The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks need to hold hearing with refs

Matt_T83

How the hell do you throw something from your chest, backhanded without closing your hand on it. You idiots are worse than the people calling out the officiating. "Oh, maybe if I say the refacing isn't biased the other teams fans will like me, durrr!!"

Pull your head from the darkest part of your you know what. That was a glaringly obvious call that was missed, as was the Kesler cross check, the hand on the puck in the blue paint, which, if you watch that clip you will hear the attitude that Daniel gets when he asks why the whistle went if not for the closed hand on the puck.

But yeah. Totally unbiased.

The refereeing is atrocious for the series, but we deserve the 3-0 deficit the way we've been playing.

A lot of non-calls and calls against us, seriously I hate the whole referee cop-out but refereeing this whole season has been terrible so why should we expect any different in the playoffs.

I don't really care who likes me or not honestly. The officiating really wasn't that bad. Feel free to disagree. Either way, the Canucks lost because of the Canucks, not because of the refs. There were a few missed calls for the Sharks too. Sometimes, the penalties are skewed. The Bruins got 4 seconds on the power play yesterday. The Bruins lost not because of the refs, but because they sucked, and the Leafs played a solid game.

The whining is brutal.

You know that ol' saying in the NFL "you can call holding on every play". You can call an infraction in the NHL on just about every play too. What the refs do or do not call is Game Management. The turning point of tonight's game was Kesler not getting a call when he was crosschecked and Thornton getting crosschecked and drawing a penalty 30 seconds later. I mean even with it being Kesler who you could explain away a non-call with his diving reputation, Jumbo has the same reputation and he gets the call. He also drew that 5 on 3 call by raising his wrong hand after taking a slash on the hands. After a goal was scored I counted 1 slash and 2 hooks on the Canucks next PP that weren't called to give a 5 on 3 back to Vancouver. I'm not expecting the refs to call phantom penalties, I'm expecting them to enforce the rules over-zealously against the Sharks as they have been to the Canucks.

ummmm... what if the Sharks are playing a clean game and the 'Nucks are still hacking away? Are you saying the refs should start making "phantom" penalty calls? Oh wait.. you're complaining about the refs... so of course you don't want phantom calls... wait... you only want phantom calls against the OTHER team... because that's quality officiating, right?

Calls against the 'Nucks... always unfair. Calls against the other team... always legit.

were you also counting the slash that led to a scoring chance in the 3rd where the 'Nuck player CLEARLY slashes the stick out of the Sharks players hand? What about the interference by Kes (going off memory on who it was) on the blue line that prevented a 2 on 1 also in the 3rd?

I know the saying, and I know if you had a 100% accuracy rate by the refs, it would be a dull game (since just about everyone would be in the box for some kind of interference.) But you can't rely on the refs to help you win/lose you games.

you know as well as I do (because you've been here as long as me) that every playoff season this type of thread is created and you get a group of 'Nucks fans (that other 'Nuck fans will later say; "well that's just a few, not all of us blame the refs") that will pin every series loss on the refs and not the collapse of Cloutier, being a 1 line team, not having the goaltending, not being able to deal with physical teams, shallow defense, being a 1 line + 1 player team, taking stupid penalties, terrible PP, terrible PK, etc.

as was posted in the PGT, this is nothing new. Last time the Canucks came out on the plus side in PPs in a series was four years ago. That includes their run to the cup buddy. Explain that for me since you know so much about hockey. THE MOST DISCLIPINED team in the NHL in 2011 can't out PP one opponent on the way to the SCF? Not an coincidence. No way.

No Hockey League.

It is amazing that this WWF style is controlled by officiating that decide outcomes.

I really disliked both games because the momentum was altered to the Sharks by the refs.

That is a rigged game.

yes, you're right. How could I have been so blind. The refs are forcing the 'Nucks to take stupid penalties. The refs are keeping the Nucks from scoring more than 2 goals in regulation in every game since game #4 in the WCF of 2011.

Every time I read a thread like this I just remember Roger Neilson. He's pretty much the only coach in our history who was able to get a level playing field in the playoffs. He had to raise the white flag to get one. Unfortunately he had to shame the league into giving him one and I don't think the NHL enjoyed it very much.

Vancouver definitely has been put in their place again in this year's playoffs.

San Jose is a very good team. But it must feel amazing playing a game decided by the smallest of mistakes, having so many of your mistakes forgiven by referees watching your back at every key moment of the game. It's a feeling of invincibility. And quite the opposite of what this fragile Vancouver team must be feeling.

Archived