The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next summer (2014) Malkin becomes a Free agent. Now I know this sounds stupid as he is part of the core in Pitt, and has many years left in his prime. What I was thinking though, is Pittburgh has proven time and again that they can win without him, even without him and Crosby for long periods of time. Now next season at trade deadline, or draft day, Pittsburgh could move Malkin, the price would be massive, think 2 first round draft picks, maybe more, an A level prospect and probably a depth roster player. By making such a move they could build for the future while still retaining one of the leagues most feared offences. Pittsburgh drafts good and develops prospects good, I think if he were traded to a team that would draw Pittsburgh a top ten pick for 2 years in a row this would help ensure dominance for years to come.

And since I am always thinking of Shea Weber, imagine Weber in a Pens jersey. I would love to see the guy in Calgary too, but I doubt he would go there lol.

What do you guys think, make a big move to allow Pittsburgh to re-fill the prospect drawer?

I'm a huge Pitt fan and I agree that he would fetch a couple of 1sts but I don't think Pitt lets him go. He's the second coming of Jaromir Jagr in Pitt and you have to pay that kind of talent the big $ and fill in the rest of your team with what you have left.

It's not that farfetched what the OP neglected to add was the other upcoming UFA for Pittsburgh.

2014 Penguins UFA List

- Evgeni Malkin (8.7)

- Kris Letang (3.5)

- Chris Kunitz (3.725)

- Brooks Orpik (3.75)

- Matt Niskanen (2.6)

- Brandon Sutter (2.067 as a RFA)

- Jussi Jokinen (3.00)

*They have more RFA but those are the most noteworthy.

Also remember this years crop is pretty big too..

- Iginla

- Morrow

- Dupuis (only makes 1.5 mill scoring 45 goals in the last 130 games and 20 in his last 48)

- Cooke

- Kennedy

- Murray

- Adams

- Jeffrey

Plus don't forget they already traded away numerous draft picks and some prospects for this cup push, they have a very mediocre looking farm crop on paper (and despite what the OP said they are not a very good talent developing team as almost every drafted penguin on the roster was a top 5 pick which isn't really the best bargaining chip when talking about how well a team develops talent). The Penguins will not be able to retain all of these players and will likely lose a lot of them. If Malkin's asking price only goes up there is a very realistic chance they won't be able to resign him without even further gutting the team. Heck even him resigning at 8.7 million would still push others off the rosters.

Malkin has already been shopped a few years ago as a possible option to restore depth. It's a very realistic option that this happens if Pittsburgh continues to fall short. Though it's still a longshot at the moment.

But that would be like trading Kessler and keeping CoHo, orTrading Schneids and keeping Luo.We know how those saga's have played out so this shouldn't be surprising.

Archived