The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The worst companies you've ever been a customer with

Stefan

Interesting to hear conficting reports about Telus and Shaw. For me Telus has been a bit of an annoyance, but not as much of an outright theif as Shaw. Seems that everyone has their own villain regarding these guys.

Frankly, they are both screwing us pretty much equally.

Any company that forces me to sit through a phone tree of options, entering every number I know and then proceeds to ask me all the same questions when I finally get a human. That is so farking annoying.

McDonalds, freaking people forget to put the sauce for my mcnuggets EVERY TIME I go through the drive thru and then theyre like "its in the bag" and i open up the bag to show them they're wrong.

CIBC can be very trying. I don't have an overdraft on my account so they continually try to screw me with NSF charges at the end of the month. A while back I had lent my brother pretty much all the money I had in my account besides rent for the upcoming month + about $40. My monthly charges were usually about $20 a month usually so I thought I was good but I had a bad feeling so I kept looking at my balance on the last day of the month and then again on the first.

So when the first comes i keep checking the balance as my bank is about 2 minutes from my work, I figured if something happened where the service charges were too high I would go and deposit some money as I always keep $100 hidden away at home for emergencies.

Well at the end of the day on the first I see that my rent has been processed and my balance sits at around $40 so I was relieved in my own mind. At least rent is payed for. If somehow my balance goes negative for a couple days until payday it's not a big deal. Well the next day I check my balance and I've got a weird balance. As I look at the transactions they now have the service charge retroactively charged on the last day of the month for $43 bringing my $3 short for my rent. So, my rent payment is reversed, I get charged NSF by the property managers, and I also get an NSF from my bank even though I have a thousand dollars in my account.

This had happened to me several times before so when I called in I was ready to read this guy the riot act. I must have spoken eloquently because iin the end I had everything taken care of plus an extra $90 placed in my account to make up for the NSF charges and neccesary money order. The representative was appalled when I told him how much ther service charge was and determined that two different systems were on my account and I had been charged randomly under one or the other for a couple years. Most of the time they equalled out but every once in a while the one system lead to huge charges like the $45. So I was also given a special plan at reduced cost for a year. I had also been charged NSF of $35 for being 24 cents in the negative. I explained to the guy, you've seen me get paid every two weeks for the past 5 years and you can't trust you will get your 24 cents back in two days on my next payday? I said how can you expect me to do business with you when you screw my over with my creditors. I thought we were supposed to be business partners?

Bell Mobility, continued billing me for months after I had cancalled my month by month plan several times. I even gave them one months notice in advance. I guess they figured if they kept billing me I would just pay them. Not a chance.

Telus custumer service is an absolute literal joke. My internet didn't work since the first day I got it, I told them the router they gave me was shot and they didn't beleive me. For ALMOST TWO MONTHS I argued, bitched, screamed at them as they dicked me around, putting me on hold for literally hours only to hang up on me at times when the person they transferred me to didn't answer. Finally after the a month and a half I got a new router, and still had to pay for the months I didn't have internet. Worst part is I'm stuck with it because its what my landlords are using and there is only one hook up for this place. (I had to go through this entire situation twice because the second router also broke). Nothing but pure BS out of these guys, service wise and product wise.

TD Canada Trust. I have heard of others having good experiences, but I hate them.

First off, their NSF fee was $42.50, which really hurt me bigtime while I was going to school. The end of the school year was tough for me as my summer work money was either low or gone, the last month was always tough. I had a situation where I was $0.50 short on a $200 pre-authorized debit, as I used by debit card so infrequently I forgot they charge the debit fees at the end of the month, I had about $2 in extra fees I didn't consider, and my 1st of the month pre-auth debit was declined. The company tried to run the pre-auth three times, so by the time I realized what had happened the NSF fees had erroded by account balance. Long story short, had to use my cash set aside for groceries to pay the bill, then spent the weekend before three big exams working to make back the grocery money.

I also had a fun experience with a friend. Went to the bank together, he is told that they have a promo that any student gets pre-approved for a credit card. He told me about this so I got back into the lineup and asked the teller about that, sure enough as a student I would also be pre-approved. Only problem, when I changed my account to a student account, the person didn't set it up properly, they just lowered by monthly fee and put the word student as a note on my account, they declined me. I brought in paperwork from my school two days later, only to find the promotion was over.

About a year after my NSF experience, I was again at the end of the school year and knew money would be tight, so I told the bank about what had happened the year before and that I had no choice but to close my account for 6 weeks until I have summer money coming in. I was told that they could put a hold on my information so I wouldn't have to start back as a new customer, sure enough, when I returned to the bank all my info was deleted, had to start over with holds on all paycheques, debit withdrawal limits, etc.

I then graduated, got a good paying job, and after a year and a half of work had a nice chunk saved up. I decided it was time for a credit card. They asked me how much of a limit I wanted I said $500 is fine but would prefer the maximum I can get. So they're strategy was to sign me up for a $10,000 limit, that was declined, so they tried $5000, then $3000, etc. They got all the way down to $500 and I was still declined. At that point they decided to mention that your credit score lowers every time you apply, and that applying many times in a row gets you flagged. I talked to a couple credit companies and found out I had built myself a small but reasonable amount of credit by paying off all my student loans upon graduation, paying my bills on time since graduation, and having a bit of money saved/invested, but that the bank rep had completely eradicated all of that through their ridiculous application process.

I finally said good riddance. I do my day to day banking with ING Direct and have credit cards from VanCity and PC Financial and have never had any issues.

Future Shop.

Never have I gone into a store and known more about their products than any of their sales staff. Not only that, half of the time they're illiterate. Did they arrive to this country on a floating door?

Archived