The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo, Game 2 and History

BuretoMogilny

Luongo understands the importance of this Game 2, going into the best home building in the league down 0-2 is pretty much a guaranteed series-over.

However, even the best goalie in the league can't save a team that's playing this bad. The Canucks haven't played this badly since the 2008 season when they missed the playoffs. You look at a team like Ottawa that's getting stellar goaltending, but they feed off that performance by Anderson and score 3 unanswered goals to beat the Habs. Meanwhile, Luongo holds the Canucks in games as long as possible, they don't score and just decide to fold in on him.

Someone needs to step up for this club. Bieksa is showing he's built for the playoffs, now we need more playoff performers and it starts with our core. Lu and Bieksa are doing well - time for the Sedins, Kesler and Edler to step up and earn their big paychecks.

Yes we need our team to score BUT it is as big as importance that Luongo plays lights out,

Look at the LA series, Elliot held his team in the game only allow 1 goal. It was long enough to keep the game close and blues a chance to win it and guess what they did and not by scoring 3-4 goals a game.

Now look at OTT, Anderson stopped 48 of 50 shots and these were all high end scoring chance and he came up big for his team.

I don't want to blame Luo for game one, he played well, but every team has mistakes that create scoring chances. What separates teams for winning and losing is having their goalie come up with that big save, time and time again. Look at the top save % in playoffs, is it just a coincidence that the top 7 goalies all are on the winning sides.

It's playoffs, it's time for the whole team to step up their game, especially our highest paid player this year, and a .893 SA% is not cutting it. If Luongo wants to be considered an elite goalie it's time he plays like one. Time to earn that top end money.

We've all seen him play that way before, we know he can play like the best goalie in the league. We need him to come up big. People like to say he comes up big in big games, well tonight is a big game. I have a good feeling about tonight, so fingers

Yes we need our team to score BUT it is as big as importance that Luongo plays lights out,

Look at the LA series, Elliot held his team in the game only allow 1 goal. It was long enough to keep the game close and blues a chance to win it and guess what they did and not by scoring 3-4 goals a game.

Now look at OTT, Anderson stopped 48 of 50 shots and these were all high end scoring chance and he came up big for his team.

I don't want to blame Luo for game one, he played well, but every team has mistakes that create scoring chances. What separates teams for winning and losing is having their goalie come up with that big save, time and time again. Look at the top save % in playoffs, is it just a coincidence that the top 7 goalies all are on the winning sides.

It's playoffs, it's time for the whole team to step up their game, especially our highest paid player this year, and a .893 SA% is not cutting it. If Luongo wants to be considered an elite goalie it's time he plays like one. Time to earn that top end money.

We've all seen him play that way before, we know he can play like the best goalie in the league. We need him to come up big. People like to say he comes up big in big games, well tonight is a big game. I have a good feeling about tonight, so fingers

I think alot of responders are misunderstanding my post.

1. Lou was not at all to blame for game 1

2. We aren't scoring and I'm assuming bc of the size mismatch its going to be quite hard tonight and in this series (thats not his fault), and given the way we've scored in the playoffs in the last 11 games I don't see that trend changing.

3. Thus - we really NEED him to steal now. What that means is, the team in front of him aint scoring much, so only way we can win, is whatever we get, he's got to let in fewer.

4. No one in the hockey world is silly enough, if they have a brain, to see that we can't score in the playoffs. This is why, if this man can find it, can find what he brought to this team in 2006, he gets his resurection.

That's all. No one is saying Sedin's dont have to be better, Kesler, etc etc...I just don't think this team has the will right now and we need someone to lift them. If he can steal a few, perhaps he lifts them.

Listen man I agree with you.... an elite goalie has to make saves to keep his team in it and Luis save percentage wasn't god like as was

Anderson's last game

Or even hiller in game 1

Or quick in game 1

But I watched all three of those games... and other than game 1 of quick, I say with utmost confidence lui played just as well and made those timely saves.

The third goal I really think he should have had and I do put some blame on him as I was extremely disappointed.

But when you're coming into the third... home ice... game one... after years of disappointment ... THE LEAST you can do for your fans and the goalie that has kept the game tied is to get just ONE scoring chance in the third. The canucks simply did not.

And in those three games I referenced above, those goalies teams were still attacking and getting chances.

Either way it doesn't matter what we say. We must win tonight.

The twins have to rock rogers arena tonight.

To everyone telling me I'm stupid and an idiot, no one has explained their reasoning! Everyone is just saying that's stupid and dumb, well explain why at least! And yes, I try to find faults in lus game but it isn't that hard! Yes I am blaming more then I have to because I don't like him, but it is hard to not blame him at least a little bit. Yes the cannata idea is ridiculous, so if we lose game 2 and game 3 then we should try it, why not? What do we have to lose and it would give this kid some experience. And I understand hockey very well actually, goalies not so much but my reasoning is not completely off, I blew it out of proportion but I am right on the overall idea. He played good but the second and third goal were weak in my opinion. I hope we win tonight obviously but id rather schneider in net then luongo. I'm sure he will play good, but will he let in a softie at a bad time? And I hope he gets some goal support. I have a feeling were gunna win 3 to 2. And just so you know, I am a hardcore canucks fan who just really doesn't like luongo but I'm not denying he is a good goalie. But schneider is better.

To everyone telling me I'm stupid and an idiot, no one has explained their reasoning! Everyone is just saying that's stupid and dumb, well explain why at least! And yes, I try to find faults in lus game but it isn't that hard! Yes I am blaming more then I have to because I don't like him, but it is hard to not blame him at least a little bit. Yes the cannata idea is ridiculous, so if we lose game 2 and game 3 then we should try it, why not? What do we have to lose and it would give this kid some experience. And I understand hockey very well actually, goalies not so much but my reasoning is not completely off, I blew it out of proportion but I am right on the overall idea. He played good but the second and third goal were weak in my opinion. I hope we win tonight obviously but id rather schneider in net then luongo. I'm sure he will play good, but will he let in a softie at a bad time? And I hope he gets some goal support. I have a feeling were gunna win 3 to 2. And just so you know, I am a hardcore canucks fan who just really doesn't like luongo but I'm not denying he is a good goalie. But schneider is better.

It's posts like these that show we don't have to explain why you're wrong. I don't want to call anyone "stupid" for anything, so I won't call you that, but what I will say is that you tend to be a little ignorant when it comes to some of the factors of hockey l that you always preach about.

Hey I'm not blaming luo for game one. A couple of bounces our way in the second and we come out on top. I just think that the whole team and Luongo can elevate their game. We've all seen Luongo stop everything thrown at him, even the shots he has no business stopping (cambell in the CHI series game 1, or even Sharp in game 7). He's played games where chance after chance he's come up with the big save. We need that type of play from him.

I also disagree in the OTT game, The sens were getting dominated all game and Anderson was the only reason they were down by one going into the third. Habs had 50 shots on net, it wasn't until price let in the soft five hole goal to tie things up that gave the sens some life. Again not blaming Luo i just expect him to play lights out tonight, like i've seen him play many times before, He needs to be a wall tonight. I and think he will be.

Well, he was too slow to cover up, and also on top of that, he was on the ground, what a surprise! Get off the friggin ice! And one of his d men were not actually on top of him, I thought there could have been some goalie interference called actually but still. Luongo get off the ice don't just lay there in your natural position, don't be scared to change things up once in a while!

Archived