Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

I WANNA HODGESON
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#32 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

The biggest failure are the mods, 6 pages of threads in the past 24hrs WOW
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#33 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

The Aquillinis have so much money that for Francesco in particular, their ownership of the Canucks is about vanity and picking up hot girls. The dude was a fat, out of shape developer/enterprise farmer having been the beneficiary of what his old man built, before he and his bros formed CS&E...since those early CS&E days, he's slimmed down, picked up a bunch hot girls riding around in his Bentley and limousine, wining and dining them in the private dining rooms at Gotham/Joe Fortes, leading to his divorce proceedings on the grounds of infidelity, so no, it's not really about the money for these guys.

This actually bodes well for Canucks fans, since the ultimate for the Aquillinis would be to win the Stanley Cup, not because of their philanthropic visions, but moreso for their own vanity. If the Canucks ever win the cup and I hear the Aquillinis state publicly that "We did this for you, Vancouver", I will probably puke a little bit in my mouth.

Good post, and I agree that Frank Aqua is in it for the vanity, not the profit. So it's good for the fans that he's motivated to win, whatever the impetus is for that desire.

But there's a problem there, too. The Canucks are now in a very precarious position regarding the time frame for their "window" to win. They still have a shot, but Gillis -- or whoever replaces him -- will have to be extremely shrewd, and immediately so. The problem is that Gillis has been digging his own team's grave with all the NTCs, so he (or his replacement) is limited in options for next season and the one after.

And here's where Aqullini comes in. He was rather impatient when he fired Nonis because he wants that immediate winning gratification. I don't see him letting Gillis stand pat, like Nonis did. So Gillis (or next GM) will feel increased pressure to "make a bold move". And I don't see the Canucks' position being optimal for coming out ahead in any bold moves.

#34 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

To think if this team had gotten Doan, Schultz, and Clowe or Torres...

Might have been a much different season.

MG is trying to improve this team, he's just not getting it done like he did in the summer of 2011.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#35 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Whatever happens, I hope MG gets the axe first. Don't want to give him the satisfaction of firing AV.

After MG is gone, Aquilini fire AV.

#36 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

Two summers ago i posted about this team going the route of the 94 team and "just a couple pieces away" syndrome. Of course every expert here roasted me for such a thought... now it is looking more and more like we are heading to same fate of going downhill. Might be a few years before a really competitive contender is around here again.

#37 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,885 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

Two summers ago i posted about this team going the route of the 94 team and "just a couple pieces away" syndrome. Of course every expert here roasted me for such a thought... now it is looking more and more like we are heading to same fate of going downhill. Might be a few years before a really competitive contender is around here again.

That's the cycle.......you can't be on top forever. All good runs eventually come to an end and a rebuild starts, from the bottom up. I've been through many rebuilds in my 40 years as a Nucks fan, kind of exciting in some ways. I just hope they bring in someone more competent than MG to do it.

#38 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

WOW A GOOD THREAD AND NO AV AND MG LOVERS TO RUIN IT !

#39 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:38 AM

To think if this team had gotten Doan, Schultz, and Clowe or Torres...

Might have been a much different season.

MG is trying to improve this team, he's just not getting it done like he did in the summer of 2011.

Then you have to question his bargaining technique/trading.

I think MG has been rumbled by the other GMs. I also think this propensity for NTC's is to suit his dislike for trading. He seems uncomfortable being on the other side of the table. So much so, that I think he is done.

Even if he goes, he has stitched up the incoming GM because there is no doubt that changes need to be made but will the new man be allowed to do what's required?
Kevin.jpg

#40 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,914 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:50 AM

Say what you will about HOdgson's attitude but he saw the "boys club" and entitlement attitude of teh Nuck's management and knew he had to get out of town or he would waste his best years playing shut down 3rd line minutes.

Shutdown? Hodgson wasn't playing shutdown minutes. That was Keslers line.

Sedins ice time their first four seasons and where it placed them among all our forwards:

00/01
Henrik - 13:31 (9th)
Daniel - 12:59 (11th)

01/02
Henrik - 12:48 (10th)
Daniel - 12:21 (12th)

02/03
Henrik - 13:57 (6th)
Daniel - 12:26 (9th)

03/04
Henrik - 14:02 (10th)
Daniel - 13:32 (11th)

And guess what? AV wasn't the coach and Gillis wasn't the GM. The top line and the shutdown line will get the most minutes. Hodgsons ice time was right in line with the Sedins but he wasn't willing to put the time in to earn his spot like the Sedins did.
Posted Image

#41 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:02 AM

Hodgson>Kassian..scoring and hockey IQ we can get fast goons anywhere. just 1 of MGs manymanymany mistakes

#42 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

Luongo 5.2m (Backup)
Ballard 4.2m as a depth defenceman on the team that AV doesn't even use.
Booth 4.2m who was suppose to be a top 6 forward....
Malhotra 2.5m - Why didn't we just buy him out in the summer or traded him if Gillis didn't plan on playing him?
Raymond 2.5m - He should've been dealt at the deadline when his stock was high. Another missed opportunity by the genius management.

That's 18m of our salary.........

Failure to re-sign Torres because he dared ask for a 700k raise and an extra year that he earned. Then Gillis tried to trade a pick to get him at the deadline?! horrible management.

Then after Torres debacle, he goes on a 4th line shopping spree signing borderline AHLers Ebbett, Duco, Pinozotto, Wiese to replace what Torres gave us.

Raffi is playing great, good on him. I just wonder what you post would have included had we been the team he was playing for when he was handed a 25 game suspension?
Sig too big.

#43 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

Edler has costed us playoffs games last year, and this year. This guy really needs to go. I will gladly trade him a long with Bieksa in hopes of getting 1 star defencemen.

Guarnateed they will be back next year.

I agree with the Edler problem. Stopped being a fan a long time ago. With Juice, I want him back with Hammer. That friends and neighbours was a shut down pair to beat all, and we currently have no shut down pairing. We need to make some off season moves to put together pairings of defencemen that play well together, or, if these guys play well

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Tanev
Garrison Corrado

Three lefties, three righties.
Sig too big.

#44 lmm

lmm

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

Luongo 5.2m (Backup)
Ballard 4.2m as a depth defenceman on the team that AV doesn't even use.
Booth 4.2m who was suppose to be a top 6 forward....
Malhotra 2.5m - Why didn't we just buy him out in the summer or traded him if Gillis didn't plan on playing him?
Raymond 2.5m - He should've been dealt at the deadline when his stock was high. Another missed opportunity by the genius management.

That's 18m of our salary.........

Failure to re-sign Torres because he dared ask for a 700k raise and an extra year that he earned. Then Gillis tried to trade a pick to get him at the deadline?! horrible management.

Then after Torres debacle, he goes on a 4th line shopping spree signing borderline AHLers Ebbett, Duco, Pinozotto, Wiese to replace what Torres gave us.

Ever wonder why Bitz and Torres were both not signed?
I have always felt that Torres was not signed because he got suspended and not becuase he asked for a 2-year deal.
Bitz was a better player than at least Ebbett, Pinnzo and Duco but he got suspended and never played another game, coincidence?

#45 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,098 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

That's the cycle.......you can't be on top forever. All good runs eventually come to an end and a rebuild starts, from the bottom up. I've been through many rebuilds in my 40 years as a Nucks fan, kind of exciting in some ways. I just hope they bring in someone more competent than MG to do it.

Stawns, like you I have seen it all from the beginning. Unlike you I have not given up on Gillis yet. AV will probably take the hit and perhaps it is time for another coaching voice. I am sticking by Gillis for another year as I wait to see the fallout on the options he has in June. IMO there are two underlying realities with the Canuck franchise; 1) Weak ownership and therefore the management they hired. 2) Because of weak management a franchise with no depth. Who can forget the B.J. Macdonald trade. Current ownership is the absolute best the team has ever had. Gillis has been spending money on the franchise structure and he is building depth. Perhaps his background as a player rep might have caused him to expect more out of his roster than was realistic. Sometimes experience is a hard teacher. That said I do think he realized the weaknesses of the 2011 team and started to address them. Listened to the NHL Network radio on a recent road trip. I was somewhat shocked to hear so many hockey people question the direction of Vancouver management. Perhaps my take isn't worth much.

Edited by Boudrias, 07 May 2013 - 08:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.