The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future of the Vancouver Canucks pending another 1st round exit

six-0h-four-

When was the last time this core came back from a 2-0 deficit... Not saying it can't happen(because I believe we have enough talent to make it happen) but it won't, because no one fires their coaching staff half way through a playoff series...

on the bright side some of the canucks young players have really stepped up and look very good.

it looks like kassian has started to take his game to the next level. Hopefully when paired with the twins next season we see a meteoric rise in his play which would allow us a much more balanced attack.

jordan schroeder dominated the AHL after his demotion would love to see him play on a line of burrows-schroeder-kesler

corrado/tanev steady as she goes both very good young defenseman and we have plenty more coming up soon in tommernes and anderrson.

gaunce looks like he could be a powerful 3rd line centre as early as next year. If he is ready a line of higgins-gaunce-hansen would be very hard to play against. More likely though he is 2-3years away and the canucks will sign Roy or another centre for this line.

Things arent as doom and gloom as they appear, especially if they get a good return for a goalie (who knows which one they will trade at this point)

Are the canucks going to be a powerhouse in the next 2-3 years? absolutely not but they will be a competitive 3-6placing team in the west and we all know what can happen if a team gets hot at the right time.

it looks like kassian has started to take his game to the next level.

What level is that? He didn't cost us a goal last game I guess that's an improvement.

jordan schroeder dominated the AHL after his demotion would love to see him play on a line of burrows-schroeder-kesler

Shroeder hasn't shown anything at NHL level either.

corrado/tanev steady as she goes both very good young defenseman

Both look good, but our problem is scoring goals which neither of these guys do.

I wouldnt want draft picks if AV is around. The last 1st round draft pick we had who developed was Kesler. If sedins stay they need a huge pay cut and move to the 2nd line. Move kesler up and get him a legitimate 1st liner to play with. Ballard, play him or move him.

okay ill bite,

kassian has clearly upped his compete level in the playoffs. He looked dangerous on a few shifts with the twins and that 4th line almost scored a few goals with ebbett and weise last night.

Schroeder stepped in and put up .3PPG pace at times playing with weise and whoever else. When he got to play with offensive players (hansen,raymond) he actually played very well. He has shown he has the skill/speed and defensive awareness to be an NHL player and for a rookie that is a good start.

the fact that you think that defenseman that move the puck out effortlessly from their own zone dont help the offense makes me chuckle.

Gillis has done some good things, some bad. More bad than good the last two years. He probably gets one more year to begin a retool (not rebuild) of this team. I wouldn't complain if he was let go though. I really don't like the sideshow this team started becoming under his direction the last year.

Time to move on from AV. Most coaches have a shelf life before their message becomes stale not to mention the team and fans (myself included) seem to be growing tired of his curious decisions. He also adds to the sideshow.

Used to be one of Edler's biggest supporters but his constant lack of focus and foolish decisions are not going away and actually seem to be becoming more frequent. This may be a dream but I would do anything in my power to retain Shea Weber (Edler, 1st and prospect of Nashville's choice) whatever it takes.

Booth/Ballard are the obvious buyout candidates to clear cap space (though signing those two buyout cheques for close to $6mil might also sign Gillis' pink slip). Raymond's, Roy's, Manny's, Lapierre's and Alberts's contracts are also up and I would guess they're as good as gone. (maybe Max stays for a mil but that's all I can see on the roster next year).

At least Luongo's play is driving his price back up a bit so that's a bit of a plus. Maybe we can regain some of the assets that we'll have to move to acquire a player of elite status (preferably a defenceman).

Sedin's are consummate professionals and truly world class people. They have done so much for the team and city of Vancouver. I am against moving them unless its something they want which I don't see happening. They have earned the right to play out the last year of their contract. Perhaps they will sign short term deals for much less next year. Vancouver can start the transition from the Sedins as the faces of our team to complimentary players. If deals like that are not something they're interested in, it may be time to part ways as sad as it is.

Free agent pool is extremely thin this year so spend the money smartly on one or two year deals and see how the team responds to a new coaching staff. If it's clear next year that its not going to happen with this group. It might be time to start moving some other staples of this team (Bieksa, Burrows, Higgins etc.) and getting back some youthful talent via trade or 2014 free agent class.

I don't think the team will look much differently next year due to cap issues but a new coach, perhaps a new GM and big name acquisition to replace Edler (Weber please) would be enough. If not, this team should look completely different for the 2014-2015 season.

Win or lose... I think this offseason is all about the re-tool... Looking at the roster, theres no reason this team cant remain competitive, or at least as good as theyve been this season, but with a few additions, subtractions, breakout performances, and possible upgrades, there is still a squad here that can contend given the circumstances.

Luongo is out.

Roy is out.

Ballard is out.... The only amnesty buyout imo.

Raymond is out.

Ebbett is out.

Booth is ?... Im not sure that Van will need to trade him since there should be multipul entry level deals added to the roster, and I really doubt he'll be bought out as he has physical attributes that can still be usefull. I also think he may help to lure Weiss should Van look that direction. I wouldnt count out the possibility of another team having interest, more likley in a package type deal, or a pure salary dump... but I really dont think buyout is an option for Gillis in this case.

Alex Edler.... Id be shopping Alex. There'd be lots of interest from teams like Philly, or a potential package deal to land the much coveted Shea Weber. This team needs a considerable shake up, whiich means having to part with quality in order to obtain quality. His NTC doesnt come into effect untill July, and I truley think that he is the most likley player of value to sacrifice, especially given the emergence of right handed shots in Tanev and Corrado, Garrison may be able to pick up Alex's spot and PP duties.

The twins are here untill they retire. Kesler would only be traded if we went into re-build. Lapierre likley re-signed. The D-core is mostly set with NMC's.

Hansen is not a player we want or need to get rid of, but depending on what direction we head, he would be an attractive role player for teams with limited cap space, heading into the last year of his deal. He's not top 6 material imo, and we have developing players that could use those 3rd line minutes, a more well suited development spot for Kassian or Jensen, rather than jumping from lines 2 to 4.

What Im hoping to see happen.... Breakouts form our younger players, and a blockbuster to land Shea Weber. (In this case I offered Edler, Booth, and Schroeder.... Id add a 1st round pick if needed).... I then traded Lui and Hansen to Florida for Versteeg and their 2013 2nd round pick (32nd overall)

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Kris Versteeg ($4.400m)

Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.088m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Maxim Lapierre ($1.100m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Shea Weber ($7.857m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Chris Tanev ($1.800m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,258,254; BONUSES: $177,500

CAP SPACE (18-man roster): $3,041,746

Just over 3M to solidify the 4th line, and add defensive depth (re-sign Alberts?). This lineup could have a kid line with nice blend of size and skill, and plenty of veteran leadership to help them break in. Versteeg gives us a top 6 playmaker for Kesler. Weber gives us a monster franchise D-man, and a massive PP weapon.

Even with the question marks in the bottom 6, that back end and goaltending is solid enough to make up for the inevitable gaffs and inconsistency. I believe that this is a route they must take to move the team forward, and get their young players ready for the post Sedin era.

Alex Edler.... Id be shopping Alex. There'd be lots of interest from teams like Philly, or a potential package deal to land the much coveted Shea Weber. This team needs a considerable shake up, whiich means having to part with quality in order to obtain quality. His NTC doesnt come into effect untill July, and I truley think that he is the most likley player of value to sacrifice,

The twins are here untill they retire. Kesler would only be traded if we went into re-build. Lapierre likley re-signed. The D-core is mostly set with NMC's.

Hansen is not a player we want or need to get rid of, but depending on what direction we head, he would be an attractive role player for teams with limited cap space, heading into the last year of his deal. He's not top 6 material imo, and we have developing players that could use those 3rd line minutes, a more well suited development spot for Kassian or Jensen, rather than jumping from lines 2 to 4.

What Im hoping to see happen.... Breakouts form our younger players, and a blockbuster to land Shea Weber. (In this case I offered Edler, Booth, and Schroeder.... Id add a 1st round pick if needed).... I then traded Lui and Hansen to Florida for Versteeg and their 2013 2nd round pick (32nd overall)

okay ill bite,

kassian has clearly upped his compete level in the playoffs. He looked dangerous on a few shifts with the twins and that 4th line almost scored a few goals with ebbett and weise last night.

Schroeder stepped in and put up .3PPG pace at times playing with weise and whoever else. When he got to play with offensive players (hansen,raymond) he actually played very well. He has shown he has the skill/speed and defensive awareness to be an NHL player and for a rookie that is a good start.

the fact that you think that defenseman that move the puck out effortlessly from their own zone dont help the offense makes me chuckle.

We can offer the Sedins second line salary, however the problem is that other teams would offer more. This team definitely needs to start filling the prospect pool again though as a backup plan. At the moment it doesn't feel as though the current core can win a cup.

The best way to avoid becoming Calgary? Develop prospects, hands down. The Flames were never able to do that, and that's why everything dried up and sputtered. Over the past few years we've traded Grabner, Hodgson, and Shirokov, and unfortunately lost Luc Bourdon (R.I.P.). Our prospect pool isn't very deep, and its important some of our young players start getting a shot at proving themselves. Tanev and Corrado are a good start, and now its time to add Schroeder, Gaunce, and Jensen to the mix, with lower-tier prospects like Lain, Blomstrand, Tommernes, Polasek, etc given a chance to break in during future training camps. Adding another good prospect/young player in the Luongo/Schneider trade would be fantastic.

Luongo (retain a million in salary)

Raymond

Schroeder

Matthias

Gudbranson

Then

Ballard

Suave

Carolin 2ndx2

Then

Booth

Van 1st

Carolina 2nd x2

Matthias

Foligno

Dubinsky (close to home state of Alaska, prob fly family out)

Fire AV and Gillis

Burke in, Pat QUinn in

Folgino Kesler Kassian

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Higgins Dubinsky Burrows

Sestito Lapierre Jensen

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Gudbranson

Alberts Corrado

Schneider

Canata

New era of Sedins at 3 million a year and everyone in their prime for 4 more years.

I think gillis will resign than be fired. He's a lawyer. and reigns given to gilman...not that gilman will be any better.

Ownership will fire The entire coaching staff... By Friday.

Burke will never return here but Nicholson, ruff, or Babcock will be lured here...

Ballard, flop on my belly luongo, Alberts, Roy, Raymond, weise, ebbett, booth, and one of Edler or bieksa will all be gone.

Archived