The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Sharks Who We Thought They Were?

BureisBest

Well any team at this point could play us and look like all-stars... The way we came out in game 1 was like watching a team just trying to kill the clock. Give the sharks credit but most of the credit is too the canucks who decided not to show up. We hit a few goal posts as well up high so SHOOT HIGH goddddd so many times we just passed off on prime shooting locations for nothing.

The sharks aren't that good. We give them way too much credit than they deserve. We beat them in 2011 and they were younger and better back then. For whatever reason our team just doesn't care. If only we played with some heart, we would sweep these scrubs in a heartbeat.

Let's put it this way, we played 1/3 of a game and the score was still only 3-1 and the third goal was a gift for them.

With a complete game played, like we did against Chicago not even two weeks ago in a meaningless game, we will win.

The Sharks are not the same team they were in the regular season. For better or worse, key trades were made (e.g., -Clowe, -Murray, +Torres, etc.,). They turned Defenseman Burns into a power forward and dropped high-scoring Pavelski to the third line (that has now produced like a first line). That did two things: first, it sped the team up considerably. Clowe and Murray were amazingly powerful bruisers (I hated to see them go), but they were the weakest links in terms of speed and puck possession and movement. All of that substantially changed a good part of the chemistry of the team going into the playoffs, and they are still trying to gel and find their rhythms. Even so, something about it obviously worked, as the Sharks had a 12-5-1 closing momentum-building run-up leading into the playoffs.

The Canucks, who lost all three games to the Sharks before the makeover, have noticed, abandoning a late-season attempt at loading up the second line with centers Derek Roy and Ryan Kesler together. Instead, each get a line of their own, with Roy dropping behind Henrik Sedin and Kesler on the depth chart to give the Canucks a 1-2-3 look up the middle that resembles the Sharks.

Going into this series, we were considered the favourites, because we are in the #3 spot, facing a #6 team, and subsequently because we have home-ice advantage.

This should, at the least, be considered more of a #4 vs. #5 match-up, as San Jose only finished the season 2 points behind our total, and played in a division much more challenging than ours.

In our soon-to-be-extinct Northwest Division, we had 3 of the worst 4 teams in the Western Conference (Colorado, Edmonton, Calgary). The other team (Minnesota), only got into the last spot of the playoffs by winning a tie-breaker with Columbus. When San Jose played those 4 teams from our division this year, they racked up a 9-3 record.

In SJ's Pacific Division, no team finished lower than #11 in the Western Conference, and they represent 3 of the top 6 West seeds in the playoffs (both stats eclipse our division and the Central division). When we played the other 4 teams from San Jose's division this year, (Anaheim, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Dallas) we racked up an average 6-6 record.

I think we can discern from those facts that if us and San Jose switched divisions (all other things equal, just looking at competition), they would likely be the #3 seed this year, if not #2.

In short, they played the best competition in the West all year, while we played the worst, and they still came within 2 points of our total.

Oh, and there's also these facts:

- We went 0-3 vs. the Sharks this year.

- They had the fewest home regulation losses in the entire NHL (only lost twice, Chicago lost three).

- They started the season 7-0.

- If you rank by points and not division winners, we would be the #5 seed and SJ remains #6.

They may be a #6 seed in this tournament, but we are playing one of the best teams in the NHL, and if they get on a roll, (and if Patrick Marleau gets on a roll), look out. The importance of game 2 on home-ice, before heading to the Shark Tank, cannot be overstated.

* To be fair I also want to point out that San Jose had the most regulation losses on the road (14) of any team in the playoffs (West and East). They managed to win game 1 in regulation in our rink, though, which has to be huge for their confidence.

The Sharks are not the same team they were in the regular season. For better or worse, key trades were made (e.g., -Clowe, -Murray, +Torres, etc.,). They turned Defenseman Burns into a power forward and dropped high-scoring Pavelski to the third line (that has now produced like a first line). That did two things: first, it sped the team up considerably. Clowe and Murray were amazingly powerful bruisers (I hated to see them go), but they were the weakest links in terms of speed and puck possession and movement. All of that substantially changed a good part of the chemistry of the team going into the playoffs, and they are still trying to gel and find their rhythms. Even so, something about it obviously worked, as the Sharks had a 12-5-1 closing momentum-building run-up leading into the playoffs.

My thought about this: The Canucks did not have the same time to adjust and gel to AV's changes, have been playing catchup trying to adjust, and it just wasn't enough in Game.

I do NOT believe in the brute force overly simplistic concept of "didn't show up". I think that's an insult to players who really do work their guts out only to have nothing to show for it in the end. I see only harder vs. smarter-and-better-coordinated play. I saw Canucks doing their DAMNEDEST -- FOR SIXTY FULL MINUTES -- trying to find their absolutely critical TEAM rhythm, without which no talent (save a hot goaltender or a Wayne Gretzky) can pull you through.

The Sharks and the Canucks ARE evenly matched. But that's depth and individual skill and speed, which has nothing to do with timing, coordination, rhythm and chemistry. So if the Canucks answer back and take Game 2 (convincingly), I will say that it was the result of finally finding their rhythm and gelling as a team (or as a line if just one line dominates). But the talent, skill, heart and "show-uptitude" was there all along.

Oh, and where both teams are concerned, nobody's underestimating anyone. These aren't ridiculously talent-laden dream teams (e.g., Pens now), but that doesn't mean they aren't both serious/deadly Cup contenders.

Going into this series, while I didn't think we should crown their asses, I had more respect for the Sharks than what I was seeing being given to them on CDC.

Plus I also thought their playing with lower expectations and pressure than the Canucks would be to their advantage. They're rebuilding hence have nothing to lose. Canucks meanwhile carry the weight of their closing window.

The Sharks are probably the most under-rated team going into the playoffs, along with Ottawa, and I could definately see a Sens-Sharks final developing.

After trading away Murray and Clowe everyone thought the Sharks were tanking, but they got Hannan and Torres in return who have produced and performed much better than the former.

The Sharks probably have the best 3 centers in the playoffs along with the Canucks - their 3rd line centers are even better than Sutter in Pittsburgh.

Plus, they have a Vezina-nominated goalie which is always a pre-requisite for a Cup contender.

The Blackhawks are getting pretty badly banged up, Anaheim and Detroit are exposing each other's weaknesses (goaltending) which leaves the Sharks, Canucks and Blues as my favourites to come out of the West.

Are they who I think they are? I dunno. Now I'm not so sure.

Is this going to be some kind of Scooby-Doo episode where we take the mask off of Joe Thornton and find out that he's actually Mr. Bennings the old hotel manager trying to scare everyone off their property so he can develop the land?

Archived