The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6 players the Canucks miss.

Patrick Kane

OH dude, I pretty much agreed with everything you said except for the Hodgson part and Samuelson part. But bang on. Hodgson might help, but not a big factor, Samuleson is actually really really really slowing down, although he was very good for us. He's not even doing that well in Detroit. Miss Ehrhoff and Salo too death. They are more reliable then Bieksa and Edler bar none. Ehrhoff comments are over blown, as people believe we can compensate his loss by stepping up. Fail. in fact Edler played his very best while playing a long side Ehrhoff, and at time Salo who bails him out.

I do Edler for Ehrhoff if Buffalo is willing to do this dance.

expecting a overhaul next year.

We had no LW problem at the start of 2011-2012. Higgins is LW, Torres is LW, we didn't have Booth yet. Raymond is LW too, but he was injured at the start of the season. Burrows is LW but plays RW with the Sedins.

It's not about Bieksa or Ehrhoff. Why not just dump Ballard's salary and sign both Bieksa and Ehrhoff? We had too many left side defensemen anyways (making Ballard replaceable). Essentially Ehrhoff was replaced with Tanev, who is good, but no Ehrhoff.

Ehrhoff, yes. Guy made our PP lethal and could reliably log big minutes on the right side.

Samuelsson ... Played 4 games this year, probably going to retire. While we're at it, we also miss Bure and Linden. They would be as much help to us this season as Samuelsson would've been.

Torres ... I guess he would be useful as a checker, but he never provided much offense which is what we're lacking.

Salo, sure, but we replaced him with Garrison, who is a much better player at this point and is much younger.

Hodgson ... Is Hodgson better than Roy? I have a hard time believing that. He's better than Kassian right now, obviously.

You can laugh all you want but one guy who would have been quite handy for us this year at a very reasonable salary is good ol' Kyle Wellwood. Certainly he wouldn't hurt us in the faceoff dot. Too bad AV got a hate on him before he ever got here.

Looking at your sig, regarding the Ballard trade, the Canucks could sure use Grabners goal scoring ability.

Grabner last 3 years: 70 goals

D.Sedin last years: 83 goals

Kesler last 3 years: 67 goals

Raymond last 3 years: 35 goals

Higgins last 3 years: 41 goals

H.Sedin last 3 years: 44 goals

Burrows last 3 years: 67 goals

Hansen last 3 years: 35 goals

I loved Samuelsson but he too would disappear for stretches. It was like you had to smack him in the mouth or bruise his ego or get a team Sweden rep to call him to say he still cant play for them to be able to light a fire under his arse.

Torres got a whole f**k pile of flack after his awesomeness hits on Seabrook but that was only due to Scotty Bowman whining to Gary. Torres is exactly what we missed. Sure he too would disappear from the score sheet for longggg stretches but would still pot 14. MG lets him walk and we miss him last year and yet MG is trying to get him back....seems a bit daft.

Letting Salo walk seemed a great idea at the time and ppl here cheered we wouldnt see his name in injured reserve anymore, but seeing the impact it made on Edlers play, Im not sure MG lets him walk as easy or packages AE to go as well. Without one, the other seems useless and THAT is what you pay for.

I loved "The Hoff". Was by far my favorite MG move. He actually found someone to dump Pat Freakin White and Daniel Rahimi. Has anyone even heard of those 2 since? Making $4 mil per year is a great bargain for what he did in his time here..... Although his contract WAS 10 yrs long and he WAS 28 when he signed it... Bringing him to 38 when the contract expires. He STILL put up decent numbers. Ehrhoff, Garrison, Hamhuis makes up a great left side crew and package Edler for something.

I couldnt agree with Kane's analogy of Hodgson anymore. Heaven forbid Cody took over the 2nd line spot and Kesler on the wing or dare we think to put him on the 3rd line. Not only that is we would have 3 legit centers and not be scrambling around like morons looking for one on the trade market.

I was a fan of getting Booth but I was a fan of Booth pre-Richards hit. Imo, tht has ruined him and hasnt been the same since. Gillis took a HUGE gamble hoping a change in scenery might help get him back to playing the way he used to. Unfortunately he hasnt and is now been the subject of buyout speculation for a while now....

Ballard..... I think MG was hoping Ballard would turn out like a Duncan Keith type in regards to dishing out timely hits, dishing the puck, mobility and scoring. Unfortunately MG traded for another dud with a bummed hip and has never cracked the line up on a regular basis since being here. Not a great pick up for 4.2 mil and still another 3 years to go.

Drafting 5'9" munchkin Schroeder after seeing players like Marcus Johanssen, Ryan O'Reilly, Drew Shore make their respective line ups and actually being factors is also a huge head scratcher.

Trading for Zack Kassian was ok and he IS showing some glimpses of promise but is that all he is going to become? Promising? When does that tag wear off? Can we somehow send him to Sweden for the summer to bunk with the Sedin's in hopes of becoming the player we are hoping?

I distinctly remember watching MG's introductory presser when he came here and him stressing his eye and ability to scout talent and asset management..... So far i believe and i dont think im alone here when I say he has surely messed the bed on that.

This off season I am starting the official "Gillis Goes First" campain.

I agree on all points but I think the loss of Manny Malhotra has changed the dynamic of this team more than anyone will ever be able to know. Instead of having a go to guy for a defensive zone face-offs, its not by committee with players who are not exactly great at face-offs.

Out of that list, it is Salo that they miss.

But more importantly it is Malhotra that they miss.

The Canuck's trademarks that have offered them success, took a back seat without center depth.

The deployment and design of the team is predicated with 4 sound choices at center in order to execute the style of play needed.

Out of that list, it is Salo that they miss.

But more importantly it is Malhotra that they miss.

The Canuck's trademarks that have offered them success, took a back seat without center depth.

The deployment and design of the team is predicated with 4 sound choices at center in order to execute the style of play needed.

Ehrhoff is definitely at the top of the list.

Notice that our D is not very good at outlet passes. More often than not we just flip the puck out of the zone. Its hard generating offence like that.

Need to stop saying that Garrison replaces Ehrhoff because he doesn't. They are different types of players.

Archived