The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What might have been

JamesB

A lot of people are pretty negative about MG right now. I think that is a bit tough but I would like to review (with all the accuracy of hindsight) what I think were the five biggest mistakes he has made. (All GMs make mistakes in hindsight, and I am not saying I know better, but these are moves that could easily have gone the other way.)

1. Trading a first round pick and Grabner (a former first rounder) for Ballard and Oreskovich. Grabner was on the verge of being a solid top 6 forward. His 16 goals this year are more than Canuck. Ballard, despite a cap hit of over $4 million cannot even crack the line-up and rates below a career depth D (Alberts) and a guy playing junior 3 weeks ago. Would love to have Grabner now, not to mention a first round pick who might also in the top 6 by now.

2. Letting Salo and Torres walk when they wanted to stay and would have taken low salaries. After the 2010-2011 season they both want two year deals but MG would not bite. Big mistake. Would love to have those guys on the team now and they were willing to accept below market salaries.

3. Trading Hodgson for Kassian. This year Hodgson scored 15 goals -- also more than anyone on the Canucks. Kassian might still become good, but right now he is a 4th liner. H. is another top 6 forward MG basically gave away.

4. Letting Ehrhoff walk. He probably would stayed for maybe $5.1 million. Could have kept him if we had not picked up Ballard. Had 23 pts this year and led Buffalo in plus/minus. And maybe we would not have had the cap room to pick up Booth, whose cap hit of over 4 million has been a complete waste.

5. Keeping AV too long. No longer has the ear of the players. A pretty good coach, but a change is needed.

Undo these moves and I have the Canucks as this year's Cup favorite. Same top 4 D and Ehrhoff and Salo as well! And a much better top 9 forward group.

I admit a similar exercise could be done for other teams. But is interesting (to me at least) to consider how things might have gone.

Torres and Ehrhoff are the only onces i agree with.

Garrison > Salo.

Salo wasn't a stabilizer for Edler by the way, just so everyone knows.. Edler was paired with Salo against LA and he played just as crapty as tonight.

Garrison > Salo.

Salo wasn't a stabilizer for Edler by the way, just so everyone knows.. Edler was paired with Salo against LA and he played just as crapty as tonight.

Garrison > Salo.

MG had his hand forced on the Hodgson move.

He had no chance keeping Ehrhoff - the guy wanted the big bucks so screw him.

Same can be said of Salo, and MG does the right thing to get Garrison back, who's far better physically ,defensively and has a much better shot than Sami.

Letting Torres and Bitz go were IMO the two big losses - we lost a lot of toughness and skill up front right there, and instead MG replaces them with Roy who really hasn't done anything special so far.

The Grabner move in hindsight is terrible, but at the time MG was bolstering our pathetic defence and it seemed like the wise decision.

The same can be said for getting Booth here.

Essentially, if everyone played to their potential we'd have a 30 goal scorer (Booth), a 70 point 3rd line center (Roy), a stable 30 point D-man (Ballard) along with a 16-goal scorer (Garrison), but right now no one on this entire team is playing to their potential.

Hate to say it, and as much of an AV fan as I am, but when players aren't playing to their full potential it's the coach's responsibility. It's their job to get the most out of every one of their players, and right now AV simply isn't doing that.

A lot of people are pretty negative about MG right now. I think that is a bit tough but I would like to review (with all the accuracy of hindsight) what I think were the five biggest mistakes he has made. (All GMs make mistakes in hindsight, and I am not saying I know better, but these are moves that could easily have gone the other way.)

1. Trading a first round pick and Grabner (a former first rounder) for Ballard and Oreskovich. Grabner was on the verge of being a solid top 6 forward. His 16 goals this year are more than Canuck. Ballard, despite a cap hit of over $4 million cannot even crack the line-up and rates below a career depth D (Alberts) and a guy playing junior 3 weeks ago. Would love to have Grabner now, not to mention a first round pick who might also in the top 6 by now.

2. Letting Salo and Torres walk when they wanted to stay and would have taken low salaries. After the 2010-2011 season they both want two year deals but MG would not bite. Big mistake. Would love to have those guys on the team now and they were willing to accept below market salaries.

3. Trading Hodgson for Kassian. This year Hodgson scored 15 goals -- also more than anyone on the Canucks. Kassian might still become good, but right now he is a 4th liner. H. is another top 6 forward MG basically gave away.

4. Letting Ehrhoff walk. He probably would stayed for maybe $5.1 million. Could have kept him if we had not picked up Ballard. Had 23 pts this year and led Buffalo in plus/minus. And maybe we would not have had the cap room to pick up Booth, whose cap hit of over 4 million has been a complete waste.

5. Keeping AV too long. No longer has the ear of the players. A pretty good coach, but a change is needed.

Undo these moves and I have the Canucks as this year's Cup favorite. Same top 4 D and Ehrhoff and Salo as well! And a much better top 9 forward group.

I admit a similar exercise could be done for other teams. But is interesting (to me at least) to consider how things might have gone.

Out of all those deals I really wish we had Grabner and Ehrhoff. If we would've known that AV hated Ballard we'd have a legit 2nd line scorer right now. Ehrhoff brought great mobility off of the rush and he can QB a PP. Imagine him with the Sedins, Kes and Garrison, that would make the best PP in the NHL. Much more useful then having Edler here. Btw, Garrison>Salo.

MG had his hand forced on the Hodgson move.

He had no chance keeping Ehrhoff - the guy wanted the big bucks so screw him.

Same can be said of Salo, and MG does the right thing to get Garrison back, who's far better physically ,defensively and has a much better shot than Sami.

Letting Torres and Bitz go were IMO the two big losses - we lost a lot of toughness and skill up front right there, and instead MG replaces them with Roy who really hasn't done anything special so far.

The Grabner move in hindsight is terrible, but at the time MG was bolstering our pathetic defence and it seemed like the wise decision.

The same can be said for getting Booth here.

Essentially, if everyone played to their potential we'd have a 30 goal scorer (Booth), a 70 point 3rd line center (Roy), a stable 30 point D-man (Ballard) along with a 16-goal scorer (Garrison), but right now no one on this entire team is playing to their potential.

Hate to say it, and as much of an AV fan as I am, but when players aren't playing to their full potential it's the coach's responsibility. It's their job to get the most out of every one of their players, and right now AV simply isn't doing that.

Archived