The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The REAL problem with this team.

Live.&.Die.Nucks

He moves the puck just fine, and skates just fine. I think Garrison is better because he handles big minutes, handles bigger opponents, plays better defense, exc. And can be extremely valuable on the PP with that big shot.

I feel that the real problem with this team is that they just don't have enough "FIRE" in them. Clear and simple. If they're that good and they really want to win so badly, then why the hell us fans can't "FEEL" it? Intensity and determination are just not something anyone can fake, that's all.

I miss Ehrhoff's speed as well, but other than in the last time we faced SJ, he made very little difference in the playoffs. Any offense created was countered by big minuses.

Still, i kinda miss that dynamic speed. And yes, so do the Sedins.

There are two real problems:

1) that 0.5 second between the regular season pace and playoff pace makes a huge difference in how the canucks play. The canucks don't have a higher gear while most teams do. I do not consider them a fast team relative to most of their opposition. This makes them look better than they are.

2) canucks cup run year was a year where they played teams that lost depth due to poor salary cap management. In that year though despite the competitive advantage they still almost lost to the hawks in 7 games and spent too much time screwing around against the preds. That advantage is gone because the other teams figured out how to build their teams in the new NHL.

Gillis and AV look better than they really are. I would say especially AV because there's no freakin way the canucks should have lost so badly to the hawks. Even in that year's regular season he was uptight about resting players. That uptight nature carries through to the team plus the ego they get for having regular season success makes them feel they are contenders when they really aren't. I'd say a good coach would make a massive difference plus adding some better offensive players.

Ehrhoff sucked against the bruins in game 7 of the cup run year and was too soft. It's really top down management/coaching that's the issue.

The real problem with this team is our secondary players haven't been clutch when we needed them to. We don't seem to bury the breakaways or 2 on 1s like other teams seem to do routinely. How many times have we seen Higgins or Hansen (2 good players for us usually) flub a breakaway or 2 on 1. I love Hansen, but if he buried that empty netter from past half way we woulda tied the series. In tight games like this sometimes you only get one shot. Our first 3 home games against Boston seemed even tighter than these first two but guys like Burrows, lappy and Torres delivered when they had to to get us 3 wins.

Don't agree, Sami is the one who's missed more than anyone. Ehrhoff had blunders and could be very disinterested at times...sure, at times, he was awesome but there wasn't consistency that you could rely on.

I believe the poor officiating during our run really had this team question themselves and left a feeling of hopelessness that completely deflated them for a time. If you can't fire back and others are allowed to subject you to the humiliation and cheap shots without any chance to retaliate (because the theme was "NO, you're not allowed"), it's a little demoralizing.

They have taken awhile to deal with the mental blows and devastation....you lack energy and incentive when you feel defeated. I relate it to a PTS type thing.

They're getting older and I think it's hard for them to find that drive again...they're not young, eager guys and the brotherhood that they were - they're fathers and focuses change a bit. But I also don't think they're done just yet.

I didn't say he skated better or transitioned better. I said he was fine at both.

And your right, the only leagues Ehrhoff plays the same minutes Garrison does would be in Europe or the AHL.

Not to pick on the OP, but so many threads today all about people who think they know how to run this team better than the people paid to do it. Everyone has to have their say because they're frustrated. Know what I did because I was frustrated? I got outside and took the dogs for a long, long walk in the nice weather.

Then I came back to relax and found the board is just as crazy as when I checked last night and again this morning. Nothing we do will change the outcome of this series, so let's just all relax.

As far as Ehrhoff, Gillis offered him a deal similar to Bieksa's and he didn't take it. That's not our fault. Should we throw a bigger deal at him like he's the be all and end all of this team? Nope, not a chance.

I think I'll go back outside.

Archived