The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gryba gets 2 games for Eller hit

I never said it wasn't possible in general, but no way was that hit hard enough to knock a guy unconscious unless there was direct contact with the head/face. Otherwise, the pads and body would have taken the brunt of the impact and kept much of its energy from being transferred to the head.

Remember, this was two people wearing the same equipment and of relatively the same stature colliding. (They are listed as being only 2 inches apart in height and only 13 pounds apart in weight.) if the entire impact were shoulder to shoulder it should be transferred to both relatively equally. Even with Gryba having the advantage Eller doesn't of knowing the hit is coming and having the chance to prepare for it, no way does the hit cause one to get a concussion and lose consciousness while the other doesn't.

Actually, while watching the video a few more times I can actually see the NHL's point that the head was the principle point of contact. If you look at the impact, immediately after the hit Eller's head snaps back but his position on the ice doesn't change, indicating that he took the majority of the force of the hit to the head/face. Rather than being pushed away by the force of the hit, he simply drops to the ice unconscious. Gryba, on the other hand, is pushed sideways by the force of the impact, clearly indicating that he took the full impact in his body.

The only thing not clean about the hit was that is was not the perfect body check they kind of glanced off each other the reason he spun around and hit his face into the ice.

would have been a clean hit as in a real solid body check if he hit him square in the shoulder and sent him flying 10 feet backwards.

there was nothing illegal about the play only thing i get out of this judgment is turn your head so you can't see anyone about to hit you and skate as hard as you can into the offensive zone. if anyone hits you they will be suspended because you were in a vulnerable position ....

I hate how they are taking hitting out of the game pretty soon it is gonna be like the all-star game in game 7 of the SCF's...

I felt the same way about the Rome hit, we see dozens of later hits every game, he lays out one of the most beautiful body checks i have ever witnessed in the SCF's a half a second late if that ( i always thought they got to the count of three to finish a hit?) and gets tossed just so we lose depth on our already depthless injured D core and have no chance at the cup after that.

absolutely disgusting . NHL is horrible.

sucks the guy got hurt but that is why they make so much damn money they are risking themselves on the ice every game accept that risk and play hard.

I'm not sure that you understood my point. The equipment they were wearing is irrelevant. It was the impact of the brain to the inside of the skull that caused the problem.

I also don't follow your logic of the head snapping back = the head being the principal point of contact. You are familiar with whiplash, as you not?

Seriously? How are you going to argue that there was no head contact when the guy was obviously knocked unconscious? That doesn't happen from a hard shoulder hit, especially one in which the other guy barely moves. Argue whether or not it was clean, but there's absolutely no argument to be made that there was no head contract at all!

The one thing I can see with their reasoning is how despite making more contact to the body around the hips, Gryba misses most of Eller's shoulder and slides past to hit the head. If Gryba hits through the shoulder (like in Hansen did in his hit on Galiardi) and then makes contact with the head after that would have made it ok.

I just compared this too Romes hit in the Final and I'm shocked, I'm not calling this a bad hit because in my mind it was a solid check and Diaz should be the one suspended for that brutal pass. But common 2 games? considering he actually hit the head HOW THE frack DID ROME GET 4?

I have yet to see any video evidence that the head was a point of contact .. as someone said, when your brain is going one way at high speed and then it gets stopped, it compresses against skull .. many concussions occur this way without there ever being any contact to the head .. which is why so many football players have serious concussion problems despit any hits to the head itself ..

If neither player was hit in the head, explain why one got knocked unconscious and got a concussion and the other, who's brain should have been subjected to a very similar amount of force, did not. Explain why one player's head snapped back but his body was not moved by the force whereas the other guy's body was moved by the force but his head was not.

If two cars collide in a head on hit, both cars are moved and damaged similarly, especially when their speed and make are similar. If two players of similar stature and going at similar speeds collide both should be moved similarly by the impact. If one player's head is all that is moved, his head was hit.

You did not get all of the green poop out of yer system either then, laddie .. some remains in either yer eyes or yer brain .. that was a clean hit - period!! .. vulnerable player must tip that pass while keeping his head up .. NHL makes a mockery of their own rules .. Shanahan is a tool of the NHL power elite ..

It is not what is done, it is who does it and to whom .. if Wee Duncan the D-bag Keith throws that check, he wins the Norris .. League is more of a joke every season it seems

Archived