The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gryba gets 2 games for Eller hit

Ference was obvious intent to injure. The NHL hockey I have known is changing. Hitting is being taken out of the game. I grew up watching 180 pounders play and now there are 235 pounders. There was a time when players were able to defend themselves but I am afraid the game is going European where it will all be stick work and players dropping in hopes of a ref's call. I do not know what to think but I do know my interest in NHL hockey is not what it was even 2 years ago. How ironic. NHL players today are the best I have ever seen in decades of watching. Perhaps that is why a Lars Eller took that blind side pass. To be competitive he has to no matter what the physical risk to himself. Does this mean players will skate around with their heads down all the time?

ON TOP of it all, Ference was NOT penalized on the play (But only gets 1 game). Where as MTL got a 5 min power play, which they used to take the lead at one point in the game...so on top of that, he also gets a 2 game suspension.

You're really that surprised?

I'm actually surprised, everyone here is surprised.

Did anyone watch the cup finals where we played Boston? (It's a facetious question, relax). They got away with everything. Marchand was literally allowed to use Hank's head as a speed bag. It isn't a conspiracy. It never was. Teams like the Bruins, and Rangers get away with stuff.

He received a penalty for roughing and was kicked out of the game. What else do you want to do? You can't suspend Marchand for punching Sedin with his glove on. Sedin easily could have walked away or punched back.

I'm interested to see the Shanaban video on this one. It looks to me like Eller's head/face was hit before the rest of his body, and maybe they have more camera angles.

Either way, what a crappy pass by Diaz.

this league has become such a joke...that was a good hit to bad Eller got hurt but its like the NFL/CFL suspending db's for hitting WR crossing the middle for the ball....absolute crap call.

Archived