The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks need to hold hearing with refs

Matt_T83

BEFORE BOSTON: Canucks were disciplined (they had learned) and were counting on getting power plays for infractions against them. The whole "Turn the other cheek" thing came from that mentality. IT WORKED. They concentrated on playing hockey.

POST BOSTON: Canucks don't think there are any rules - not really. They have to realize that ONLY BOSTON gets away with murder in a playoff series. They are playing like the officials will let everything go, but they WON'T.

Anyways, too late now. Again, this is all on the coaching not getting through to the players... one of many rants etc etc.

aw come on... you could see clear as day the slash across the back of the neck. This wasn't some chippy slash, hold, etc. You could see Sedin look at the Shark player, take his stick and strike him right across the back of the head. There was even a slow motion replay on the NBCsports feed (which I think was the canadian feed.)

teams get (or don't get) calls all the time... the Wild had a couple high sticking calls NOT get called against Chicago today, do you see the Wild board lit up with "we need to hold a hearing with the refs" threads? Honestly I can't remember seeing a thread blaming refs at all since I've been a member (which goes back to '02/'03) of their boards.

You want more obvious penalties?

Henrik getting a high sticking call is fine, but Couture's dive is ridiculous, but no call. His reaction is more ridicuous than Kesler's. dives. Thornton getting 'slashed' on his right hand, but waving around his left hand. Canucks getting called for penalties is fine, but they are letting go the embelishment and are not calling with consistency, that is the problem.

The consistency is missing from all the series.

2010/11 was a change in identity. You have to remember the years before that we had guys like Burrows and Kesler getting 100+ PIMs each. Deserved calls most of the time.

The current squad is more akin to the 2010/11 team - way more disciplined. The standards of officiating have been horrible all season as well. The playoffs this year are a whole new level of terrible.

You want more obvious penalties?

Henrik getting a high sticking call is fine, but Couture's dive is ridiculous, but no call. His reaction is more ridicuous than Kesler's. dives. Thornton getting 'slashed' on his right hand, but waving around his left hand. Canucks getting called for penalties is fine, but they are letting go the embelishment and are not calling with consistency, that is the problem.

The consistency is missing from all the series.

Nobody believed this happened in the NBA either. It took a ref to come forward. Maybe we'll see this in the NHL one day.

When Couture grabs the puck with his gloved hand and tosses it to the boards and the call isn't made.. how do you explain that? Is that a missed call? Both refs, two lineseman, none of them saw it or understand the rule? In the middle of the ice during a power play? It's not like it happened 'behind the play' where it could have been missed. It was the play!

They were SCARED to make a call against the wrong team at a critical point in the game. It would have given the Canucks a 2 man advantage in the first period of an important game. It was clear the referee did not want to MANAGE his game like that. The ref came up with his own interpretation of what happened. No he didn't glove his hand on the puck and umm.. no I didn't see him toss it to the boards. And no you didn't see that in high def. And Canucks fans shouldn't be upset. Because umm.. well just don't complain or else my bosses will fine you.

I honestly feel for the Canucks because they've been putting up with this treatment for a very long time now. When they speak up they just get dogpiled with criticism for standing up for themselves. Whiners, complainers, divers everyone squeals. Serves them right.

Canucks/San Jose Penalties

Canucks : 21 penalties in 3 games

San Jose: 10 penalties in 3 games (Lowest in the Playoffs)

There is a total of 11 penalties in difference between the 2 teams ridiculous.

Let's look at the other series and see the difference in penalties.

Ott/Mon : 33/39 = 6

Stl/Las : 16/19 = 3

Nyr/Wash : 13/16 = 3

Pits/Nyi : 17/19 = 2

Anh/Det : 18/19 = 1

Min/Chi : 11/11 = 0

Bos/Tor : 17/17 = 0

San/Van : 10/21 = 11

That is just not right, not even close, no wonder the series is what it is, something is really wrong with this picture.

So classic of Vancouver ... game 3 or 4 of series, our backs against the wall and someone, Burke, Gillis, now Bieska is the spokesperson for bad reffing. Story is getting old.

Bieska ... STFU, and let your play do the talking. It is embarrassing watching you go off on the refs about diving when guys who share your locker room have a reputation of this. Did you stand up and call your own teammates out in front of the media?

Stop blaming the officiating. It was fine this period. The refs showed they won't tolerate after the whistle stuff, hence the penalties to Weise and Wingels.

Everything else was fair. On the closing the hand no call, I saw him chuck it, but not close his hand on it. Then again, I didn't see a good replay of it.

Either the refs suck at their job or they're doing it very well, that depends on what they've been instructed to do.

If they've been told to call a fair game then they completely suck. If they've been told to help push the outcome of a game/series in one team's favor, mission accomplished.

This really isn't a new thing, either the officials are told to weigh the calls to favor US franchises over the Canadian ones, or it's simply been 20 years of remarkable coincidences during the postseason. I for one have found it very peculiar that since 1993 five Canadian teams (Canucks twice) have made it to the dance with 4 of those series going to 7 games and not one of them has won the cup, not even by sheer luck or accident. Of course look at who they lost to.

the Rangers - a big market US team with a long cup curse. Who better to break that curse against than the cinderella Canucks from Canada?

the Lightning - a small market sunbelt team that needed to gain some popularity to stay "relevant". From what I could see, they lost the cup in 6 games but somehow also won in 7.

the Hurricanes - See above, however there was no 'non-goal'.

the Bruins - We all know that they got away with murder, except during garbage time when the games were so far out of reach anyway.

Then of course there was Ottawa and Anaheim. I cant remember if Anaheim was allowed to goon it up in that series but regardless the Senators were overmatched and lost in 5.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but it truly seems to me like a Canadian team will have to fight that much harder to win a championship. They'll have to overcome the opposing team and the officials. The common denominator is Gary Bettman, he's been in charge since the Canadian cup drought began and we all know how he feels about "game management" and "growing the game" in the states. Hopefully once he's gone things will be different.

Look your team has been good for a long time and came damn close to finishing. You have been treated to a fun brand of hockey. You have been competitive with a team that is no threat to leave and you live in one of the great cities of the world. As a Shark fan I am familure with heartache, but really dont see the reason for all this. Are the calls always correct? of course not but your team has been VERY good for a long time and your not Atlanta.Your team may very well make it a series yet but if not there is next season. You have a world class franchise and little to complain about in the grand hockey scheme of things. Now enjoy the great game of hockey and see what happens next. My god people.....The fact that this thread exists is quite telling.

i wonder how would you feel if the sharks got 11 less penalties than their opponents in just 3 games in the playoff...

There is no excuse to see this type of rigging unless you treat the NHL like WWF

'

Rigging is illegal. It is a VERY serious crime. There is NO way the NHL would risk the penalty associated with this. The risk/reward makes no sense. You guys are bitterly disappointed and I get there as I have been there but some of you are borderline loon.

Archived