The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Cory Schneider's Performance in the 2013 Playoffs Change the Goalie Situation in Vancouver?

Cory Schneider has won one big game in his entire career in the NHL, his health is questionable at times and he's never played a full starters load 82 game schedule. Really hoping that his #'s aren't a product of a small sample rather than acknowledging he will have a drop off eventually.

The bridge is burned with Luongo imo. 2 playoffs in a row where he sat on the bench when the team got eliminated. Those are prime years in his career. How would you feel?

He wants out and MG should have made it happen last year.

Cory Schneider has won one big game in his entire career in the NHL, his health is questionable at times and he's never played a full starters load 82 game schedule. Really hoping that his #'s aren't a product of a small sample rather than acknowledging he will have a drop off eventually.

Are you kidding me? The whole world knew who Luongo was. He was one of the most touted goalies ever in the draft, drafted 4th pick overall. You either are to young to say something like that and didn't know, or you just don't have a clue. Bertuzzi allen and auld for him. When he came to Vancouver he was already an elite goalie.

Luongos accomplishment prior to coming to vancouver

International

Award Year(s) World Junior Best Goalie 1999[151] World Junior All-Star Team 1999[151] IIHF World Championship gold medallist 2003, 2004 World Cup champion 2004

QMJHL

Award Year(s) Mike Bossy Trophy 1997[18] President's Cup championship

(Val-d'Or Foreurs, Acadie-Bathurst Titan) 1998, 1999

NHL

Award Year(s) NHL YoungStars Game 2002[41] NHL Second All-Star Team 2003,

Records

Val-d'Or Foreurs

QMJHL

NHL

Florida Panthers

• Longest shutout streak – 144:51 minutes in 2002–03[39]

• Most shutouts in a season – 7 in 2003–04 (surpassed himself, six shutouts in 2002–03; tied with Tomáš Vokoun, 2009–10)[38]

• Most wins in a season – 35 in 2005–06 (surpassed John Vanbiesbrouck, 27 wins in 1996–97)[51]

• Most games played in a season – 75 in 2005–06 (surpassed himself, 72 games played in 2003–04)[184]

• Most games played all-time – 318[185]

• Most wins all-time – 108 (surpassed John Vanbiesbrouck, 106 wins)[49]

• Most shutouts all-time – 26 (surpassed John Vanbiesbrouck, 13 shutouts)[186

Are you and Cigano really going to try and argue that Lack is the next best thing. If you want to think Luo is the best option to keep fine, but to say that we have Lack to be the guy to come in and be the next canucks star goalie, is really reaching for the stars. We'd be better off drafting a goalie and trying to develop him for the next 5 years to take over for Luo than to say Lack will. I have nothing against Lack I'm just really sick of people saying he is this high potential all-star goalie when they know nothing about him and all the've heard is John Garrett mention his name a few times.

A certain Mikka Kiprusoff comes to mind. When he's on his game he is fantastic, but he can't handle the 82 game Schedule. The Flames had to overplay him just to get close to the playoffs and then he had nothing left in the tank for the final push. The only year he had playoff success was the year he was traded to the flames and that was because he was a backup in San Jose.

It's not enough to be good. You have to be durable or have one hell of a backup. We still don't know how Schneider will handle the full workload. We don't need a Kiprusoff.

Not to keep picking on you but what about this years playoff performance by our team says we are a win now team. It'll take a lot more pieces then what a schneider return would be to make this a cup winning team. We need to be more concerned about protecting our future than going all in. And that would mean keeping the YOUNGER goalie who's name was being mentioned in the Vezna talk and tied for the League lead for shutouts in his first season. He's already a proven NHL starter. To deem lack the next best thing with 0 NHL experience is a little over zealous don't you think

After being run out of town and Slammed by the team, Raped by the fans and Sucker punched by the media....I cant see anyway that Lu wants anything to do with the team ! Can you blame him ?...They should have left Cory in during game 3 he might have hit 8 goals...after all look what they did to Lu and look what he did for them.....Roberto Luongo will always be the best chance this team ever had at a cup

Iain MacIntyre of the Vancouver Sun:

https://mobile.twitter.com/imacVanSun/status/332015771444199425

In probably final game as coach, Vigneault stuck with his guy. Schneider repaid him with 4.62 GAA, .880 save % in 2 games

https://mobile.twitter.com/imacVanSun/status/332044565118865408

There was more to lose than Game 4 starting Schneider tonight. Bobbled pucks on GT+GWG. After great reg season, 2 nervy PO gms.

I don't get what your point is? The flames can't trust their backup to play even ten games a year? Even with Luongo the team acknowledged they had to lower his GP in order for him to have more in the tank. Only a handful of goalies in this league are capable of playing 90% of the games and even then most of them burn out ala Rinne. Having a good backup is very important. What exactly are you trying to say here?

Keep Luongo. Beg for forgiveness and apologize until the cows come home. Trade Schneider. He'll fetch you a better return evidently.

The fact the goalie market this off season is huge is going to hurt us. That's what happens when you sit on a huge asset for years and refuse to pull the trigger, or start negotiations for that matter.

Lu is 34

Schneider is our MVP for the season

He also was rusty off an injury in which we don't know if he was 100% for those games

Given the history of our medical staff and judging from his play. he didn't look 100%.

Like I said it is potential. That is what all draft picks are. How did we know Schneider would be our future goalie? Based on potential and we brought him in the NHL and he played. I am not saying Lack will be a star, but you can say that about all the players we draft and sign and i am sure many people said the same things about Schneider. He has potential and still is only potential same with Lack.

You are trying to say no way in hell in Lack can possibly be our goalie, and I am saying he has potential just like you say for all draft picks and prospects....Learn to understand what people say

I think its the win now mentality. I think we can get a better on ice product NOW by having lou (still a really good goalie) and the returns for CS on the ice in front of lou. I think for the time being thats better than having cory in net and not improving the 5 skaters in front of him

Win now? Lu will be even another year older next playoffs. And Cory will be as well. Interpretation: Lu will be moving further from his prime, Cory will be just entering it. And then there are the following 2 or 3 years after that. Every year in decline. "Still a really good goalie". I agree. But we have a really good goalie in Cory, who may have not even hit his peak yet.

As far as the goaltending position, which is THE most important position especially in the "real" season (playoffs), it would be folly to trade away a really good goalie that can only improve as we only have 2 maybe 3 years with the Sedins.

Just shedding Lu's contract would unshackle the GM and make available funds for free agents. MG should have done this last year but he was too greedy. Its not like Cory will get us some huge asset as he still is not proven, and its not like dealing Lu will get us nothing.

I want to watch this team remain good in the following decade and not throw it away for a million or two extra cash to spend this Summer.

The Lou vs. Cory camps are so busy attacking each other's idols that they seem to have forgotten that apparently CS was nursing a groin injury when he came back after 13 days off. IIRC the Lou fans were using Lou's groin injury of a few years ago as an excuse long after his groin was healed. I'll take a healthy Cory over a healthy Lou at this juncture.

The Lou vs. Cory camps are so busy attacking each other's idols that they seem to have forgotten that apparently CS was nursing a groin injury when he came back after 13 days off. IIRC the Lou fans were using Lou's groin injury of a few years ago as an excuse long after his groin was healed. I'll take a healthy Cory over a healthy Lou at this juncture.

Archived