The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gryba gets 2 games for Eller hit

Apparently there was a rule against that hit, rule 48, and the two game suspension is proof enough that the NHL knows how to enforce the rules, and I've been knowledgable about hockey since you were pooping green.

Apparently there was a rule against that hit, rule 48, and the two game suspension is proof enough that the NHL knows how to enforce the rules, and I've been knowledgable about hockey since you were pooping green.

Watched the league video and am ok with the suspension and the overall assessment.

The snap of the head at the moment of contact presumably is the reason why the league states the head is the principle point of contact - hard to argue.

Watched the league video and am ok with the suspension and the overall assessment.

The snap of the head at the moment of contact presumably is the reason why the league states the head is the principle point of contact - hard to argue.

I don't get their rationale. The should be suspending dirty hits based on the potential to cause significant injury.

If its a dirty hit with significant injury then sure throw the book at them. But They let these very dirty hits slide just because they don't result in any significant damage and that is backwards.

How Duncan Keith didnt miss any playoff time for his elbow to Sedin late last season will always be a mystery to me.

Seriously? How are you going to argue that there was no head contact when the guy was obviously knocked unconscious? That doesn't happen from a hard shoulder hit, especially one in which the other guy barely moves. Argue whether or not it was clean, but there's absolutely no argument to be made that there was no head contract at all!

Seriously? How are you going to argue that there was no head contact when the guy was obviously knocked unconscious? That doesn't happen from a hard shoulder hit, especially one in which the other guy barely moves. Argue whether or not it was clean, but there's absolutely no argument to be made that there was no head contract at all!

Disgusted by Prust's comments. So he resorts to making fun of Maclean's appearance because he doesn't have anything else to fall back on? That has zero relevance to what Maclean said at all, and its a low blow. It wasn't a hit to the head, and I can't understand how every single person from the Habs organization can keep calling it that... his head snapped back from the impact of the hit to his body, not from a punch or an elbow. The inconsistency in these decisions is just mind-boggling sometimes.

NHL = No Hit League. Lots of fun. Might as well start watching figure skating.

My take: incidental contact to the head was made, but was not the primary point of contact. No doubt the whiplash action coupled with incidental contact to the head made Eller dazed and confused, but based on what the Habs trainers have said, it was the contact with the ice that caused the facial injuries. Wish for a speedy recovery for Eller...suspension doled out to Gryba is a travesty of justice. Shame on Shanny and his crew.

And that Dustin Brown...what a dirty muddaphukka. I am hoping Backes ragdolls him like Doaner did, but it looks like Backes is not 100%.

You can be knocked unconcious without contact to the head being made.

When Eller is skating in one direction, his brain is moving in the same direction, at the same speed.

When Gryba hits him, his forward momentum is arrested in a very sudden manner. The brain, still under that forward momentum, impacts the inside of the skull, causing a concussion and also in some cases, a loss of conciouness...

Archived