Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strombone1

[PGT] Canucks vs Sharks - Game 3

The current situation is a fall out from the 2011 Finals.

It's clear to anyone watching that two things have happened since the Finals that have affected the Canucks confidence.

Both things essentially come from not being able to trust the Refs. It seems that the either playoffs are not suited for the Sedins or the Refs want a different style of play from teams in the playoffs.

Until the 2011 finals against Boston, the Sedins were scoring and teams were getting penalized for holding or slashing them. The Boston series changed everything including it seems the Refs opinion of the Canucks and the Sedins.

Suddenly it was okay to manhandle the Sedins, to crosscheck them from behind or pin them against the boards without getting penalized. The Sedins play stopped being effective because they couldn't cycle the puck anymore and the fall out was the other lines lost confidence in overall team scoring. If the 1st line can't score, then how can they win games?!

Another fallout from the Boston series is that the Canucks got labelled as fakers, divers and "girls", so Refs stopped calling plays that should have been penalties. I think the Canucks did start dramatizing things in the Boston series, but primarily because the Refs didn't seem to notice all the stuff Boston was doing.

Yesterday's game highlighted the influence of the Boston series.

- The Sedins were again manhandled, pinned against the boards and crosschecked from behind - no penalties and the Sedins eliminated offensively.

- Borderline calls against Vancouver as a result of Refs thinking the Canucks embellish or that they play dirty.

- Holding the puck call against the Canucks, but a SJ player holds the puck in the net and it's not a penalty or a penalty shot, yet somehow the play is whistled dead. Clearly you can see the player grabbing the puck as it's crossing the line.

Of course, I'm only adding to critics comment that we blame the Refs instead of playing the game. The problem is that Refs or the NHL are making it clear that they don't want a Canadian team in the finals due to bad ratings and they want a Boston or LA style team in the finals.

I'm guessing the Sedins are considering retirement rather than continue playing, because the Refs / NHL clearly don't like their style of play in the playoffs. So why bother continuing....

Although Couture sold it, the hit was more than just a tap on the helmet. If Marchand did this to Henrik everyone would be calling for a 10 game suspension.

itr2dq9zKawZf.gif

It really was awesome during that cup run, us against the world, great memories for ever.

But it's time to rebuild the team completely.

Honestly, I think we should model our team in the same direction as the big american markets, what ever direction that may be.

I don't know man. AV has done pretty damn good with a pretty awful mismatched roster. Ebbet as a fourth line center? Sestito can barely play hockey, Raymond, Hansen, Roy as a third line? Not a hitter amongst them. Add to that the goalie issue....I put this squarely and solely on Mike Gillis.

any one see the the ottawa- montreal game yesterday,WOW--- the canucks should be forced to watch it 5 times and get some balls, come on where were the canucks, they didn't show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shocked by Henrick's butt to the end. When I first heard it on the radio, I thought it'd be an accident. But then I saw the replay and it was intentional. Yes ... that should get a look at by Shanny, if SJ did that to us ... we'd be jumping all over it.

In case you failed to notice, Couture throws his hands back in a perfect execution of a flying swan dive as he pulls his arms back while arching his back and smiling for the crowd.

You replied inside of my quote, so I got fairly confused.

"We have been tweaking for a few seasons now and it is not paying off. Our core has got to be able to score enough during the playoffs and they are not. Our 3rd and 4th lines have still got to provide some secondary scoring, they are not.The Cap is going down so we are going to lose players like Raymond,Ballard and Roy. So in the end that alone makes this team weaker than it is now. We have to make changes to the top 6 and get players who compete hard every nighht and can pot the goals. There has been ample time for this group to become a team and this group is not good enough...the time for tweaking is over....major changes needed."

The Sedin's are not controling the game like other superstars, all they do is cycle until someone decides to intercept the pass along the boards. They get it done in the regular season but they have been neutralized in the playoffs. Henrik is playing a tougher game than I have ever seen him play but Daniel is turning the puck over when he is going to get bumped. I don't think a top 2 player can play like that in the playoffs. They have become very predictable which is sad because the skill they possess should be enough to find creative ways to get it done in tight checking games. I am not necessarily saying trade the Sedins but they may be more effective if they were split up. Heck in the first game, I didn't realise that the Sedins were even playing until the 2nd period.Higgins has disappeared in the playoffs this year (started this way toward seasons end), Hansen is working hard but is not getting it done on the scoreboard. Edler has been having brain cramps and is not using his size. Burrows has been playing with spotty flashes of his old self. In the end, we have a team that sucks on the PP and is inept at scoring more than 2 goals a game. This team needs a shakeup in a big way.Higgins has all but disappearedThats what you said, yes?

I agree, there needs to be major changes. I feel like firing AV, Bowness, Brown is going to be a big change, and it'll show the players that no one is safe, and they need to step it up. But as I'm reading some posts in this thread, a lot of people are saying "Trade Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis etc." I find that ridiculously ridiculous. We don't need to change our entire core. Raymond is as useless as they come, so we're not going to be missing him. Ballard, 4+ mill for a 6th defencemen? Roy, well he hasn't been the third line centre we wanted, and he's going to leave on his own so thats fine. Booth, way to injury prone. The young guns will step it up next season, and I'm sure we can pick up a couple of people in the off season with trades+signings.

Who said I failed to notice what Couture did? Why exact words were "Although Couture sold it", so I know he did his best to draw a penalty.

Regardless of what Couture did, Sedin deliberately took his stick to another player's head, the video clearly shows that. I don't know if this was your intention, but you can't excuse Sedin's actions because Couture took a dive. Reverse the situation, imagine Couture doing this to Sedin, would you be focusing on Sedin's dive?

Guys I don't mean to kick Cory when he is down but he has to be held accountable. Lui got more criticism than him and he played two good games and a great short stint last night.

Cory took a performance out of Cloutiers Playbook last night.

May 8 2003 ... cloutier and nux vs wild for game seven. Almost ten years ago... ill never forget that game

One thing it had in common was it was a must win and our goalie choked for three goals in the third.

The van canucks need to take one out of 4 shifts to just smash the sharks...we need ballard on the ice..he is not afraid to throw a clean open ice hit..i think if they dedicate one shift to just shut down mode with hard hits ..i mean dont make it predictable..good old hockey smashing...they chase the sharks around looking to start stuff and it aint working...im not saying dirty hits..im saying good head on collisions...the players know who are capable..need to create some room out there.. tip for the d men and forwards..try some fake slap shots and dump to winger on slot and he shoots and everyone crashes the net.. the sedins need to not carry the puck so much but instead position themselves for an open pass...they should pass it to winger instead of skating the ppuck in..the sharks position themselves easily when sedins skate around..

I'm not sure if your aware; but Lou has, sort of, asked to be traded? He made it clear he would rather move on than be faced with having to outperform Schneider.

I'm sorry, but in sports you have to compete. Lou abdicated cuz he already has his contract in the bag and thought he could then use his agent to manipulate a trade to warm, cushy Florida without scrutiny.

The fact that he capitulates in situations is also why he does not always rise to the occasion in the biggest moments, regardless of how talented he is.

Guys I don't mean to kick Cory when he is down but he has to be held accountable. Lui got more criticism than him and he played two good games and a great short stint last night.

Cory took a performance out of Cloutiers Playbook last night.

May 8 2003 ... cloutier and nux vs wild for game seven. Almost ten years ago... ill never forget that game

One thing it had in common was it was a must win and our goalie choked for three goals in the third.

I don't think I would have fired AV last year. But I would not have extended him (his contract ran out after this season...).

If he lost the room during the year; you pull a Jersey and find a Larry Robinson. Speaking of Larry, unfortunately good depth hire by the Shaks this year.

team hates AV . dressing room is a mess.

First of all I would like to say that I am a hockey fan first and not a Canucks fan. I don;t know how anyone could be so delusional to think this team would go further than the first round. The captain of a team must reflect the attitude and makeup of a team. Henrik Sedin is weak, talented but only for regular season play and frankly not a guy who takes a team on his back. Look at so many other captains in the playoffs now, Alfredsson, Dustin Brown, Toews, Thornton. They go into beast mode in the playoffs. Canucks are so yesterday, still thinking they build from the goalie on out. Look who will be in net whomever wins the cup this year, probably a solid but not super expensive goalie and the lines are interspersed with grit and star power. Gillis is an agent, not a general manager and he has proven that with his poor drafting and trades. Don;t blame AV he is only working with what he was given. This Luongo debacle is an example of Gillis

First of all I would like to say that I am a hockey fan first and not a Canucks fan. I don;t know how anyone could be so delusional to think this team would go further than the first round. The captain of a team must reflect the attitude and makeup of a team. Henrik Sedin is weak, talented but only for regular season play and frankly not a guy who takes a team on his back. Look at so many other captains in the playoffs now, Alfredsson, Dustin Brown, Toews, Thornton. They go into beast mode in the playoffs. Canucks are so yesterday, still thinking they build from the goalie on out. Look who will be in net whomever wins the cup this year, probably a solid but not super expensive goalie and the lines are interspersed with grit and star power. Gillis is an agent, not a general manager and he has proven that with his poor drafting and trades. Don;t blame AV he is only working with what he was given. This Luongo debacle is an example of Gillis