The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6 players the Canucks miss.

Patrick Kane

Ehrhoff is an offensive d-man, which means that he'd likely have tons of giveaways since he takes more risks with the puck. That's why guys like Subban, Karlsson, Markov, etc also are always up there in giveaways. Not saying that Ehrhoff is as good as them but I'm using their style as a comparable.

Ehrhoff is an offensive d-man, which means that he'd likely have tons of giveaways since he takes more risks with the puck. That's why guys like Subban, Karlsson, Markov, etc also are always up there in giveaways. Not saying that Ehrhoff is as good as them but I'm using their style as a comparable.

All the people who wanted to keep Ehrhoff, would you have signed him to the contract that the Sabres did? I'm not sure I would have, and I wanted to keep his points, even if they came with turnovers. He was a powerplay dynamo.

But man, that contract.

All the people who wanted to keep Ehrhoff, would you have signed him to the contract that the Sabres did? I'm not sure I would have, and I wanted to keep his points, even if they came with turnovers. He was a powerplay dynamo.

But man, that contract.

Maybe on a pure physical level and in a skills compeittion, Garrison is better. However, Salo is a much smarter player and makes better decisions with the puck. He also fits on this team much better. It's no coincidence that once Ehrhoff and Salo left, Edler went on the decline. Edler needs a calming presence on the right side to cover for him so he can lay his big body around and set him up for a big shot.

haha Ehrhoff was offered the same amount as Bieksa which was more than fair but he thought he was worth more. And he hasn't looked all that great in Buffalo since moving there, I am much happier with Garrison considering he can play both ways.

Samuelsson was awful, he always shot at the wrong time and wasted chances. And do I have to remind people when he use to play the point on the power play?

Raffi Torres: Everyone has to get off his nuts, he does provide engery I agree 100% but then again he can give momentum to the other team with a stupid hit. Look at the chicago series in 2011.

Sami Salo: he is a fan favourite no doubt but the guy was only injuried and the contract he got with Tampa Bay no thank you.

Cody Hodgson: He came off a little childish complaining that he wasn't getting enough ice time and asked to be traded. So the Canucks don't need that in their locker room.

Gulumpus post:

While I whole heartedly agree with your points of those players but think of it this way

- yes, thay all had their flaws and we all threw our shoes at ours tv's as they made their errors....BUT.... The sum of all those parts made this team tops in the pp and tops in the pk.

We got rid of Samuelsson and his flaws.... Who did we replace him with? Has his replacement been a noticable improvement?

Ehrhoff.... Who was HIS replacement? Is HIS replacement doing the job better than Erhoff was?

Torres.....?

Salo.....?

Hodgson.....?

THOSE guys helped take us to the finals.... Has the sum of THEIR replacements taken us further....?

I have said it since day 1 that not replacing Ehrhoff with another big-minute, puck-moving d-man effectively closed the Canucks' cup window. Great to see people finally waking up. Knew it would happen eventually.

The Samuelsson for Booth trade seemed like a decent deal at the time. Sucks that it turned out so badly.

Not re-signing Raffi was mind-boggling back in 2011, and it still is now. He provided so much energy to the Canucks squad. Huge loss and it still leaves an effect.

Salo seemed like a big loss as well but he was effectively replaced by Garrison. Both are great defensive d-men with a big shot. Not a huge loss in hindsight.

Trading Cody was a tremendous loss and all the Kassian apologists will realize it in a few years as well.

Well chum, yes they all contributed to (and in some cases often detracted from) team successes. They helped take the team to the finals? Salo, yes. The rest?

Hodgson provided nothing of any substance to the Cup run (12 games, 1 assist, -4).

Samuelsson had one good series in 09 - 10. He played only 11 games in the Cup run. Maybe Samuelsson added some intangibles and leadership in those seasons, or maybe his value is over-valued by some. I wasn't in the dressing room so I can't say, and neither can anyone else who wasn't there.

You suggest that the team hasn't replaced Samuelsson. Perhaps. This being said, what are the reasons to have kept him? I don't see any kind of strong argument to not have traded him, or to have re-signed him assuming he played out his first contract here.

Torres (then) was a loose cannon and as much of a liability as an asset. Higgins as 3LW is miles ahead of Torres at 3LW. If you want to suggest that Torres should be 4LW, then I'd probably be okay with that, but not at $1.75 million per season.

The team defense scored 35 goals the season before Ehrhoff got here. Bieksa and Edler each hit double digits in goals. In the two seasons Ehrhoff played here the team d-men got 42 and 42 goals. Ehrhoff got 14 goals in each of those seasons. Bieksa and Edler's goal production dropped to single digits. Since Ehrhoff was getting the better scoring opportunities (power play and playing with the Sedins 5 on 5) it's not too surprising that other guys' goal totals would go down.

The season after Ehrhoff left, the d-men scored 40 goals. Edler got 11, Bieksa got 8 and Salo 9.

Scoring from the blueline was not really a problem for this team. The thing that I will acknowledge that Ehrhoff seems to have brought to the table, which the team could use, is his chemistry with the Sedins. This being said, I do not value that quality enough to agree that Gillis should have given Ehrhoff the kind of contract he got from the Sabres.

There was never an issue of wanting to re-sign Salo, just the term of the contract. Garrison as replacement for Salo was not the goal. It was hopefully going to be Garrison IN ADDITION to Salo.

Hodgson. Yes, everyone believes that "Cody" would be the answer to all the Canucks' scoring problems.

So what line would he be centering if he was here this season, the first or the second? Who would be his linemates? You'd take Daniel and Burrows from Henrik and play them with Hodgson? What linemates would he have for the second line if you're going to bump Kesler to the third? I suspect that Higgins, Kesler, Hansen would outscore what-ever line Hodgson was centering and would be the de facto "2nd line".

Or would Hodgson be playing center and Kesler would be put to the wing? And Kesler would have to take all of the important faceoffs, and he and Higgins would have to do all of the defensive heavy lifting while Hodgson waited for the puck. I don't see him as being an asset.

regards,

G.

Looking at your sig, regarding the Ballard trade, the Canucks could sure use Grabners goal scoring ability.

Grabner last 3 years: 70 goals

D.Sedin last years: 83 goals

Kesler last 3 years: 67 goals

Raymond last 3 years: 35 goals

Higgins last 3 years: 41 goals

H.Sedin last 3 years: 44 goals

Burrows last 3 years: 67 goals

Hansen last 3 years: 35 goals

Considering it was a front loaded contract but it mightve helped the Sedins production for another few years. This is what i meant in an earlier post.... The sum of all parts made this team better. Ehrhiff alone doesnt make Buffalo or This team better. It was his chemistry and the trickle effect of making others better is the valuable part..... At a cap hit of 4mil a year.... Is still cheaper than everyone but Tanev.

As for the contract.... Its not you and me paying it so yes..... I would support it.

What about Malhotra? This was one of Gillis' best acquisitions - a solid third line defensive centre and a very good faceoff man. It is extremely unfortunate how this unfolded. The loss of Manny was a major blow. Losing Salo hurt too but his contract is too rich for his age.

Archived