and thank you to my bank for being the most professional of the three.

For your CC, can't you just overpay your CC and then you can spend that much? I know I bought myself a mountain bike and regular bike to bike to work, bikes cost over $3000 after I bought accessories, etc. and my CC limit was $1500 so I just paid an extra $2500 onto my CC (after it was already paid off) and I was able to spend $4000 right away.

Forgot Best Buy.

They have a "price match guarantee".

Found a TV on sale, they refused to match it and said they wouldn't make money off of it, despite what their website says:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/help/lowest-price-guarantee/hc1001.aspx

Maybe their definition of guarantee is different than mine.

I also was trying to schedule installation on a car deck one time. Every time I would call in, whoever was answering the phone would act like a huge jerk, and would just put the phone down, while on the hook and I would hear backaround noise.

I called their head office, and it was happening to them too. They apologised (But that's all I got). That crap did, however, stop.

And Visions Electronics. They're awful. The sales person scammed me into getting an extended warranty because he said I would get my money back in full.

I find out 2 years later that I get an in store credit, towards half the purchase price of my next purchase, up to a $250 credit.

The TV I also got from them, after driving out to Langley wasn't in box (as promised). It was in this awful wrapping, that left streaks on the TV (that I eventually got out), and after a week or so I noticed an enormous scratch down the middle of the TV.

I called them and demanded a refund and they claimed that I likely did it.

I've considered going there and making an enormous scene, but... whatever... The scratch is rarely noticeable while watching anything. So I guess it isn't too bad =\

3. Fido

I've been a customer of Fido's for about 10 years... With most companies you'd think loyalty would buy you some sort of advantage over new customers, but far too often I find I miss a promotion, and I'm stuck with an outrageous bill, on a long term contract, with a connection that's not even that great.

The customer service has a "we don't care if you cancel" attitude. My friend works for Bell. He advised I threaten to cancel to try to reduce a pretty expensive bill on a phone that I rarely use, outside of data and texts. Never seen CSR's so quick to help me cancel ! I was actually impressed! (Don't most cell phone companies have a retention team?)

I don't hate Fido so much anymore, as now I have a friend who works there and he's hooked up quite a few things for me... I guess it's more previous situations I'm frustrated with.

2. Telus

From day one these guys have screwed up, whether it be their promotional free Xbox giveaway on a contract that they didn't provide for months, or NEVER, and I mean NEVER being on time for the installation time window that Telus so proudly advertises. I can't remember how many times it's been, I know it's been at least 3, but wow, these guys don't even call when they're going to be late. One guy called me 3 hours passed the "window" and asked if he could still come. The stability of both the internet and TV connections have always been shady, I've had both my cable box, and router replaced once (no I never dropped them). Customer service actually mocked me the last time I talked to them. Albeit, I came off as a frustrated customer. (As someone who's worked in customer service, it should never be an excuse to be a jerk, though)

Their redeeming factor was when I requested the case be escalated, their supervisors are awesome. My most recent situation was resolved very nicely, but once their latest "we're sorry" promotion is up, I'm switching to anyone else. I don't care who. Anyone. ANYONE!

1. NHL GameCenter Live

Sometimes I wonder if this is a high scool project by a group of future dead beats. Insanely long call wait times, predictable auto responses, and unprofessional phone conversations makes this the worst company I've ever dealt with. If only there was some sort of competition, or cable wasn't so expensive, I would have ditched these guys long ago.

95% of the games I've watched have skipped a ton, or buffered (far too often at terrible times), and their "it's not our fault" attitude makes me want to rip my hair out.

The playoffs have been good so far on this, but I'm terrified of what kind of quality I will encounter next season.

Your turn. (it's fun to vent!)

Oh and I forgot to mention Richmond Subaru. My car was scratched right off the lot and when I told them, they said it was "barely noticeable." Had to bitch at them for quite a while before they would fix it.

Then 6 months later I took it back for a free service, where they threw in a "complimentary car wash" and scratched it again. I didn't notice it right away since it was raining, but when I washed my car a few weeks later, I saw the scratch marks that were definitely from a brush (which I would obviously never use). Called them up and they said that since it'd been weeks it probably wasn't them. Right, a brush must have magically gone and rubbed against my car and scratched it, eh? So I had to contact Subaru Canada and threaten to go to the press, and they finally said to bring it in. When I did, they still would not admit they scratched it but they did finally fix my car.

I would still recommend a Subaru and consider it in the future but stay the hell away from Richmond Subaru. When I was Googling their contact info I got a ton of results with discussions about how bad their customer service and detailing department are.

Shaw is at the top of my list.

I moved to Williams Lake for a year and the area I moved to, Telus didn't have internet so I decided to go with Shaw for phone, TV and internet. In the three months I had their service, my phone went out at least once a month. Each time it went down it took at least 2 hours to get someone on the phone. Then when I did get someone on the phone, they didn't listen to my description of the problem. They just started going through a troubleshooting list, assuming the problem was on my end.

Having Shaw for my phone service was one of the most frustrating customer service experiences I've ever had. I moved and I am back with Telus and I haven't had a single issue in 2 years.

On a weirder note, I had a strange issue with eBay once. I was receiving calls at my office from eBay customers. People that called into eBay customer service and selected a particular extension would wind up at my phone, even though I had nothing to do with eBay. What made it difficult was trying to convince these customers that I did not work for eBay and had nothing to do with eBay. I don't even have an eBay account.

It was even more difficult to convince eBay that their own phone system was directing customers to me. It took several calls to find someone that even believed me. The standard response was "That's just not possible". They changed their tune a little when I pointed out how nice it was of me not to take advantage of their customers that called me thinking I was eBay. Every customer that called showed up on my call display with a California number, so it was easy to know when another eBay call was coming in.

Even though they changed their tune, I don't know if they ever resolved it. I moved offices and got a new phone number. I just hope my company never re-assigned my old number to someone else.

And for a dishonourable mention, I would like to add Boston Pizza. My wife and I went for dinner and were seated, and then never saw a BP employee again. Nobody came to even take our drink order. We even spoke up and asked for a little service and still nobody showed. I treat that one as an isolated incident though.

Oh and I forgot to mention Richmond Subaru. My car was scratched right off the lot and when I told them, they said it was "barely noticeable." Had to bitch at them for quite a while before they would fix it.

Then 6 months later I took it back for a free service, where they threw in a "complimentary car wash" and scratched it again. I didn't notice it right away since it was raining, but when I washed my car a few weeks later, I saw the scratch marks that were definitely from a brush (which I would obviously never use). Called them up and they said that since it'd been weeks it probably wasn't them. Right, a brush must have magically gone and rubbed against my car and scratched it, eh? So I had to contact Subaru Canada and threaten to go to the press, and they finally said to bring it in. When I did, they still would not admit they scratched it but they did finally fix my car.

I would still recommend a Subaru and consider it in the future but stay the hell away from Richmond Subaru. When I was Googling their contact info I got a ton of results with discussions about how bad their customer service and detailing department are.

HP.

They didn't put my recovery discs in with my desktop and I had to do a full wipe, so they wanted me to pay 20 bucks for me to send them to me. I refused, and after loads of fighting they sent me the wrong discs. 4 times. Over the period of about 8 months of hassle. I gave up and bought a new hard drive.

Telus Mobility.

Been with the company for 12 years paying over 50/month, and as my contract is up next month and I wanted the Blackberry Q10, they suggested me a plan as the new BBs use more data. They offered me squat for extra perks, and this was speaking to retention. I argued with the manager for about an hour before saying I just got an offer from Rogers so I'm leaving, and they finally gave in. An extra 500mbs of data and unlimited local, whoopee :rolleyes:

Future Shop.

Never have I gone into a store and known more about their products than any of their sales staff. Not only that, half of the time they're illiterate.

I could go on and on, but they're all corporations (Home Depot, Shaw, Telus Internet, etc). They control us enough as it is, and there really isn't a way to get around it without wasting hours of your time arguing and complaining.

Archived