The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Failure in Management and Coaching

*Buzzsaw*

IT's not just the mismanagement of the players they have. It's the alienating of top prospects or givcing up on players that later blossum under a different coach/system. It's trading away prospects and picks for reclamation projects and letting proven performers (Torres) walk, only later trying to get them back for more picks/prospects. Not being able to recognize the value of certain layers to the team's success and letting them walk (Salo, Ehrhoff) while spendin huge cap space on failed projects (Ballard, Booth).

MG had a good run with a team that was built mostly by his predecessor. HE has been too generous rewarding "loyalty" and "potential" instead of results. Now the team has a core that can't be moved, has little value regardless based on their reputation as soft and chokers and very little talent in the wings to step in - not like they'd be given a serious chance with AV coaching anyways.

THe core looks tired and uninspired. THe new kids are frustrated 'cause they can't get a chance no matter how they play to take oiver (KAssian last night looked terific with the Twins for a few shifts but AV goes right back to the Burrows lineup.

Say what you will about HOdgson's attitude but he saw the "boys club" and entitlement attitude of teh Nuck's management and knew he had to get out of town or he would waste his best years playing shut down 3rd line minutes.

THis team looks like they have had teh life sucked out of them and I attribute it to constant stupid and ineffective decisions by the coach and GM.

Luongo 5.2m (Backup)

Ballard 4.2m as a depth defenceman on the team that AV doesn't even use.

Booth 4.2m who was suppose to be a top 6 forward....

Malhotra 2.5m - Why didn't we just buy him out in the summer or traded him if Gillis didn't plan on playing him?

Raymond 2.5m - He should've been dealt at the deadline when his stock was high. Another missed opportunity by the genius management.

That's 18m of our salary.........

Failure to re-sign Torres because he dared ask for a 700k raise and an extra year that he earned. Then Gillis tried to trade a pick to get him at the deadline?! horrible management.

Then after Torres debacle, he goes on a 4th line shopping spree signing borderline AHLers Ebbett, Duco, Pinozotto, Wiese to replace what Torres gave us.

"IT's not just the mismanagement of the players they have. It's the alienating of top prospects or givcing up on players that later blossum under a different coach/system. It's trading away prospects and picks for reclamation projects and letting proven performers (Torres) walk, only later trying to get them back for more picks/prospects. Not being able to recognize the value of certain layers to the team's success and letting them walk (Salo, Ehrhoff) while spendin huge cap space on failed projects (Ballard, Booth)."

This.

But why has it taken so long for CDC to see it? This was all obvious to anyone watching, last year. They have had a long close season to analyse and make plans to upgrade this team and they have royally f----d up.

In fact I got one of my warnings for saying as much after last season.

Get at least one of them off the ice and replace him with Ballard who had a decent season and who has not been nearly as error prone. Or if you want to take a chance and hope that Barker responds to Cup fever, replace both of them, with Ballard and Barker.

The whole Canucks establishment is to blame.Management is arrogant and thought this market would forever buy whatever dysfunctional product they throw on the ice. Starting last year the supposed "sell outs" were manufactured by ownership buying out remaining tickets and this year they could not even sell out a play off game.

This fan base knows its hockey, the team did not perform properly last year nor this year and everyone knew this was not a play off team and yet Gillis would come on the air and pompously act as if they are above it all and they are so knowledgeable they can see things we cannot see.

Somehow we are so deep it is completely ok to have carried for 2 yrs a dman at $4.5M sitting in the press box and this year add a $5.5M goalie sitting every game.

In the playoffs do you want Mason Raymond at 2.5M or Torres at 1.75M suiting up for you. Those were all choices made by Gillis and they had consequences.

Hopefully the whole management team of the Canucks realizes that the arrogance era has come to an end and that they have to earn the fan base back!

We've seen the rapid decay over the past two years of what was once a contending team...there are many factors that have caused this, and yes, the inability of AV and MG to fulfill the mandates both have been given are big factors.

To a lesser degree injuries, the abrupt change in the way the game is being played, the shortened season, aging players, etc. have contributed to the demise, but when faced with these "challenges", the response from management, coaching staff and players was to retreat into its shell like a frightened turtle rather than fighting back.

Ray Shero saw deficiencies and boldly addressed them...same for Peter Chiarelli...MG, well he gave it a good varsity try and came close to Schultz, Clowe, Doan, Torres...well done, MG.

AV couldn't move away from the so-called puck possession game, which is nothing more than cycling the puck around the perimeter of the ice...if you're defending this, why wouldn't you let the Canucks forwards cycle around for 30-40 seconds, watch them wear themselves out, turn the puck over so that you can take an odd-man rush back the other way and score? We gave up so many odd-man rushes over the past few years that ended up with the puck in our net...and couple this with Edler and Bieksa being turnover machines in our zone, it was a recipe for disaster. Add to this the chip and chase method once we had the lead...way to abandon what works in a game, AV.

So now, we have a team that isn't fast enough to keep up with Chicago, Anaheim, San Jose, Edmonton; that isn't big/tough enough to play against LA, St. Louis, Winnipeg; that doesn't have the heart of Columbus, Nashville; leaving Colorado, Calgary, Phoenix, Dallas as the only teams that we'll arguably have a legitimate chance of beating consistently from here on out.

The Sedins have woefully lost their quickness...Burrows is a pariah as far as the officials are concerned, so even though he's mugged on the ice, he won't get a call...Roy, Raymond, Hansen, Higgins -- are a bunch of third/fourth liners disguised as second liners, but they have been exposed for what they are...Kesler and Booth can't stay healthy if their lives depended on it...it's no wonder we can't score more than a goal per game in the playoffs.

MG keeps telling us that we are a good team and he's happy with what he's got...well we've drank enough of that kool aid Mike. Nice results with the "good team"you've assembled. It's time for a serious overhaul.

Aquillini will not have the cajones to fire MG...AV will probably get a pass as well because of the shortened season and injuries. So, I expect this off season to be another one with a bunch of lip service of how tough the western conference is, and that they are going to keep upgrading the team, when it reality, the team will continue to regress.

Where are these BOLD moves you promised MG? Talk is cheap...show us you mean what you say.

After 20+ years of being a season ticket holder, I will not be renewing...the two lockouts, bad product on the ice, and even worse service from the Canucks have left me with no desire to spend any money on the Canucks from here on out...I'd rather pay Shaw Cable a minute amount of what I've paid the Griffiths, Orca Bay and Canucks Sports Entertainment over the years to watch games from the comfort of my family room.

"IT's not just the mismanagement of the players they have. It's the alienating of top prospects or givcing up on players that later blossum under a different coach/system. It's trading away prospects and picks for reclamation projects and letting proven performers (Torres) walk, only later trying to get them back for more picks/prospects. Not being able to recognize the value of certain layers to the team's success and letting them walk (Salo, Ehrhoff) while spendin huge cap space on failed projects (Ballard, Booth)."

This.

But why has it taken so long for CDC to see it? This was all obvious to anyone watching, last year. They have had a long close season to analyse and make plans to upgrade this team and they have royally f----d up.

In fact I got one of my warnings for saying as much after last season.

The Aquillinis have so much money that for Francesco in particular, their ownership of the Canucks is about vanity and picking up hot girls. The dude was a fat, out of shape developer/enterprise farmer having been the beneficiary of what his old man built, before he and his bros formed CS&E...since those early CS&E days, he's slimmed down, picked up a bunch hot girls riding around in his Bentley and limousine, wining and dining them in the private dining rooms at Gotham/Joe Fortes, leading to his divorce proceedings on the grounds of infidelity, so no, it's not really about the money for these guys.

This actually bodes well for Canucks fans, since the ultimate for the Aquillinis would be to win the Stanley Cup, not because of their philanthropic visions, but moreso for their own vanity. If the Canucks ever win the cup and I hear the Aquillinis state publicly that "We did this for you, Vancouver", I will probably puke a little bit in my mouth.

To think if this team had gotten Doan, Schultz, and Clowe or Torres...

Might have been a much different season.

MG is trying to improve this team, he's just not getting it done like he did in the summer of 2011.

Two summers ago i posted about this team going the route of the 94 team and "just a couple pieces away" syndrome. Of course every expert here roasted me for such a thought... now it is looking more and more like we are heading to same fate of going downhill. Might be a few years before a really competitive contender is around here again.

Two summers ago i posted about this team going the route of the 94 team and "just a couple pieces away" syndrome. Of course every expert here roasted me for such a thought... now it is looking more and more like we are heading to same fate of going downhill. Might be a few years before a really competitive contender is around here again.

To think if this team had gotten Doan, Schultz, and Clowe or Torres...

Might have been a much different season.

MG is trying to improve this team, he's just not getting it done like he did in the summer of 2011.

Say what you will about HOdgson's attitude but he saw the "boys club" and entitlement attitude of teh Nuck's management and knew he had to get out of town or he would waste his best years playing shut down 3rd line minutes.

Archived