203 replies to this topic

#121 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:32 PM

BEFORE BOSTON: Canucks were disciplined (they had learned) and were counting on getting power plays for infractions against them. The whole "Turn the other cheek" thing came from that mentality. IT WORKED. They concentrated on playing hockey.

POST BOSTON: Canucks don't think there are any rules - not really. They have to realize that ONLY BOSTON gets away with murder in a playoff series. They are playing like the officials will let everything go, but they WON'T.

Anyways, too late now. Again, this is all on the coaching not getting through to the players... one of many rants etc etc.

Edited by canucksnihilist, 06 May 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#122 Haikara

Haikara

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

aw come on... you could see clear as day the slash across the back of the neck. This wasn't some chippy slash, hold, etc. You could see Sedin look at the Shark player, take his stick and strike him right across the back of the head. There was even a slow motion replay on the NBCsports feed (which I think was the canadian feed.)

teams get (or don't get) calls all the time... the Wild had a couple high sticking calls NOT get called against Chicago today, do you see the Wild board lit up with "we need to hold a hearing with the refs" threads? Honestly I can't remember seeing a thread blaming refs at all since I've been a member (which goes back to '02/'03) of their boards.

You want more obvious penalties?
Henrik getting a high sticking call is fine, but Couture's dive is ridiculous, but no call. His reaction is more ridicuous than Kesler's. dives. Thornton getting 'slashed' on his right hand, but waving around his left hand. Canucks getting called for penalties is fine, but they are letting go the embelishment and are not calling with consistency, that is the problem.

The consistency is missing from all the series.
Posted Image

#123 Dumb Nuck

Dumb Nuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

Henrik getting a high sticking call is fine, but Couture's dive is ridiculous, but no call. His reaction is more ridicuous than Kesler's. dives. Thornton getting 'slashed' on his right hand, but waving around his left hand. Canucks getting called for penalties is fine, but they are letting go the embelishment and are not calling with consistency, that is the problem.

As the ref said: "I lost sight of the puck", they've been blind the entire series. They get paid to see things, they suck at their job.

Edited by Dumb Nuck, 06 May 2013 - 10:39 PM.

There's always next year.

#124 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:50 PM

2010/11 was a change in identity. You have to remember the years before that we had guys like Burrows and Kesler getting 100+ PIMs each. Deserved calls most of the time.

The current squad is more akin to the 2010/11 team - way more disciplined. The standards of officiating have been horrible all season as well. The playoffs this year are a whole new level of terrible.

was it really a change or just an anomaly? Except for the 1 season, the Nucks are always in the top 10 in the NHL and one of the top in the West. Doesn't seem like they changed much. And like it or not, but when you are that consistent when it comes to PIMs, you are watched more closely (that's just the nature of the game at any level of play.)

Personally, I haven't seen really much change in the 'Nucks over the years (I will freely admit to only seeing a small number of games on TV... so it's not like I've seen 50% of their games... or even 25% of their games this season.)

#125 Drouin

Drouin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

Watch next game, we're gonna get a game misconduct for skating :bigblush:

drouin_sig_by_motzaburger-d7ucejm.jpg

Sig by CheddaBurger

#126 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

Thornton was slashed... doesn't matter which hand he's shaking to draw attention to it. Last I checked there isn't a "shaking the wrong hand" penalty. Now I will say that the only reason why the call was made on him being cross checked, was because of it being a breakaway... had that happened while being camped in front of the net, not only do I think does he not go down, but I doubt the refs make the call.

I have to admit not remembering the Couture penalty.. I've always hated diving. In fact, I wish the league would add to the rule so that if you do get called for a dive, the other player no longer gets a penalty for hooking/tripping (that would REALLY curb dives!)

#127 Smacken

Smacken

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

Nobody believed this happened in the NBA either. It took a ref to come forward. Maybe we'll see this in the NHL one day.

When Couture grabs the puck with his gloved hand and tosses it to the boards and the call isn't made.. how do you explain that? Is that a missed call? Both refs, two lineseman, none of them saw it or understand the rule? In the middle of the ice during a power play? It's not like it happened 'behind the play' where it could have been missed. It was the play!

They were SCARED to make a call against the wrong team at a critical point in the game. It would have given the Canucks a 2 man advantage in the first period of an important game. It was clear the referee did not want to MANAGE his game like that. The ref came up with his own interpretation of what happened. No he didn't glove his hand on the puck and umm.. no I didn't see him toss it to the boards. And no you didn't see that in high def. And Canucks fans shouldn't be upset. Because umm.. well just don't complain or else my bosses will fine you.

I honestly feel for the Canucks because they've been putting up with this treatment for a very long time now. When they speak up they just get dogpiled with criticism for standing up for themselves. Whiners, complainers, divers everyone squeals. Serves them right.

#128 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:29 AM

Canucks/San Jose Penalties

Canucks : 21 penalties in 3 games

San Jose: 10 penalties in 3 games (Lowest in the Playoffs)

There is a total of 11 penalties in difference between the 2 teams ridiculous.

Let's look at the other series and see the difference in penalties.

Ott/Mon : 33/39 = 6
Stl/Las : 16/19 = 3
Nyr/Wash : 13/16 = 3
Pits/Nyi : 17/19 = 2
Anh/Det : 18/19 = 1
Min/Chi : 11/11 = 0
Bos/Tor : 17/17 = 0

San/Van : 10/21 = 11

That is just not right, not even close, no wonder the series is what it is, something is really wrong with this picture.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#129 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

So classic of Vancouver ... game 3 or 4 of series, our backs against the wall and someone, Burke, Gillis, now Bieska is the spokesperson for bad reffing. Story is getting old.

Bieska ... STFU, and let your play do the talking. It is embarrassing watching you go off on the refs about diving when guys who share your locker room have a reputation of this. Did you stand up and call your own teammates out in front of the media?

Edited by Neversummer, 07 May 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#130 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

Stop blaming the officiating. It was fine this period. The refs showed they won't tolerate after the whistle stuff, hence the penalties to Weise and Wingels.

Everything else was fair. On the closing the hand no call, I saw him chuck it, but not close his hand on it. Then again, I didn't see a good replay of it.

Can you tell me from a physics viewpoint how the heck he chucked the puck in the air with a backhand WITHOUT closing his hand on it?
Sig too big.

#131 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

As the ref said: "I lost sight of the puck", they've been blind the entire series. They get paid to see things, they suck at their job.

Either the refs suck at their job or they're doing it very well, that depends on what they've been instructed to do.
If they've been told to call a fair game then they completely suck. If they've been told to help push the outcome of a game/series in one team's favor, mission accomplished.

This really isn't a new thing, either the officials are told to weigh the calls to favor US franchises over the Canadian ones, or it's simply been 20 years of remarkable coincidences during the postseason. I for one have found it very peculiar that since 1993 five Canadian teams (Canucks twice) have made it to the dance with 4 of those series going to 7 games and not one of them has won the cup, not even by sheer luck or accident. Of course look at who they lost to.
the Rangers - a big market US team with a long cup curse. Who better to break that curse against than the cinderella Canucks from Canada?
the Lightning - a small market sunbelt team that needed to gain some popularity to stay "relevant". From what I could see, they lost the cup in 6 games but somehow also won in 7.
the Hurricanes - See above, however there was no 'non-goal'.
the Bruins - We all know that they got away with murder, except during garbage time when the games were so far out of reach anyway.
Then of course there was Ottawa and Anaheim. I cant remember if Anaheim was allowed to goon it up in that series but regardless the Senators were overmatched and lost in 5.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but it truly seems to me like a Canadian team will have to fight that much harder to win a championship. They'll have to overcome the opposing team and the officials. The common denominator is Gary Bettman, he's been in charge since the Canadian cup drought began and we all know how he feels about "game management" and "growing the game" in the states. Hopefully once he's gone things will be different.

#132 Danvilleshark

Danvilleshark

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

So has this hearing been scheduled yet?

#133 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,138 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

So has this hearing been scheduled yet?

Ive read all the crap you've been saying on the sharks board about CDC. Rather than provoke some justifiably upset fans with your trolling maybe you should go back to where you came.
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#134 neerlynormal

neerlynormal

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Either the refs suck at their job or they're doing it very well, that depends on what they've been instructed to do.
If they've been told to call a fair game then they completely suck. If they've been told to help push the outcome of a game/series in one team's favor, mission accomplished.

This really isn't a new thing, either the officials are told to weigh the calls to favor US franchises over the Canadian ones, or it's simply been 20 years of remarkable coincidences during the postseason. I for one have found it very peculiar that since 1993 five Canadian teams (Canucks twice) have made it to the dance with 4 of those series going to 7 games and not one of them has won the cup, not even by sheer luck or accident. Of course look at who they lost to.
the Rangers - a big market US team with a long cup curse. Who better to break that curse against than the cinderella Canucks from Canada?
the Lightning - a small market sunbelt team that needed to gain some popularity to stay "relevant". From what I could see, they lost the cup in 6 games but somehow also won in 7.
the Hurricanes - See above, however there was no 'non-goal'.
the Bruins - We all know that they got away with murder, except during garbage time when the games were so far out of reach anyway.
Then of course there was Ottawa and Anaheim. I cant remember if Anaheim was allowed to goon it up in that series but regardless the Senators were overmatched and lost in 5.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but it truly seems to me like a Canadian team will have to fight that much harder to win a championship. They'll have to overcome the opposing team and the officials. The common denominator is Gary Bettman, he's been in charge since the Canadian cup drought began and we all know how he feels about "game management" and "growing the game" in the states. Hopefully once he's gone things will be different.

Bettman couldn't have scripted this better himself! Actually, every year including where its yankee teams

#135 Danvilleshark

Danvilleshark

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

Ive read all the crap you've been saying on the sharks board about CDC. Rather than provoke some justifiably upset fans with your trolling maybe you should go back to where you came.

Look your team has been good for a long time and came damn close to finishing. You have been treated to a fun brand of hockey. You have been competitive with a team that is no threat to leave and you live in one of the great cities of the world. As a Shark fan I am familure with heartache, but really dont see the reason for all this. Are the calls always correct? of course not but your team has been VERY good for a long time and your not Atlanta.Your team may very well make it a series yet but if not there is next season. You have a world class franchise and little to complain about in the grand hockey scheme of things. Now enjoy the great game of hockey and see what happens next. My god people.....The fact that this thread exists is quite telling.

Edited by Danvilleshark, 07 May 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#136 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

Look your team has been good for a long time and came damn close to finishing. You have been treated to a fun brand of hockey. You have been competitive with a team that is no threat to leave and you live in one of the great cities of the world. As a Shark fan I am familure with heartache, but really dont see the reason for all this. Are the calls always correct? of course not but your team has been VERY good for a long time and your not Atlanta.Your team may very well make it a series yet but if not there is next season. You have a world class franchise and little to complain about in the grand hockey scheme of things. Now enjoy the great game of hockey and see what happens next. My god people.....The fact that this thread exists is quite telling.

i wonder how would you feel if the sharks got 11 less penalties than their opponents in just 3 games in the playoff...

There is no excuse to see this type of rigging unless you treat the NHL like WWF

#137 Danvilleshark

Danvilleshark

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

i wonder how would you feel if the sharks got 11 less penalties than their opponents in just 3 games in the playoff...

There is no excuse to see this type of rigging unless you treat the NHL like WWF

Rigging is illegal. It is a VERY serious crime. There is NO way the NHL would risk the penalty associated with this. The risk/reward makes no sense. You guys are bitterly disappointed and I get that as I have been there but some of you are borderline loon.

Edited by Danvilleshark, 07 May 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#138 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,609 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:25 PM

That's exactly what it is. Wrestling is a sport. WWE is sports entertainment. Hockey is a sport. NHL is sports entertainment. If you accept it as such it's much easier to laugh it off when things like this series happen. When the Kings beat the Canucks last year I called it on the spot that they'd win the Cup. They were obviously the NHL's chosen ones for the year. I'll admit I wasn't expecting them to play as well as they did on top of getting the refs' help but these things become easier and easier to predict if you stop thinking of Gary's NHL as a competitive sport. That all being said, the NHL cannot fix games. They can only influence them, heavily. Canucks winning game 3 against Chicago in 2011 while facing 7PKs to 2PPs is one obvious example.

Edited by drdeath, 07 May 2013 - 03:25 PM.

aXmDa9t.gif

#139 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:31 PM

'

Rigging is illegal. It is a VERY serious crime. There is NO way the NHL would risk the penalty associated with this. The risk/reward makes no sense. You guys are bitterly disappointed and I get there as I have been there but some of you are borderline loon.

o you mean the NBA and FIFA and other sports league aren't doing it already?

anyone with just one eye can see that the refs manipulate the outcome of the game by calling phantom calls. The fact that the canucks has 11 less penalties than the sharks in just 3 games shows it, and watching the video evidences on all the phantom calls and non calls just make it worse...

also, rigging isn't illege in North America as long as you don't have evidences that you rig the game for gambling. You are actually free to rig the game to improve the entertainment value of the games, and this comes from a senior ref in the NHL a while ago on tsn.

#140 Danvilleshark

Danvilleshark

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:32 PM

So you guys actually believe there is an NHL conspiracy? I want to make sure I understand the thought process here.

#141 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,609 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

So you guys actually believe there is an NHL conspiracy? I want to make sure I understand the thought process here.

Game Management isn't a conspiracy. People tend to spin it into an Anti-Canucks conspiracy because they only notice when it goes against our team.

aXmDa9t.gif

#142 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

i dont just believe it. I actually watch the game and how the ref calls the penalties against small market usa teams and Canadian teams.

you actually believe it was normal that there were 0 penalties in a game 7 conference final in the Boston/Tempa Bay series 2 years ago and the canucks can get call for penalties for 11 freaking times in 3 games?

hell, we even have email from Campbell telling a ref that he shouldn't call a penalty on his son 2 or 3 seasons ago

Edited by Piggy1983, 07 May 2013 - 03:37 PM.

#143 Danvilleshark

Danvilleshark

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

'

anyone with just one eye can see that the refs manipulate the outcome of the game by calling phantom calls. The fact that the canucks has 11 less penalties than the sharks in just 3 games shows it, and watching the video evidences on all the phantom calls and non calls just make it worse...

also, rigging isn't illege in North America as long as you don't have evidences that you rig the game for gambling. You are actually free to rig the game to improve the entertainment value of the games, and this comes from a senior ref in the NHL a while ago on tsn.

Please present the evidense that these games are rigged. One team being penalized more than another is NOT evidense of rigging. Possibilities include:Team A is guilty more than team BRefs are not competantNow I ask you honestly is it more likely that either of the two above are far more likely than getting a bunch of people to conspire against a team?Where is the evidense?

#144 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

maybe they are... *GASP*... actually holding the team accountable rather than the refs. :shock:

I'm holding you accountable, as your IP indicates you're likely trolling. It stops now.

Posted Image

#145 joecanada777

joecanada777

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,353 posts

'

Im not sure its this bad but just the fact that nhl announcers all use the term " makeup call " is a disgrace in my book. A real league like the nfl would never allow the perception of a bs call like that.

But... If the canucks were constantly taking it to the sharks they would have earned many more pp's

QUOTE(queen_canuck_fan)
cuz when I saw you outside in the bushes, by length I would have guessed 11...

QUOTE(Whiskey7 @ Apr 19 2007, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is done in almost every sport, in every league, for a great player who has an "oooooo" sound in his name. I'm always a bit surprised when people don't pick up on it, and announcers on TV have to clarify for those at home.

#146 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,608 posts

Please present the evidense that these games are rigged. One team being penalized more than another is NOT evidense of rigging. Possibilities include:Team A is guilty more than team BRefs are not competantNow I ask you honestly is it more likely that either of the two above are far more likely than getting a bunch of people to conspire against a team?Where is the evidense?

you didn't watch that donut video didn't you?

What more evidences you want to show that there are game managment on the ref's side? a ref coming up and tell you straight on the face like in the NBA?

the Sharks can throw the puck out of the freaking rink ffs without getting a call

#147 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,770 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:40 PM

Rigging is illegal. It is a VERY serious crime. There is NO way the NHL would risk the penalty associated with this. The risk/reward makes no sense. You guys are bitterly disappointed and I get that as I have been there but some of you are borderline loon.

Strike one and two. Deb's cranky, so beware (trolls)

Posted Image

#148 Danvilleshark

Danvilleshark

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

i dont just believe it. I actually watch the game and how the ref calls the penalties against small market usa teams and Canadian teams.

you actually believe it was normal that there were 0 penalties in a game 7 conference final in the Boston/Tempa Bay series 2 years ago and the canucks can get call for penalties for 11 freaking times in 3 games?

hell, we even have email from Campbell telling a ref that he shouldn't call a penalty on his son 2 or 3 seasons ago

The Sharks got rid of two players that lived in the box.Clowe was just stupid when it came to penalties and Murray was sloppy.If you factor these two out an average PIM you see the Sharks play a fairly clean game all season. Raffi is on his best behavior becaus ehe has to be. I for one still think he is a POS even though he now wears teal, maybe you guys were ok with him because he was your guy.What about what your guy did to Havlat? How is that act not suspension worthy or do you think he is on an extended dive?

#149 neerlynormal

neerlynormal

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

You are aware that the NHL is a business, and the point of any business is to make more and more money. None of the Canadian teams are really losing any money, or their fans, no matter what!

The big score for this business is in its tv deals in the STATES! That's where the money is. And the more winners you have in the States, the more american viewers you'll have, thus increasing revenue from tv deals.

Of course, you've got to let a canadian team get to the finals every 5 to 10 years to ensure that noone catches on about the fix. Notice how the canadian teams that get to the finals, then quickly and quietly dissappear...?

#150 Danvilleshark

Danvilleshark

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

you didn't watch that donut video didn't you?

What more evidences you want to show that there are game managment on the ref's side? a ref coming up and tell you straight on the face like in the NBA?

the Sharks can throw the puck out of the freaking rink ffs without getting a call

I read the NBA refs book. I am very aware of what happened there. He was a rougue ref. Conspiracy is VERY difficult to pul off and the risk is just too high. I dont buy it. I do buy missed calls, bad refs but I do not buy conspiracy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.