The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future of the Vancouver Canucks pending another 1st round exit

six-0h-four-

Mike Gillis isn't an idiot. He knows enough about hockey and the Vancouver Canucks to know that after every year, this version of the Vancouver Canucks' chances to win the Stanley Cup are going down by a significant amount.

I think we can all agree that another first round exit would induce some profound changes to the organization, starting from the ground up. Coach AV and his crew would probably all be gone, talks would start about the Sedins not producing, Kesler's injury woes, so on and so forth.

I think the "core" of the team, which isn't getting any younger, may be starting to pass it's prime, and the team needs to start obtaining assets to rekindle a new "core". This starts with the goalie situation. Luongo's first two games (as well as last year's Kings series on a whole) have shown goaltending isn't the problem, it is in fact a strong point. Trading a much younger Schnieder would provide a way better return, some probable first round picks, and a viable prospect or two. This may not be what we want, but it may be something we have to do... We have two highly tauted AHL goalies right now in Lack and Cannata, and Lu would be a great mentor to one of these guys until he's ready to retire.

The Sedins have 1 year left on their contract, which is about the time we make them the best second line players in the league. (or near the top, at least) They have stated several times that they want to finish their careers in Vancouver, and I'm sure would sign for much less than thier $6.1 million salary they make now. Some would argue to truly change our "core" we should let them walk. I am wholeheartedy against that approach.

So where do we get other assets from? Even if we buyout/trade Ballard/Booth, we still don't have much wiggle room in regards to the salary cap. We still need to re-sign Chris Tanev, and a bunch of other contracts are up as well. (Raymond, Lapierre, etc) It looks like we still might need to trade at least some of our own assets (maybe a defensemen and a forward) that we don't want to trade, but is neccesary for our team in the long run. We need to eventually get some high round draft picks, as our junior pool is withering slowly.

We do not want to be the Calgary Flames of 7 years ago. Multiple first round exits leading into 10th place finishes the following 5 years, until they finally decide to rebuild. I think that we can do this mini-rebuild while still competing for the playoffs.

Even if the Canucks' go on to beat the Sharks (which I still think they can do) this is still a process that needs to happen. Noone can beat father time, the Vancouver Canucks included.

Let Raymond walk, he was good to start the season but he hasn't done anything in the last month. We should re-sign Lappy, don't have enough $$$ for Roy so either Schroeder or Gaunce should get a chance as 3C.

Jensen should be on the team next year, sink or swim.

Ebbett......

Get rid of Ballard, not that he's a bad player but his cap hit is too high and he's in AV's doghouse (although AV should be fired anyway)

Booth has shown flashes but at 4+ million he has to do more than that. Trade him.

the future of this team is a return to the 80's.

It is almost fitting that we are going back to a similar divisional alignment as was in place then.

we are going return to being the oilers whipping boy and are going to be looking up at them in the standings as we find ourselves outside of the playoffs looking in year after year. we might get to play for the cup again in another 15 years but it seems that the number of years between cup appearances for us has been increasing rather than decreasing.

I believe if we need to make some changes on the roster. Overhaul Philly Flyers style. Trade Edler, Raymond, Bieksa, as his coverage sucked crap on that 2 on1, despite Edlers screw up. Flame me for all I care, but I would do Edler straight up for Ehrhoff right now!

Gillis should get the frack out of here and given the boot as well. He is also responsible for much of this mess (letting key contributors walk or traded away for players who had not worked out here at all). A lot of money is tied up in large contracts that simply are not very good.

If you look at how this money is being spent compared to the playoff performance on the ice, it is enough to make the owners very unhappy hopefully.

Losing 6 straight home playoff games in a row is a ???? embarrassment. The owners will kick out AV and Gillis, guarantee that.

Why can't we fire the coach during the playoffs? Though I agree that we won't, we should!

At this point it doesn't really matter. It's not like av is doing anything to guide them anyway, so why not just get pat oneill to just govern the line changes and let the players play? Sink or swim, just let them play.

what the canucks need to do is integrate their young players into core roles and FORCE the veterans to teach and carry them.

Look at Chicago, they put Saad up with toews/kane and left him there all year, the kid had bad games, bad weeks, but they stuck with him and he learned and evolved. What that allowed them to do was create a more dangerous 2nd line and by extension 3rd line. "balance" is the name of the game in the nhl now.

what the canucks need to do is integrate their young players into core roles and FORCE the veterans to teach and carry them.

Look at Chicago, they put Saad up with toews/kane and left him there all year, the kid had bad games, bad weeks, but they stuck with him and he learned and evolved. What that allowed them to do was create a more dangerous 2nd line and by extension 3rd line. "balance" is the name of the game in the nhl now.

AV has to go. He's a good coach, but it's quite clear that he's overstayed his welcome.

We need a resurgence of something. This group is getting stale.

Start bringing up youth and try and compete for the SC in a couple of years.

Jensen, Corrado, Tanev, Schroeder, Gaunce should all be in the line up next season if we get bounced in the 1st round.

Gillis should get the frack out of here and given the boot as well. He is also responsible for much of this mess (letting key contributors walk or traded away for players who had not worked out here at all). A lot of money is tied up in large contracts that simply are not very good.

If you look at how this money is being spent compared to the playoff performance on the ice, it is enough to make the owners very unhappy hopefully.

Losing 6 straight home playoff games in a row is a ???? embarrassment. The owners will kick out AV and Gillis, guarantee that.

Archived