The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo, Game 2 and History

BuretoMogilny

Tomorrow as they say in the NHL adds, History will be made, either good or bad, it will be.

No one believed Luongo would ever get a chance to rescue his reputation, to prove he is a great goalie in Vancouver again after LA last year. But tomorrow he gets that opportunity.

These are the moments much like game 7 vs Boston and the series, last year vs. LA, that a player either becomes a great or continues to just be seen as a 'good', competitive player.

Lou has been lucky in some ways, not many players get multiple chances at that - the chance to show the world they can the best. Perhaps the loss of game 7 (which I never blamed on him, but he impacted that series) and his resume prior earned him extra chances. People want to believe he is one of the greats in history.

Lou has shown he has been a very good goaltender in the NHL, the greatest Vancouver has ever seen for sure, but he never quite reached the NHL greatness that comes from stealing series, carrying a team to a cup and winning it (Quick did it, Thomas did it, and of course Hasek, Roy, Brodeur and not that Quick and Thomas are even in that latter echelon, maybe Quick one day).

Well tomorrow is one of those moments. It's a moment that will either help towards the lifting of the veil of criticism for Lou, or just add to the weight that is already there. This is a moment of immense history in the story of the Vancouver Canucks.

We don't have the depth or size to match up well against San Jose. People can critisize view but I believe that. What that means, is that in order for us to advance, we need our goalie to steal the series. Tomorrow's game means the series. We either go down 2-0 or even up and if so, we're down to the best of 5 (home ice ignored).

Roberto Luongo needs to find greatness tomorrow. He needs to show that he can be as great as Roy, as great as Hasek, as great as Brodeur and will his team to a win. The way he did when he first came to Vancouver.

If he does, and he can carry us through this series, his reputation, regardless of whether Schnieds gets the crease back will be set as a man who fought through a great deal of mental challenges, found a way to lead a team that was outmatched, and stood on his head to steal a series. It may not be the cup but its the most important game left if we want to get there.

Go Lou, convince the doubters, convince me. Steal us the game, steal us the series, take back your name, your reputation, prove em wrong.SHow us that leadership, that competitive fire we know has always been in there, thats been pounded down, come out swinging.

Lets hope history is made.

Go Canucks Go!

Game two, Canucks vs Sharks.

The game Luongo stole, sparking the team's cup winning run. This is Luongo's time to shine, get on a roll and carry the team on his shoulders. He's got the experience, the talent, the fire in his belly, and now the opportunity.

luongo_closeup.jpg

I thought the entire team did very well and responded very well after the Sharks first power play. They did everything right, they made 1 mistake, and it costed them. The entire team including Luongo deserved better then that. I hope we smash the sharks face tommorow includuing Coutures. Man I can't stand that kids face.

Archived